BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

newbie here, saying hello!
Based in North east England and racing mad.

Trying to absorb everything about the S1000RR but just discovered it so go easy please.

Had lots of petrolhead fun over the years but got a new 3 year plan that includes a S1000RR to be bought v soon and, after I have learnt to ride it fast enough, convert it into race trim and compete, eventually.(part of the 3 year plan!)

So, if I could ask a couple of questions for starters please...

# Does anyone, from the North East of England, club race a S1000RR at present?
# Are all S1000RR's the same spec wise or is there a specific model that is closer to a club racer than the other models?

Thanks for your patience reading this far with a newbies 1st post!

Brian P.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you got prior racing experience or are you thinking about starting racing with a 1000cc superbike ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi Wiwee,

I guess I am starting again from scratch as my club racing was on Nortons and Velos in the 70s and 80s.

I guess you think I am mad rather than just racing mad... ;)

Brian P.

·
Vendor
7,705 Posts
Performance-wise, the options of Race ABS, DTC, and Quickshifter are about the only differences. HP/Torque on all models is the same. I've seen some Carbon editions over seas but forgot what Country that was offered in. From what I can tell that's about it. Someone posted a Video of a Race Ready S1000RR that had different fairings (race fairings) but I haven't seen that version for sale anywhere... so maybe they were just talking about the rest of the technical aspect of the bike (ABS/DTC/Quickshift/etc.).

Welcome aboard BTW!

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you go on the MCN site there a dealer in England that will sell you a fully set up S1000RR in race trim,it will save you time and money buying a street and setting it up for race,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers for the welcome and the info 1000RR!

HatchetTHatcher-
I have seen a Park Lane option of a race ready S1000RR for around 5k over std but my plan doesn't work that way.

# buy Std (new or nearly new),
# get riding experience of it,
# track days,
# get to know bike setup,
# convert bike
# club racing for sigs/nat lic,
# Culmination of my 3 year plan!

thanks anyway
Brian P.

·
Registered
116 Posts
cheers for the welcome and the info 1000RR!

HatchetTHatcher-
I have seen a Park Lane option of a race ready S1000RR for around 5k over std but my plan doesn't work that way.

# buy Std (new or nearly new),
# get riding experience of it,
# track days,
# get to know bike setup,
# convert bike
# club racing for sigs/nat lic,
# Culmination of my 3 year plan!

thanks anyway
Brian P.
Sounds like a good plan,I race over here and have raced the roads in Ireland years ago before I moved here too the USA,At the moment I race a ducati 748 and a Duc 749,and next season I will be racing the S1000RR ,If I was you I would buy yourself a cheap 600 too start racing because you will have a few spills learning the tracks and bike and as you get your speed up,That my two cents,Its all up to you what way you want to go,Good luck it good too see new people getting into racing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi HT, do you have a spec yet for the S1000? Will you buy new or used?

I'm planning to do a couple of sessions at the Haslam race school Silverstone, as soon as poss', to make sure I still have the necessary race craft. (I'm also taking some family along to ride the 600s and to get the rest of the team motivated).

If it doesn't all come back quickly to me the plan is a dead duck!

Brian P.

·
Registered
116 Posts
hi HT, do you have a spec yet for the S1000? Will you buy new or used?

I'm planning to do a couple of sessions at the Haslam race school Silverstone, as soon as poss', to make sure I still have the necessary race craft. (I'm also taking some family along to ride the 600s and to get the rest of the team motivated).

If it doesn't all come back quickly to me the plan is a dead duck!

Brian P.
Hey Brian,I bought my S1000RR New for the street ,but I have made my mind up that I'm going too race it next season,My mate has started racing one this year so he will have all the work done :D,You should have no problems with racing as you have done it before,I took nearly 8 years away from racing and started racing again 3 years ago,with a few set back at the start but it all came back the first day I line up at the start ,So dont worry and go have fun thats what it's all about,Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you will have some good data on what works and what needs work.
What bikes are you competing against with the S1000?

It would be good to see a few photos as you do the rebuild/conversion.

Thanks for the support on the race front. I have kept my hand in over the years and look forward to the trick parts of the modern bike.

Brian P.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds like you will have some good data on what works and what needs work.
What bikes are you competing against with the S1000?

It would be good to see a few photos as you do the rebuild/conversion.

Thanks for the support on the race front. I have kept my hand in over the years and look forward to the trick parts of the modern bike.

Brian P.
I will competing against GSXR 1000 and 1198 ducs and R1 so it will be fun,It taken me a bit of time too get used too the S1000RR been that I'm racing Ducati's for years,Ill let you know when I start getting the S1000RR ready over the winter for next season Racing,You'll have a lot of fun with the modern bikes that's what its all about ,We'll never make a living out of racing:DBest of Luck with it all,What my dad used too say you have too go slow too go fast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts