BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 23rr, are you getting CF or Forged rims for spirited canyon and street riding? Forged rims have been worry-free on my 17. Time to upgrade - still deciding on color and wheels.

· Vendor
5,239 Posts
Really up to personal preference if you have no intentions of track / club race. If it is me and my order for the 23, it is CF. The forged are just as good on canyon and local club racing. It takes needing to get every advantage on the track in competition to say someone needs a high dollar go fast part. Or, you just need to say you have it.

· Registered
452 Posts
I also purposely opted not to have the CF wheels and have forged on my bike. Aside from the worries of possible hazards of the wheels being exposed to every day riding, there was another consideration. Having to ensure the wheels are properly taken care of. I'm pretty sure the wheels are made with UV resistant epoxy resins. But even those can degrade over time with enough UV exposure. The clear coat applied on top of the carbon fiber helps to further protect the carbon fiber underneath. But you know over time things can happen to the clear coat such as chipping, pitting, etc.

· Registered
1,544 Posts
Really up to personal preference if you have no intentions of track / club race. If it is me and my order for the 23, it is CF. The forged are just as good on canyon and local club racing. It takes needing to get every advantage on the track in competition to say someone needs a high dollar go fast part. Or, you just need to say you have it.
Then why arent they using CF in top level racing, like MotoGP?

· Registered
29 Posts
I had read that tire warmers were hard on carbon wheels. That the epoxy in the weave was cured at a temperature lower than the temperature of the heaters. That said, I have to wonder about that concern because the warmers may only get as hot as the tire temperature reached under use. My warmers hit 195 degrees Fahrenheit. Some carbon fiber parts are baked at less than that (pick a number). The temperature is based on the chemistry of the epoxy. If you then exceed that temperature...

· Registered
29 Posts
I also acknowledge that this could have changed. I also acknowledge that MotoGp folks can probably find an epoxy without that limitation.

I don't own a BMW with CF wheels so have made no attempt to determine whether BMW puts any limit or recommendation on their use.

End of disclaimer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts