BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I was able to get some information regarding 2D suspension sensors, and what the benefits are. This is exactly what I received from 2D. Please note the last sentence. BMW's Race Calibration Kit will offer more possibilities. Race bikes/teams using the Kit with the sensor(s) may have a different experience.

Dear 2D,

I am a BMW HP4 owner who is interested in getting a rear shock sensor. Can you tell me what the added benefit is? Does it provide more data? Is it more accurate? What does the motorcycle do with this data that is different than what it receives from the stock sensor? What options/features do I gain by adding this sensor?

Given the opportunity, can you answer the same questions for the front sensor? I appreciate your assistance.

Response from 2D

as a HP4 owner there is no benefit for you fitting the rear shock sensor as the bike is already equipped with the OEM part. In fact changing to any other than standard part is not recommended as this will not work for the DDC unit. This 2D option is for S1000RR owners only to get the possibility to record suspension data as well.

However, front sensor is different. When fitted DDC will give you the possibility to adjust compression and rebound separately. In combination with BMW Race calibration kit you will get even more possibilities to adjust your suspension.

I share this to help forum members make an informed decision, since sharing valuable information and connecting with other members are vital part of this community.

I welcome any and all feedback.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2D also said, "Race bikes/teams using the Kit with the sensor(s) may have a different experience. "

With all due respect, I have to correct you. Those are my words, not 2D's. I caveated my post for a specific reason. Additionally, I started a new thread to separate my finding from others posts that may exist about this sensor. You can see my exact questions and the response from 2D in the original post.

I started digging around because there was lack of clarity as to what the benefits are in installing the rear sensor. I was very much interested in getting both sensors, but wanted to figure out what I would gain. It seemed as tho others had similar questions. As such, I wanted to share my finding with other HP4 owners.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks for the info. Its a shame that bmw builds an amazing machine and leaves out the front sensor. Pretty lame. Oh well.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info.

My pleasure. It is my way of giving back to the community as it has be helpful to me. I may not be an owner if it wasn't for this group.

In reading previous posts, we suspect BMW didn't include the front sensor due to clearance issue. The sensor comes with bumpers that prevents the front from turning all the way. Some owners have left off the bumpers when installing the sensor.

I'm still interested in getting the front sensor. I'll call my local dealer to see what it can do for me.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sensor is a great addition IMO. I cut the left stop in half and didn't use the right one. Only reduced the turning by a bit

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Thanks. I'll have to do the same. I wonder if there is a way to install
It on the other side, or if there are any advantages. Being able to lock the steering is a must.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great news. I found a source for the front sensor at a great price, with free shipping. This is a reputable vendor that is not placing a minimum purchase limit. All you have to do is call or email my point of contact to give him your payment and shipping info, and letting him know you are part of this community. If you are interested, please PM me. I’ll also PM those folks that have expressed interest in this item.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
SRO,
Thank you for providing us with this information. I am sure you saved quite a few of us a few $. Previous information did not provide enough data regarding the rear sensor to make this decision. We are all tempted to get the latest and greatest bits for our top tech HP4, so it's easy to bite at the bit. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Great news. I found a source for the front sensor at a great price, with free shipping. This is a reputable vendor that is not placing a minimum purchase limit. All you have to do is call or email my point of contact to give him your payment and shipping info, and letting him know you are part of this community. If you are interested, please PM me. I’ll also PM those folks that have expressed interest in this item.

Thanks!

Damn... I just ordered one and it's already shipped :(

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SRO,
Thank you for providing us with this information. I am sure you saved quite a few of us a few $. Previous information did not provide enough data regarding the rear sensor to make this decision. We are all tempted to get the latest and greatest bits for our top tech HP4, so it's easy to bite at the bit. Thanks again.
My pleasure, I'm glad I could assist. I just want everyone to make an informed decision.

For the record, I am not affiliated with my source in any way. I don't care if 0 or 100 people purchase from them. I'm paying the same amount as everyone else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2D rear sensor

Have the front sensor fitted, huge difference especially after finding correct settings for the front and rear. Can report that bike needed different settings to find desired balance.

Will have 2D rear sensor fitted tomorrow or Thursday, fitment required special tooling & mounts. It is not an easy or quick task. Bike is really well set up now so have a good baseline. Will be very interesting to see what changes (if any) with the rear 2D sensor fitted.

BMW AUS race team mechanic is responsible so will have accurate data to report back. Also have race ECU fitted.

If all is good will be proceeding with Alpha suspension upgrade. Note entire development has been focused with a strict guideline of fast street use only.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will have 2D rear sensor fitted tomorrow or Thursday, fitment required special tooling & mounts. It is not an easy or quick task. Bike is really well set up now so have a good baseline. Will be very interesting to see what changes (if any) with the rear 2D sensor fitted.

BMW AUS race team mechanic is responsible so will have accurate data to report back. Also have race ECU fitted.

Note entire development has been focused with a strict guideline of fast street use only.
Thanks for the update. We look forward to hearing more about your suspension upgrades.

The rear sensor isn't exactly plug-and-play as some may advertise since it requires special tooling and mounts. Also, you are fitting this sensor to work with your race ECU. Will the rear sensor send data to the DDC controller or just capture suspension travel data, i.e, are you remove the stock sensor?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Correct, the 2D rear sensor is NOT plug and play. The sensor plug has to plug into the same place in the harness as the stock rear sensor which has to be removed.

Fitment required care due to checking the stroke length of the sensor rod was taken into account when fitting to the rear shock. I will post photos when done.

There was considerable robust discussion about fitting this part. I had to insist as I am prepared to take the financial risk if it does not work at all or adversely affects the bike. If it does simple we've our wasted time and money ,which I consider to be unfortunate, however its personal R&D and re fit the stock rear sensor.

I am hoping it doesn't work out that way after reading your post from 2D.

I should clarify - the ECU is stock except it has been unlocked so we can play with the engine mapping on the dyno. The project is to get the suspension sorted first then move on in stages.

As this is a street bike it was deemed unwise to start playing around with the traction control. A friend of mine who races for BMW broke his collar bone recently as a result of the bike high siding him at Philip Island after the team had played with the DTC. Not keen to have same experience.

Will know more in the next 24 hours and will post findings here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Due to non stop rain & lack of available time, I have been unable to get the bike to the dealer to fit the rear sensor. I hope to get this done this Saturday am.

Apologies for the delay, will report as soon as I have news.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I responded to everyone who asked for my 2D contact. If I missed anyone, please send me a PM or reply to this.

Please note, he sold all 9 of his sensors. He did place another order, which should arrive soon. I'll let you know as soon as they arrive.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Due to great interest in this part, I decided to post my contact's information on here. It's no top secrete so I don't know why I didn't do this to begin with. Besides, I found it while doing some research on the forum. I just simply called him to revive the relationship.

Give Greg a call. He will set you up with one for $540.

Greg
Parts Advisor
Cross Country Cycle
732-635-0094

Edit: Danny is no longer with CCBMW. Give Greg a call. Based on my recent experiences, I can say Greg will stay on top of things. Be sure to let him know you're from the forum.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts