BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my last visit to the dealer several weeks ago they applied a new update for the ABS & traction control system. This update has led to a failure of the system resulting in the rear wheel spinning far past its threshold to withhold traction. All I know is the update was released in August for 2021 and is applied on many 2022.
At the moment the damage to my motorcycle and my gear look to be the only issue. All financial at this point.
Since the release of traction control systems I have not ever had this happen over the last 15 years with any motorcycle with such systems in place. Absolutely shocked, but glad the new systems record everything and all of the failures are logged. BMW really screwed up on this one.
Make sure not to allow your dealer to apply this new update.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Glad to hear your alright. Total bummer about the bike though. This post just gives me another reason to continue to stay on the software that came on the bike 2 years ago. Will be interesting to see what and why it happened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,507 Posts
I have a 2021 on the latest software (November 2021 21-11 i-level) Been riding fine with no issues. Do you have an official word from the dealer that BMW actually identified an issue in the software? Because if something like this is true then they would release a bulletin on it and bikes would need to be rolled back.

·
Registered
2022 S1000RR-M
150 Posts
Glad to hear your ok.

Do you have anymore details on the incident, like speed, lean angle, road surface (wet, dry, gravel), tires?

TC has different interventions depending on
the riding mode, which mode you were in?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have a 2021 on the latest software (November 2021 21-11 i-level) Been riding fine with no issues. Do you have an official word from the dealer that BMW actually identified an issue in the software? Because if something like this is true then they would release a bulletin on it and bikes would need to be rolled back.
My update was installed November the 3rd, the build I was told was from August.
Used the GS911 to download all of the files and sent it to BMW NA. No response form the dealer yet.
This literally happened at 4:30 EST. 11/23

trust me I though everything was fine until my dash turned orange the RPM shot up and my ass was on the ground and the bike was sliding down the roadway. Gone from a stop to a left hand turn at 30 MPH was the top recorded speed. RPM shot up to 4055, 1st gear. Road mode. Leaving work to go get a bite of dinner so I could let traffic die off. was not in a hurry. Bike recorded 82 degrees lean angle. That’s a new high score. 68 has been about the max I can get on city streets. Road was dry, no sand or debris. Road is an older asphalt, not something I would take at speed or with any Heavy lateral G forces. Tires are new about 1,700 miles ago. Pirelli Diablo fours. I have the whole event recorded on my phone. Traction control and everything is on. No aggressive acceleration or deceleration recorded. Bike did turn off when it fell over. Now that’s nice and a first time I have ever had the chance to use such a feature.

I just picked the bike up. Got a good look to make sure no fluids where leaking. Turned it over. Gave it another look and then took off down the road. Took it home the whole 20 miles… pissed as hell.

I am completely puzzled. The night before I was out riding doing what the bike was built to do. It dose it well. Night before that I was doing the same thing in the rain/ fog. So the ass end slipping and sliding for me is not a bother. This whole event has me puzzled as if there is another factor I’m not seeing. The things I do on a race bike you would not believe, not bragging or anything. Last time I had a slip was before TC. Lost the ass-end going through a corner at speed, but I recovered it. Something just like this event was, I would say was on my first race bike I owned and that was a GSXR-750. Very, very. Long time ago. Early 20s…

My older brother was a pro road racer back long ago. He would say user error. And I admit I was not on point just was going from point A to Point B. Maybe I was complacent.

I can email you the error reports if you like. Or tell me what to look for and if you want to see anything. But it sounds as if BMW has rolled out another update on the 21. Happy Birthday to me. It was my birthday that day.

only had the bike for four months and just hit 4700miles on the clock. Hope they can get parts or a new bike as fast. I can’t even go 16 hours without my bike. Never had a BMW do this before. Everyone of them have been so perfect.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Glad you're good and appreciate you sharing. Sounds like a very serious issue. I had the opposite on a 2007 R1, 2nd gear hesitation at 5500 rpms. I've hated software on motorcycles ever since.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, thank you! Hopefully everyone has a good thanksgiving. Missing the turkey run tomorrow morning.

Finding out more information as we go along. helps to have the BMW family around during thanksgiving.

Seems to be only a problem at very slow speeds when a fault has occurred to others. Usually the rider will have a prompt attention message on the motorcycle display to take it to the dealer for immediate inspection. It’s a Combination of software and hardware failure. It should not have resulted in a loss of traction being I was in road mode. What I have been told is there are layers and layers that allows the safety functions to operate even in the event of other outside variables or failures.

What had gone wrong is the motorcycle took the throttle input even though it knew the rear wheel could not handle it at that lean angle. My updated software from several weeks ago was to match the ABS & traction control for the M1000RR parts. The update was rolled back and the mistake will apply to an S1000rr in a different a way of being less active. if you just have the parts and not everything else the M1000rr has I can see why the software may have some gaps.
Over the last several weeks ABS & traction control has massively reduced its activation while riding in all my recorded rides. The local BMW dealer said it was normal because the M parts are so much better that they don’t activate the safety protections all the time even when aggressively breaking or other activities that would normally cause ABS and traction control to interject into the ride.

before the update it was every corner I was recording a safety system working it’s self. It worked better than anything I had ever seen before. I had not ridden the bike aggressively since the updated parts and software. Wanting to properly break everything in.
BMW will get it sorted out, they always do. Just hope I’m not on the hook for even more money. At this point I could have bought a M1000RR. Problem was I could not wait a year for it. They got me the motorcycle in 2 months to produce from the factory. I updated all that I could get to make it match the 2022 M. Just seems to be some kinks in the software. Maybe self inflicted. The problem would have been gone on my next BMW visit and software update that was to happen this Friday. Was so close.

just keep going, never giving up.

·
Vendor
4,023 Posts
I also call it working with people that have no clue on what works together at the integration level. It is BMW Motorrad that designed the application of the parts. You got to know the software in the hardware as well to be mixing and matching.

Reactions: bennymx

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wait hang on. What do you mean? What parts do you have fitted? What actual year and model is your bike?
The bike is a May 2021 S1000RR with the M and Premium package. It was a special order and was to come with the same updates that where in the now 2022 S1000RR. So the bike has the M1000RR front calipers, Akrapovic Muffler, M endurance chain, and the USB charging port. Being the factory did not have the M parts on hand they shipped the bike with different hardware and it was changed when the parts became available. When the M1000RR calipers where installeda software update had to be applied so the ABS & Traction control would match the hardware is what I was told. This was the last part to be installed. Also had to rebuild the front forks because the bike arrived with leaking seals.

All together, it’s a complete factory bike with no after market parts. Everything is from BMW, dealer installed everything.

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,507 Posts
The software change for the addition of the Nissin calipers and different master cylinder is to do with pressure and volume differences compared to the other master cylinder and Hayes calipers. The ABS needs these changes to correctly intervene when needed and to be calibrated. As far as a wheel braking traction. This has nothing do with the pressure related changes. Although the ABS is indeed updated, if the update was corrupt, you would have all bikes with this software having issues which we have seen none.

The second point is that based on your fault codes. The DME has either lost power or the CAN high and CAN low wires are faulty. The ABS and KOMBI have both reported multiple instances of no communication to the DME. The ABS also has a direct Terminal 15 wire to it which is ignition power. It detected the DME did not have T15. So in terms of rectifying this fault, it could well be software but given we have not seen it anywhere else. The fault is local to your bike. It looks like a wiring issue causing a communication error with the DME. Like the DME just shut off and the other control units lost communication with it which is evident of the no CAN faults.

I also noticed that all fault codes occurred at the same mileage except for 1. It occurred 535 miles later. This paints a picture of the original DME issue happening way before the later fault which seems from the crash.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So basically my bike has its own issue. Faulty wiring or something? 535 miles ago sounds right around the time the bike was last at the dealer.

it’s going to the dealer Friday, hopefully it can get handled in short order. But they said anything that has to do with electronic parts is a major problem right now with long lead times.

Thanks for the help, in going through all the information. Just don’t know a lot about that could have cause what happened to happen. So many things have happened with the motorcycle in the last several months it’s very hard to pinpoint a cause when I just don’t know anything about the software and hardware.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also call it working with people that have no clue on what works together at the integration level. It is BMW Motorrad that designed the application of the parts. You got to know the software in the hardware as well to be mixing and matching.
Your correct, I have absolutely no clue. That why I posted and shared as much information as I could recall. Tried to get in touch with anyone I could to find out if there is even one chance someone has experience anything similar.

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,507 Posts
It is of course possible all the non communication faults from the DME were at a prior mileage when it was at the dealer for an update. When the bike is updated it does turn things on and off and at the end of the measures plan one of the tasks is to clear any faults. So its possible they were left over and not current faults as the mileage would indicate. But the fault after all of that seems to relate to crashing the bike. So if that's the case then we would have no faults as a result of what ever happened. I can only comment based on the evidence I am given.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts