BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear gentlemen and probably gentlemen again..

First of all I want to say that I did check on the search section and even though I've found similar topics, those were at least 8 months old so I do believe it's better to start new than to bring back old posts. Also didn't want to post that on the 2020RR topic one seems mine is a 2018.

I have got my 2018RR about 2 months ago as a second hand. The bike wasn't in perfect condition on the first place but I knew it and was ready to fix eventual issues. The bike was running perfectly and then suddenly that ticking sound that so many people heard/complain about appeared. About 1500kms (900miles) after I got it.

Quite silent while idling, getting faster and louder when the RPMs goes up. I do have a full austin racing system and regardless of that I can still clearly hear that sound at least until 5000RPM. After that the exhaust gets too noisy for me to hear anything tbh..

I already checked online similar issues and people came out with those answers :

• Cam chain (I checked it it's all good)
  • Clutch (I checked it and actually even changed it when I bought the bike so it's almost new)
  • Cylinder head (It was the first thing I checked when the noise started and it was all clear)
  • Header section / valves (I changed my full system about a week ago and also no problem there)

The best way for me to express that noise is like if you are descending on a bicycle and you aren't actually cycling. You get that chain "tic tic tic" noise. I get the exact same one.

I have seen @bennymx commenting on a similar subject 8 months ago stating that he also faced that problem on 2 bikes and despite checking everything they never found the reason.

In my case, even after a test ride, BMW didn't notice anything either.

Despite knowing that this issue could be considered as "normal" what doesn't make sense to me is that I didn't have it originally. A noise suddenly coming out of the bike needs to have a reason. If there wasn't any reason then you would have had that noise from the start.

Last but not least, when I start the bike, the ticking noise isn't noticeable. It actually start when the engine temperature goes up. 30 degrees is the start and from 55 degrees it just gets to the most noisy part. One more thing that confuse me a lot because I don't get how the engine temperature could influence that noise..

I honestly think I have tried it all but I'm obviously totally open to new ideas on how to fix this thing. I had an S1000R before and it was working perfectly. Even though the RR is absolutely amazing, I'm already considering selling it only because of that ticking noise which just drives me crazy every time I ride it...

Save me :D

Sorry for the long message and thank you for reading to the end (or not?)

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
You never indicated what miles are on the bike now. I see you rode 900 miles, but what are the miles total?

The cam chains typically last well to 25000 if it is a track heavy use type application. If you just ride the bike and play a little canyon riding, I would expect it to last 50K miles.

The 18's have exhibited a problem over the last couple of years. The heads of the valves are snapping off. There have been a couple here on the forum, and a couple here locate in Texas. The heads of the valves have snapped off at as low as 6k miles, but I have notice several are in the 8k-10k range.

Ticking drives me crazy too. I have 14, 15, 17, 18, and 2020. My 15 had to have a cam chain at 24K, my 18 has 7k and is pretty quiet, my 2020 is very ticky noisy. I hate it almost, but the mechanical grip and the EXWERKS V2 ECU code make the bike so much fun to ride. My 18 and 15 run and ride and I just dont put in the time on them any more.

The ticking being tooooooo loud on the 15-19 K46 is not really normal. Once I replaced my cam chain in the 15, it was awesome quiet and even ran better. My 18 some day I will check the chain on it just to do it, but no hurry since I have not rode it since September 2019.

The 2020 is the new normal of ticking BMW says. I cannot imagine what is making so much noise in there and it does not blow up. I have 8k hard miles on the thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

You're totally right I forgot the main info : I bought the bike at 5600 miles, ticking started at 6500 and currently got 7200 miles. Bike also (well theoretically since the previous owner could have lied) never been on a track.

I also thought about the valves tbh but when the shop opened the bike and checked it they couldn't find any issue there.. And yeah I also realised that it was quite a current problem but I have also realised that about half of the people complaining about it in the end managed to solve the issue despite BMW originally denying that anything is wrong.

So I still wanna keep some hope..

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
One problem with helping people with these types of issues is the history. I sit here and I think of all the possible issues but, I cannot know the exact history and care of the engine overall.

Oil changes are so important. Correct oil filter is even important.

Then there is over rev's. How many people go to slamming gears and hit the false neutral resulting in extreme over rev's if you dont know to catch it. Bang the limiter. Track riding from corner to corner with improper gearing will cause people to hold a gear too long and bang the limiter. So many factors in the history which you dont even know the truth since you brought it used.

·
Administrator
7,130 Posts
If it didn't have the noise when you bought it, what oil was in it? Did you change to a different oil? Is the noise less when you have fresh oil in it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I know that finding the problem over a forum is quite difficult. But the point is BMW isn't very helpful when I go there so I was kinda looking for someone who had the exact same issue and for how he/she fixed it in order to do the same without asking anything to BMW.

@skapan It's difficult to speak for the previous owner. On my side I did change the oil right away when I picked up the bike (I used Elf 10W50). I didn't change my oil again yet since it's been only 1500miles since I changed it previously. If it was due to the oil it would means that it turned bad after only 900miles.. So I kinda removed that possibility to be honest.

Even changed the sparks and air filter barely 1000miles ago aswell.

·
Administrator
7,130 Posts
I would change the oil. It's not that it's "gone bad" but more that it's not suitable. 10w50 is not recommended, use a 5w40 or 10w40 that's MA2 like Advantec from BMW or Motul 7100. A cheap way to eliminate one possibility.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What you are saying is really interesting because I didn't pick the oil myself, BMW did it. Anyway I will try your solution asap and get back here for a feedback.

Thanks a lot anyway :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Has anyone done a valve lash adjustment to see if it gets better? I was surprised to see the motor using followers as opposed to shims under bucket.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Really hard to diagnose without hearing it in person, could be the camchain tensioner, we had a faulty one on one of our racebikes, I always fit a manual One on race engine. Is it less noticeable when engine is cold? Is it inconsistent? I would also change the oil as previously mentioned, and check for metal on the magnetic drain plug.

·
Administrator
7,130 Posts
Jimbo these motors have used followers since 2010. Other manufacturers are following this approach now too. Cams can be smaller, higher revs are ok since it's lighter, and won't spit the shims out like in the old days. A lot of the noise is the injectors rather than the valves.

·
Administrator
7,130 Posts
Romain, 10w50 is perfect for Ducati and Aprilia, but BMW engines like a 40 weight hot. Many years ago people used thicker oil because they thought it protected better, with modern engines and tight clearances thicker oil (at higher temps) makes things worse. Anyway enough philisophy, try it and see. As you are finding out, sometimes dealers don't know what the requirements are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi again,

Thanks for the feedbacks. I actually visited 2 dealers, both didn't find any problem, so I went to a 3rd one, this one directly found out that the sound was weird and told me for a start to change the oil as you guys mentioned I will go for the 5W40 Advantec and also change the cam chain tensionner for a silver one. He told me that normally we do that around 9500 miles but we could try it out there. He mentioned that if even after those both things the "tic" noise remains he will check again the valves.

So I will get that check up and leave an update here. Hopefully it can be helpful for others in the future aswell,

Thanks again everyone :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts