BMW S1000RR Forum banner

121 - 140 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
There are two updated sensor part numbers from a late 15 and a 16 (crashed that fast!) on eBay right now if any 12 - 14 owners are interested.

For pre March build 15 owners, I'm not convinced we'll need to upgrade sensors so I'm going to hold off until BMW confirms.

The latest part number is backwards compatible w/ the early 15 part number and both HP4 part numbers (all speed sensor v2), but that's not the case for older bikes w/ the v1; I'm betting on the v1 sensor bikes being the only ones that will need to upgrade to 6524 which just happens to be the latest v2 part number. It would put the 15 pricing in line w/ the HP4 price and non yaw sensor exhchange price listed above.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Don't see it. How much?

Real OEM does not publish prices. It's good for searching part numbers. I strictly used it for cars parts until @d40 pointed out it also has motorcycle parts.

ABS Pro is a software upgrade so you have to go through a dealer.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Don't see it. How much?

Real OEM does not publish prices. It's good for searching part numbers. I strictly used it for cars parts until @d40 pointed out it also has motorcycle parts.

ABS Pro is a software upgrade so you have to go through a dealer.
It's on KFM for about $400USD, so even with shipping its a bit cheaper than straight from the dealer. Not sure what they would charge to "install" it though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If a motorcycle magazine questioned BMW to why they charge stupid money for a life saving software update, i would be interested in seing their response.

Ethicaly that is wrong on so many levels.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Would you guys rather that they made the decision to make their bikes not software upgradeable? How many times have people bought a new motorcycle only to find out that a year later some new feature was added - and if you wanted it, you'd have to trade your bike?

I say kudos to BMW Motorrad for designing their bikes with some level of upgradability. Kudos for them to be committed to making all of their bikes with ABS standard and for leading the industry on dynamic riding aids like ESA, ASC, DTC, DDC, and now ABS Pro. We should be encouraging motorcycle manufacturers to do the research and development on these aids and bring them to market. And the way the market encourages that is by being willing to pay for it. Last time I checked, BMW Motorrad was not a 501(c)(3) corporation.

The manufacturer that baffles the ef out of me is Honda. They are the manufacturer that brought us the slogan "You meet the nicest people on a Honda." They proudly proclaim that they aren't engaging in the HP war in sport bikes. And then in 2016, you still can't buy a sport bike from them that has more than a tiny fraction of the tech and rider aids available on just about every other manufacturer. ABS is a pricey option there. They are the low price option for a liter size sport bike which appeals to young people of limited ability and yet, those are exactly the riders that need those aids the most as a safety net. If you want to vent your moral outrage at a manufacturer, it should be Honda receiving it says I.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Everybody understands their businessmodel. Ethicaly this is a dilemma. They are compromising rider safety for money.

Governments are trying to make motorcycle ABS mandatory around the globe for this very reason, and a manufacturer deliberatly preventivt this to work at its best is questionable at best imho.

Imagine Volvo demanding more money for their ABS or Airbag to work better. That would be all over the news

·
Premium Member
4,063 Posts
Manufacturers have always charged for new and better. Many cars only come with stability control at extra cost, upgraded brakes cost more on many vehicles, automatic emergency braking costs more, ABS was a cost option for years until it was Federally mandated, etc.

I find more annoying that BMW charges $350+ to update the GPS map in my BMW, when a Garmin handheld works better, costs less than BMW's map update, and provides lifetime map updates.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I find more annoying that BMW charges $350+ to update the GPS map in my BMW, when a Garmin handheld works better, costs less than BMW's map update, and provides lifetime map updates.

Google Map.

·
Registered
704 Posts
There is an updated owner's manual on BMW's website, for 8/2015 onward, that prominently discusses ABS PRO. The footnotes list it as OA and OE, which means it will likely be available from the factory for 17.

There are still several mistakes, i.e. the perception that overrun cutoff is deactivated regardless of throttle response selected in User mode and its insistence that there is a 'units' sub menu but otherwise it's certainly worth a download.

*http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Everybody understands their businessmodel. Ethicaly this is a dilemma. They are compromising rider safety for money.

Governments are trying to make motorcycle ABS mandatory around the globe for this very reason, and a manufacturer deliberatly preventivt this to work at its best is questionable at best imho.

Imagine Volvo demanding more money for their ABS or Airbag to work better. That would be all over the news
BMW put ABS on all models they sell way before most others offered it as options on a few models. Was that safety for money? They also put the Bosch control unit on '15s without having the software (and thus the feature) available. They sold those bikes not as upgradable bikes but just bikes without the feature even though the hardware was there. Because they already included that controller in the '15, they can offer a cheap upgrade for ABS Pro now.

I'm missing how that is unethical? This is a feature that first became available on KTMs, then Ducati, and now BMW that no one else has. It's enabled by the new Bosch controller. All the rest of the motorcycle manufacturers don't have it. Are they putting money before safety to not go include this in their bikes? Where do you draw the line?

Is it your assertion that any safety feature that's been invented, and any that haven't been invented yet, all be included at no charge to be an ethical manufacturer?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Is it your assertion that any safety feature that's been invented, and any that haven't been invented yet, all be included at no charge to be an ethical manufacturer?
Well, if a manufacturer can enhance rider safety at no aditional cost, and with a push of button save lifes, IMHO i cannot see how this would not be a free and strongly recommended upgrade from an ethical standpoint.

121 - 140 of 235 Posts