BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now THIS, looks like a fun, proper race bike. 128hp and 308.6lbs dry? Fun!
KTM RC 8C
Ready to unleash the KTM RC 8C | KTM - YouTube

As I speculated, this just makes sense. While I wouldn't be interested in a 390, THIS, looks like a blast, and plenty fast enough for just about anyone. It'd be cool if they did an RC 8C racing series like Suzuki did for the GSXR's back in the mid '80's.

Registered
My friend has a kramer gp2 which is basically what this bike is without the moustache wing. He likes it alot. Incredibly light to the point its hard to keep the tires warm on a cold day

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My friend has a kramer gp2 which is basically what this bike is without the moustache wing. He likes it alot. Incredibly light to the point its hard to keep the tires warm on a cold day
Probably wouldn't be a problem with my...ahhh...plus-sized @ss as I'm probably 240lbs in gear.

Looks like a blast! Simple, compact, parallel-twin motor, making probably what a high-strung 600 makes with less complexity, and narrower. Kinda pricey if the 390 is any indication, but, fun if you got the $$!

Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
Any word as to whether they are making a street legal version? I have found it a bit weird for them to be on MotoGP without having a sport bike to sell to the masses. You have to wonder what they have coming.

This is old news man. Limited number, all sold out. It does make a good track bike. But I hate twins for track. Nothing like a bike that redlines at 15k+.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is old news man. Limited number, all sold out. It does make a good track bike. But I hate twins for track. Nothing like a bike that redlines at 15k+.
Well, the video is from yesterday, so... This is the first I've heard of it.

Have you actually ridden one of these? Might reset your expectations. If you want to go REALLY fast, then yeah, I'd have an 'RR for the track. But, even though it seems pricey, I still think this would be a blast, a lot more fun than the 600's, and a great entry into trackdays/racing if you've got the $$ to get one. Some people might even go faster on this than a 1k because it's probably a lot easier to ride and a lot less intimidating. Plus, what, 100lbs lighter?

I've always thought that back in the day when 1000cc twins were allowed to compete against 750cc 4's in Superbike, that a good parallel-twin would be more effective than the Ducati V-twins or the TLR's etc. Better packaging and more compact cg.

I rode standard 890 Duke, and a Kramer. They are light, nimble. But redline too soon for a track bike.
890 would be great for middle weight class to play with 765 moto2 & V2. Don't get me wrong, rc 8c 890 would be a great track bike, but for the money I would be on a 1000cc.

KTM screwed up making this a limited edition for $40k. They should have priced it closer to YART track only R6 around $18k.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I rode standard 890 Duke, and a Kramer. They are light, nimble. But redline too soon for a track bike.
890 would be great for middle weight class to play with 765 moto2 & V2. Don't get me wrong, rc 8c 890 would be a great track bike, but for the money I would be on a 1000cc.

KTM screwed up making this a limited edition for $40k. They should have priced it closer to YART track only R6 around $18k.
Yeah, I agree, seems like they marketed it more as a "collectable" than a racer. Not that they obviously didn't have a big enough market for them (sold out), but, man, they should be priced where us normal people can afford them. They look like a ton of fun, too bad only the limited few will be able to try one. Sad.

Registered

I think you need to go to some more technical tracks. At Loudon where I race the track records for 600s and 1000s are within a tenth of a second of each other. There's even a kid on a 450 supermoto that has got within 4 seconds of the 1000/600 record.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you need to go to some more technical tracks. At Loudon where I race the track records for 600s and 1000s are within a tenth of a second of each other. There's even a kid on a 450 supermoto that has got within 4 seconds of the 1000/600 record.
Agreed. I think something like the Streets Of Willow would be good for the 8C, I think they'd top out too soon on the Big Track. Although, the AMA Superbikes of back in the day probably didn't have a lot more HP, and probably weighed 60lbs more. H3ll, even Laguna Seca would probably be a good track for these, with it's lack of a really long straight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts