BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
341 - 351 of 351 Posts

·
9,266 Posts
Last & this year the ZX10 has more power. R1 got a bit more power due to better electronics to put power to rear wheel, no additional engine power.
Faster is hard to say as it depends on the riders. If you compare across the grid. Lows on ZX10 does better on average than any of other Yamaha riders.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I agree it's hard to say which one is faster than the other riders aside. I mean at times last year the yamaha seemed a LOT faster than the Kawi but I say that's because Toprak was/is just so much ballsier on the brakes then any other rider. At times, Rea looked significantly faster, even this year. Lowes seems to be consistently fast but so does Locatelli...i don't know if both bikes are even or of one is significantly faster than the other without the rider.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Zoo last years Yamaha was definitely faster than the Kawasaki . Announcers and analysts said it at nearly every race . This years Kawasaki is slower than the Yamaha . If the kawasaki was faster Rea would be able to would be able ro use more lines outside the draft and pass toprak but he cant . Rea Must get off previous corner faster and use a draft pass as he doesnt have the power to do anything else . Listen to the announcers/analysts they know what they are talking about thats why they got the job and they know more than any of us here .. Yes Toprak is good but he isnt pulling off a Quarteraro where he is on the lesser bike and is so good he is still winning

·
9,266 Posts
Read the two articles from Rea on WSBK on why he did has not been winning in recent rounds.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I saw Rea interview he said he was losing/struggling to keep up down the straits to toprak and Baustisa blasting by him down the straits . (Not a quote im too lazy to do quotes lol) The R1 development started off slow because the 2015/2016 because the engine/transmission was so fragile (blew thousands of engines/ transmissions ) but Yamaha made a BIG jump in power in 2021.

What i REALLY want to know is the traps speeds at Czech wsbk round. Announcer stated the BMW M1000RR had the HIGHEST trap speeds in Free practice!!(and last race also if i recall correctly=he might have said..one.. of the highest trap speeds last race) But still the BMW M1000RR has made an impressive jump up in power . Usually its always the Honda CBR 1000RRR.

Alex you have been on a roll finding good info lately , how about doing that Voodoo you do so well on the computer . Or anyone good at searches on the computer . It would be greatly appreciated by your fellow BMW S1000RR riders on the site .

·
Registered
497 Posts
Laverty is usually fastest of all. If you look way back at Aragon he had the highest trap speed. The MRR never lacked flat out top speed. It lacked the grip to get off the corner well enough to use it.

The Ducati does its damage in 4th/5th.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Thanks Alex your the man. Really? Aragon ? good info . Do you mean ducati accelerates best in 4th 5th gear? So it was Honda / BMW now BMW/ honda , then Ducati , Yamaha, Kawasaki . I wish World SBK coverage posted trap speeds on main strait with the lap times . Sometimes they post best trap speed of a rider at end of race but only podium finishers and its rare .

BTW i was surprised how much a difference the Kalex swing arm made AND I thought using an aftermarket swing arm was against the rules

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
SuperPole:

It seems the BMW chief was understating the significance of the swingarm in the prerace (SP) interview, saying it accounted for about 20% of the improvements, also saying dont underestimate the importance if things u cant see. But everyone cant stop talking about it. Wonder what else could account for the improvements? Redding still fighting for 4th at best.

The other thing that blew me away was the difference in rider weight between Hickman (100kg suited up) and Locatelli (60kg suited, not even lightest on grid! Bautista ~55kg?!).

Last couple of laps between TR and JR were fun to watch in SP. Rea clearly cooked the corner (TR leg dangle or not) where he went off. Toprak gives u nothing and then takes it back so quickly forcingyou to override a bit.

Be fun to c them swap bikes in a bizarro world scenario for one or two “races” to c how they adapt.

·
9,266 Posts
In interview with Redding he said swingarm was just a small part of change. They changed susp, electronics, ergos.
Redding is back now where he was on the Ducati. V4 is more developed than M1000RR. BMW prob needs another season to be in top 3 more consistently.

Stoprak was on a Kawi before, he will adapt. Rea has been on Kawi for a long time, he will struggle more to adapt to R1 IMO. But Rea's style would work well on R1.
I think Stoprak & Rea are most skilled on the grid. Baut wins due to V4 power mostly & capitalizes on battles between TR & JR, just not as skilled.

341 - 351 of 351 Posts