BMW S1000RR Forum banner

ABS light

14K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Bryan Tang 
#1 ·
2010, I can't remember the last time I noticed my ABS light blinking when I started my bike. Actually my buddy noticed it yesterday.

Question is why? TC works great, ABS dies not work. I have a 911 and no error codes.

I have removed the front wheel earlier this year and don't believe I bumped the sensor, even if I had shouldn't I get a ABS light?

Could it be a fuse? Where would that be located?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Maybe do a physical inspection? The sensor should be quite close to the speed ring, but not touching, rotate the wheel by hand and see.

By blinking do you mean the yellow lights on the left of the dash, those that usually go away quickly after you jump on the bike and start moving? Does the speedo show the speed properly?

#4 · (Edited)
Skygun mentioned to me offline that when he grabs a handful of brake, he's able to lift the rear wheel off the ground. When I do the same on my RR, the ABS light will blink and I can (violently) feel the brake modulating the pads, which I think means ABS is working.

Doesn't seem like a fuse problem to me - I'd think he'd be able to read an error code on his 911 if the system wasn't functional. Seems his sensor isn't allowing the system to engage.

Skygun: Try locking up your rear wheel (just be careful). You should feel the ABS modulate the pads. If the ABS works on the rear it's almost for sure not a fuse related problem.

#7 ·
Well interesting story. I changed rear pads last night because I wasn't able to lock the rear wheel.
So after that I again tried I couldn't tell if pedal was pulsing or not but no rear skid.
So I turned off TC, Jim suggested that, and I tried it again. I got a chirp but nothing to write home about.
So I'm not sure the rear can kick up full bore? Not sure any SS can maybes someone can tell me?

#8 ·
You're welcome to try riding my bike tomorrow to see how (I think) the ABS system should behave. As long as you can stop the bike safely (and quickly) I think you'll be okay to ride it - you may just need to be cognisant of the fact that the bike won't try to save your butt if you grab too much brake. :)

Almost seems that the brake system needs bleeding - but I know you already tried that.

#9 ·
1. What year is your bike?
2. Both ABS and TC lights should flash when the ignition is turned on. Once you take off they both should go out.
3. If the lights are solid then you either have TC or ABS turned off or you have a fault.
4. If the gap between the sensor and ring is too great the light will not go out and will go solid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.