BMW S1000RR Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So something interesting. in the you tube video at 1:33 and 1:40, the data logger dos not pick up any data... herewith a snapshot of the data between that time... Everything is blank until I switch the bike off.

·
Vendor
2,512 Posts
So something interesting. in the you tube video at 1:33 and 1:40, the data logger dos not pick up any data... herewith a snapshot of the data between that time... Everything is blank until I switch the bike off.
When the ECU goes into a DME: Fuse Error > There are 3 levels that I have seen on ECU's I have worked on for others.

Level 3 the ECU will shut down and typically does not recover and BMW dealer only solution is to offer to replace the ECU. I have successfully recovered several of these ECU's back to working order.

Level 2 the ECU will shut down, but might recover from a key off key on event.

Not sure about level 1 as I have only seen this error on 2020 K67 ECU and I know what caused that error.

you have Fuse activated for component System Supply , but that is HexCode and RCK2 translating the actual BMW error from ISTA. Components such as bad Cam or Crank sensors fall under this designation. Typically it is a 5v component. In ISTA this error is going to be defined more exact. DME: Fuse Error ( level 1 2 or 3 )

However, you have Injection errors at the injector level. The typical cause of this is bad injector drivers and these are in the ECU, or bad injectors, or bad wiring in some way/injector connectors.

The ECU gets hot even under normal use. The air flow is not very good around the ECU under the fuel tank cowl. Alpha GERMANY made a ECU bracket holder out of aluminum for the K67 to be a heatsink and relieve some of the heat built up in the ECU. I never seen one for the K46, as it does get hot, but not even as hot as the K67 does.

I have repaired / cloned about 30 BMSKP, BMSX, BMSMP ECU's over 4 years due to related issues like the injector drivers or coil drivers are not working. Usually the symptoms are running really bad at 8000 RPM, wont start, wont idle... I have heard it all from people.

In about 3 cases of me cloning the ECU to a replacement, the issue turned out to be throttle bodies on one, bad wiring on one, and I forgot the other. So it is not 100% that the ECU is bad, but, it is a good chance the ECU is bad.

If you have another running bike and the ECU's are identical in hardware.. IE > 606 for 606 ( 12 and some 13 ), or 622 for 622 ( some 2013 and all 2014 ) , ... ( ok I just read your GS911 report. The part number 8543376 is the 622 ECU.) The donor test bike you swap the clock ( cluster ), ignition with key, ECU for a test for the same issue to occur. If it is does occur, it is not the ECU.

If you decide it is the ECU, or the one you have to test with turns out to be different than yours and you want a replacement ECU, I can code one based on your VIN, I can copy your key cut from just a picture. You dont have to send me anything for me to make a running ECU for you. However, if you want me to clone your ECU, you will have to send it to me so I can get the BINARY from it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thank you for this. I will revert back after the test on Wednesday.

Still one thing that boggles my mind. I looked at the race footage of race one and this happened in exactly the same corner, same lap and same lean angle. Still dont understand why it only cuts power in a corner and not in a straight line??

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Swapped ECU over, not that either.

Removed Power commander, not that.

All I can think now is a break in the harness or the tilt sensor. Will see if I can source one.

Any Ideas?

GS911 now:

10154/10155/10156/10157 - Injector valve 5/6/7/8 fault
10442 - Fuse activated for component system supply (O2 sensors, Fuel EVAP, secondary air valve, Fan motor for K and F series)

By looking at 10442:

O2 sensors: Diconnected as I am running PCV AFR.
Fuel Evap: As I have an EU bike, I am sure this is not on the EU model
Secondary air valve: Is this the PAIR valve? I have PAIR block off on the bike.
Fan motoe: I dont have the K or F series, so cant be that..

I am lost here....

·
Vendor
2,512 Posts
DME Fuse level 1 is 5v signals usually. You are looking at the wrong components. Cam, Crank, Transmission position, TPS, ... these are 3 wire sensors. 5V reference. Look at the wiring and these components. A simple bad ground can cause these errors too. There are 2 wiring harness grounding points besides the black on the battery terminal. The main ground at the starter area. Large Brown wires bolts to block. Then the black wire bolted to the head.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So after this weekend fiddling with the bike:

Found injector #1 wire shaven through.
Found right hand side oxygen sensor wire shaven through and touching engine. (Think this was the 10442 error... Well I hope)
Found the inserts of 2 coil plugs stayed on the spark plug when I removed the coil.
Replaced injector 5/6/7/8 with new ones
Replaced all spark plugs

Planning to still:

Replace tilt sensor
Have a look at the power commander map loaded as it might be set a bit too lean.

I have not tested the bike as yet. Will try this weekend coming.

Regarding the O2 wire... It was switched off in the RCK. Will it still have 12 volt power? Will it still short out? The O2 is plugged out because of the power commander and AFR...

·
Vendor
2,512 Posts
So after this weekend fiddling with the bike:

Regarding the O2 wire... It was switched off in the RCK. Will it still have 12 volt power? Will it still short out? The O2 is plugged out because of the power commander and AFR...
The answer to this is that O2 is only turned off in the ECU by not looking at the parameters from the sensor/no DTC MIL set. The 12v is still on the wiring. That is why it is best to just remove the O2's from the header and use the plugs in the O2 bun holes.

You pretty much eliminated the issue to the wiring when you used the spare ECU and clocks from the other test bike. Those harness are all over ebay cheap. You best direction is to get a nice looking harness with low miles of a good seller and ship it to you. I have several nice ones in stock if you want to get one from me. Not sure if it is better for you to buy from Europe or USA. I am sure with time you can find the issues of the harness if you already see all these bad spots. You only need to replace what I call the engine harness. That is a short and light weight section compared to what I call the chassis harness.

you can get the harness off the test bike you used for the ECU testing also if you have a really good friend that will let you remove that for testing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Recheck all connectors.
Had the same problem.
Found that camshaft sensor connector wasn't plugged all the way in and with time, came out. Reconnected and problem is gone.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Problem is fixed, but cant tell you exactly what the issue was.

Did the following:

Replace coils
Replace spark plugs
Replace top injectors
Fixed shaven through wire on lambda lead
Removed the Power commander with auto tune and quick shifter
Reset all adaptions

41 - 51 of 51 Posts