BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a 520 conversion on my 1299 and went from 39 to 41 teeth on the rear sprocket. Saw nice gains. Then did a 520 conversion on my S1000R but went down 2 teeth on the rear sprocket and saw that I actually had a gear box without going through the gears fast. Nice power band. Now what would I feel if I went up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket on my 2016 S1000RR? And did a 520 conversion. Would I feel a big difference in low to mid range like I did on my 1299? I know I would lose a bit on the top but I never hit that full top. On the 2016 I have a sprint air filter, Rapid bike + my tuning and austin racing cat delete. The other bikes have similar setups with the exception of the 1299 which doesnt have a my tuning because rapid bike doesnt make it for a vtwin and has a temi exhaust while the s1000R had a full akra system with 2018 gp can on a 2015 bike. I made it fit

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
"Gains" are a misnomer in that case, you're simply trading one thing for another. ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Gains" are a misnomer in that case, you're simply trading one thing for another. ;)
The OEM rear sprocket has 45 teeth from what I understand. When I went from 39 teeth to 41 teeth on the rear sprocket on my 1299 I felt a big difference. Good thing I didnt go 42 teeth like a few guys did. No point in having wheelie control then on the 1299. But the 41 teeth feels great. Especially with my rapid bike, exhaust and airfilter. Love how the 1299 is now. On my S1000R I went down to a 42 rear sprocket and did a 520 conversion. The bike feels like it actually has a gear box. Less vibration. Taller gearing and now while at 3800 rpms Im at the same speeds as when I had the stock rear sprocket and the rpms were at 4500 doing the same speed as Im doing at 3800. If I go up 1 or even maybe 2 teeth on the rear sprocket on the 2016 S1000RR will I then gain more low to mid range and lose top end and the bike will feel more like my 1299 Panigale? I like how the S1000R feels. I take this bike out to work or on rides when I want to relax and going down teeth on the rear sprocket helped a lot. Allegedly going down 2 teeth on the S1000R along with the riding position and Rizoma handle bars make riding a lot more comfortable after a hangover when someone wants to ride to work but not in a race position like on a 1299 Panigale or S1000RR.

·
Administrator
6,700 Posts
I don't see how dropping 3 teeth could drop your revs 900 rpm in top gear. That's a 20 per cent reduction with only a 6 percent sprocket reduction? Maybe you were in 5th before?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts