BMW S1000RR Forum banner

141 - 160 of 235 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I write software for a living and even today other engineers would still say "It's only software". No appreciations at all for what we do, it still takes time to develop codes and there's cost similar to any other engineering services.

Complex stability control/ABS software does not magically appear on a manufacture's doorstep at no additional cost.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
We under value code, especially that which needs to interface flawlessly with complex active mechanical systems such as stability control and ABS.

It is the same reason many happily steal a copy of a CD from a friend, but would never steal the same CD from a store. Anything digital is free, right?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Complex stability control/ABS software does not magically appear on a manufacture's doorstep at no additional cost.

If they sell a bike that has 190hp to EVERYONE even to stupid people that buy it as a 1st bike YESSSSS they must do everything in their power to protect the life of their customer that might give them more money in the future. MONEY is the only thing big companies understand.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
So, according to this cynical view, BMW should provide upgraded software for free to all as at least one rider may survive to buy a future BMW?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
So, according to this cynical view, BMW should provide upgraded software for free to all as at least one rider may survive to buy a future BMW?
That is the only thing big companies care, money... Wish they care more about people but their goal is again MONEY

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
That is the only thing big companies care, money... Wish they care more about people but their goal is again MONEY
These companies are not non-profit businesses out to make the world a better place with no profit motive but to say that is the "only thing" they care about? Wow. I'm glad I don't live in your world. Google the phrase "enlightened self-interest." All of the evidence that I have suggests that this is the philosophy that guides BMW Motorrad and many other companies with which we do business.

People who think all software should be free might spend a moment considering what the world would be like today if no one was able to make money off of software. The dear friend that I just visited last week for riding works for a company that leads the world in software that turns medical imaging data into 3D visual representations. This is a product helping to save lives that cost hundreds of millions to develop. If they had to give it away to be "ethical" it wouldn't exist.

A related observation - the world seems to be flush with people who are spring loaded to feel like victims. People like that will always find a way to assign blame for their misfortunes.

Reactions: wfo439 and sro

·
4,756 Posts
People who think all software should be free might spend a moment considering what the world would be like today if no one was able to make money off of software. The dear friend that I just visited last week for riding works for a company that leads the world in software that turns medical imaging data into 3D visual representations. This is a product helping to save lives that cost hundreds of millions to develop. If they had to give it away to be "ethical" it wouldn't exist.
This is false info. Open source software can be very profitable. You cannot argue with success, can you? Look at Linux, a prime example.

Look at Lucene, an open source search engine. Used by millions of sites. It drove many commercial search engines out of business (I,e Altavista, etc...). There are multi million dollar companies built on top of it.

Tomcat as a Java web server to replace commercial ones from IBM, Oracle, etc... I have saved companies millions switching to open source. While at the same time benefiting the open source community.

With the right business model open source can be more profitable than closed source. Look at how much revenue Microsoft lost because they have the same business model you're advocating.

Software alone is not what makes money, it's service, integration, support, etc... clearly you have been brain washed. It's really simple to know which side people and developers prefer. Compare jobs in open source vs closed source technologies. You will get a good idea.

In medical field, open source needs a good governing body to make it succeed.

I think software should be free like sex (beside the first date). :wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
A related observation - the world seems to be flush with people who are spring loaded to feel like victims. People like that will always find a way to assign blame for their misfortunes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said x infinity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
BMW should give me protective gear for free or at cost to help keep me safe.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oh boy. This thread sure gets interesting. :D My comment was from an Ethical ethical viewpoint.
I think most people agree that BMW is not about charity, and that to develop new tech, they need more money.

·
Registered
758 Posts
If its reasonably priced I'm cool with paying.

Weren't the pre 2015 models over $1000? Maybe that includes some hardware too?

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said x infinity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:grin2:

@PittsDriver 100% correct. This would particularly apply to anyone under 30 indoctrinated by public schools and today's universities with commie instructors that have tenure. The snow flakes are taught that they are victims if anyone says anything that offends them. "Micro aggressions" they are called. They now need "safe rooms" with puppies and the things they need to feel good to cope. It is the progressive way of eliminating the first amendment.

But, I digress.ABS Pro has additional lean angle code. ABS is traditional ABS is standard. You got exactly what you paid for.

MS provides "free" updates to fix their F__k ups. 'Nuff said. :wink2:

Reactions: 5150 Pops

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Well, if a manufacturer can enhance rider safety at no aditional cost, and with a push of button save lifes, IMHO i cannot see how this would not be a free and strongly recommended upgrade from an ethical standpoint.
You think there was no cost to BMW Motorrad to create this ability to "push a button save lives?"

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well, if a manufacturer can enhance rider safety at no aditional cost, and with a push of button save lifes, IMHO i cannot see how this would not be a free and strongly recommended upgrade from an ethical standpoint.
You think there was no cost to BMW Motorrad to create this ability to "push a button save lives?"
Creating the ability: most definetly. Pushing the button would not be any aditional. As the bike is hooked up to the computer every service.

Anyway it cost what it costs.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Creating the ability: most definetly. Pushing the button would not be any aditional. As the bike is hooked up to the computer every service.

Anyway it cost what it costs.
:serious:

There would have been thousands of hours of programming and testing this new feature.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
:serious:

There would have been thousands of hours of programming and testing this new feature.
Can you imagine the track test time that went in to honing this feature for release to the public? Wet/dry testing, different tires and suspension settings/options? At several hundred dollars charged per upgrade install (pushing the button) I'm going to guess that they'll never recoup the cost of development and testing. It's the market going forward on new bikes that make all that R&D and testing worth while. Again, kudos to BMW for making the decision to make recent bikes upgradable at any price.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Got this as part of an email today

Anyone else in the USA get this too?

ABS PRO: THE ULTIMATE BRAKING UPGRADE IS NOW AVAILABLE.

ABS PRO: THE ULTIMATE BRAKING UPGRADE IS NOW AVAILABLE.

The introduction of ABS Pro by BMW Motorrad once again enhances the safety of modern motorcycling by enhancing stopping distance and directional stability when braking while leaning through a corner. In street riding situations, a brake system with ABS Pro offers more control when cornering for maximum safety and an even more enjoyable motorcycling experience.

Owners of HP4s and 2012-2016 S 1000 RR without ABS Pro from the factory may now retrofit this evolution in safety to your machine. See your authorized BMW Motorrad Dealer for cost and details specific to your bike.

SEE YOUR AUTHORIZED BMW MOTORRAD DEALER FOR DETAILS.

141 - 160 of 235 Posts