BMW S1000RR Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
There is an article out there that is based on a comparison of the BST wheels to the Honda cast wheels on, I believe, a CBR600RR. The authors noted that the Honda cast wheels were among the lightest cast wheels of any OEM available at the time. A Honda engineer admitted that they might have been too light in one article/video. I believe the Honda wheels were the simple three spoke variety. Found it, article here

The comparison found that the braking distance was effected dramatically. Stopping, actually slowing, from 120MPH to 60MPH the distance required was reduced 100 feet. It was further estimated that the reduced inertia was the equivalent of 5 additional horse power. The lap times reflected these changes.

So, not only does it reduce the effort to deflect the steering as speed increase but provides benefits in a straight line. It could even be cited as a safety benefit considering the reduced stopping distance.

Disclaimer.

This is from memory, a very imperfect memory.
Of course the difference from forged to carbon fiber is less.

End disclaimer.

· Registered
29 Posts
I made a remark about tire warmers in a previous post. To follow up, here is an entry from Brock's Performance regarding BST wheels (making no statement regarding similarity to any other manufacturer). See here.

The entry says yes, but...

My tire warmers have side curtains and operate at a single temperature of 195 degrees. Not a good idea for these wheels. I see what seems to be a wheel temperature limit of 120-140 degrees.

Digression: After purchasing these warmers my research found that they are warmer than recommended for DOT trackday/racing rubber from both Dunlop and Pirelli.

· Premium Member
434 Posts
I would think CF wheels would reach 120-140F parked in the sun. Track tires will get to temps well over this conducting the heat to the rim. The 120-140 does not seem accurate to me especially considering all the CF heat shields and exhausts.

· Registered
622 Posts
Carbon rims don't absorb as much heat as metal ones. It can mean on cooler days the tyres lose more heat than you'd expect...(hot metal rims help stabilise/maintain heat).

On super hot days they can help keep the tyres cooler.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Plant Bicycle tire

My 2020 CF front wheel hit a pothole at speed and did this. Surprisingly, it held air for 2 weeks. And was able to get a new tire installed. Luckily wheel insurance covered the $4k CAD replacement cost!

I went with Forged on the 2023.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 28 of 28 Posts