BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
321 - 340 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Awesome weekend of racing and it's awesome to finally see bmw with a package that can fight for podiums. Redding and BMW have figured it out imo. Couple of tweaks and they'll consistently be in the fight now. He should've been fighting for a podium but a bad start in superpole race 2 had him fighting just to get back in to the third row for race 2. Toprak as usual, a BEEEEEAAAAST on the brakes... just...wow...Rea is pushing, harder than ever, he wants to prove that Toprak's chip last year was a one off but...Toprak is proving otherwise. AB is just so fast on the straights with that V4... it's nuts...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Rea could really use some more acceleration/power . Toparak gets to turn one first then Rea has to pass the hardest way possible , in the corners . Then it wears the tires so its a double edge sword

·
9,266 Posts
The Kawi has more power than R1, it does not have as much corner speed & flickability (Kawi I4 engine is widest & heaviest among I4 bikes).

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Zoo you argue just to argue . Its obvious your a toprak fan but your bias is showing . Rea needs to get a better drive off the last corner and be right on topraks tail to get a draft pass on toprak or even to keep even to toprak down the strait . Also the narrators have stated the Kawasaki is a bit down on power to the yamaha . Also the yamaha has visual acceleration advantage . Not like the ducati but the yamaha jumps off corners a bit better and gets to turn one faster . Thirdly the anouncers have said the Yamaha has more power and they knw more than you do .
BTW did you hear the announcers stating how much larger Redding is than other riders ? its very obvious but again you think you know more than the announcers .
Toprak is a great rider but Rea is on par with toprak. Rea has really upped his game in cornering and track savvy. Great to hear both riders will be in wsbk in 2023..

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Alex great info on the BMW thank you . The BMW handles well and has good power(faster than yamaha and kawasaki ) . Now if Nissin can just get on par with brembo .(Redding stated the Nissins are still behind ) FYI BMW resigned Vandermark? Cant say i agree with that choice . Would loved to see BMW sign Lecuona . I think he has a 2 year contract with Honda but was hoping he was discussed by now and would jump ship .

·
Registered
497 Posts
Seat moves:
Eugene Laverty is retiring and taking part ownership of the Bonovo BMW team.
The new rumours are that Gerloff is going to take Laverty's seat after BMW failed to sign Jonny Rea.
Previously, if they had signed Jonny he would have been on the factory bike and MvdM dropped to Bonovo squad.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The Kawi has more power than R1, it does not have as much corner speed & flickability (Kawi I4 engine is widest & heaviest among I4 bikes).
Kawasaki looks the fastest in the corners to me, it's why JR hit TR (by accident). Carries far more corner speed. His issue is that he can't use the corner speed when behind either Duc or R1 and so he can't challenge or defend at the end of the straights.

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
Bautista and the Duc need to fk off. Bring in a min weight limit. Bloody bullsh1t watching him pass on the straights. Nothing the guys can do but try to make time elsewhere. JR would never go BMW. I don't think you'd pay him enough. BMW is getting better, but still. Its not there yet. He would compromise his career. He will retire with Kawi.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Alex you are correct .Its a tough call in this case but being i dont see other kawasakis having more cornering prowess and the fact Rea is hell bent/driven this year i chalk up reas cornering ability to the rider . You can see Rea pushing 110% .
Dan Alex your on an roll with info didnt hear of BMW trying to poach Rea but it makes sense but BMW would have needed to pay REA a truck load of money to get Rea to sign .

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Benny you just hate ducati . How can you blame a company for making a fast bike/ good bike . Ducati needs power as the monoque chassis has never been as good as the twin spar aluminum chassis . The Honda cbr 1000rrr is actually the fastest bike through the traps . Its racing building the fastest bike is what all manufacturers are supposed to do . Its a small mans game .
Yamaha is comming out with new R1 for 2023 . Cant wait to see what Yamaha has up there sleeve for WSBK and MotoGP

·
9,266 Posts
Kawasaki looks the fastest in the corners to me, it's why JR hit TR (by accident). Carries far more corner speed. His issue is that he can't use the corner speed when behind either Duc or R1 and so he can't challenge or defend at the end of the straights.
How often does JR hit Stoprak? It happened as Stoprak was a bit wide.
If any of you have sat on R1, S1k, Kawi, would easily feel how much wider Kawi engine/frame is. Stock bikes Kawi is about 12lbs heavier than R1.
R1 is the easiest of the bunch to ride fast. With Stoprak on it last year it won for a reason.
Kawi makes more power than R1 plain & simple. Talk to any race shop.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Actually, Rea's front tire hit Toprak's rear because Johnny came in hot. He was gonna destroy that corner, that's why he came up on Toprak. Toprak wasn't wide, he was on the line at the apex when Rea's front touched his. The replay clearly showed it. Actually, if you watch it again, the inside front of Rea's front tire touched the outer part of Toprak's rear, so technically...Rea was a wee bit wide lol

Reactions: Roehr1250sc

·
9,266 Posts
^ That just means Rea had more corner speed lol. If someone comes in hot they don't hit the apex.

·
Registered
497 Posts
How often does JR hit Stoprak? It happened as Stoprak was a bit wide.
If any of you have sat on R1, S1k, Kawi, would easily feel how much wider Kawi engine/frame is. Stock bikes Kawi is about 12lbs heavier than R1.
R1 is the easiest of the bunch to ride fast. With Stoprak on it last year it won for a reason.
Kawi makes more power than R1 plain & simple. Talk to any race shop.
Lets not assume the WSBK is anything like production. Kawasaki have spent MotoGP development budgets on the 10RR. Both are massively reinforced around the headstock... It's a silhouette series, not a STOCK series.

JR tends to make up his time anywhere without a straight. Hard to tell if that's all him, because Lowes doesn't get on TV enough. I think Toprak tends to V corners more than JR and that maybe rider preference over what either bike can achieve.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Agree with both Srod and Alex.Also Alex is correct when he points out that you cant judge a WSBK on weight being that all manufactures can get below the minimum weight limit for the class . That being the case all the manufactures bikes should be close to identical in race form . Zoo did remind me of a good point... Kawasakis base/OEM ZX 10R is the same as last year and performance component brands like suspension , brakes ect have not changed so that would suggest that its REA that has upped his game instead of the bike making a big leap forward ..Yes the Kawasaki ZX 10R gained a bit of Horsepower but its no way near like the BIG jump forward for the Yamaha R1 did last year . So the Kawasaki ZX 10R gains in corner speed looks to be from Reas doing = impressive.
PS .. In my HUMBLE opinion , I think next years all new /2023 Yamaha R1 will be a very reliable/durable package .. Why? Becausewhen the then new 2015 and 2016 Yamaha R1 came out they had SO many (thousands of blown engines/transmissions ) blown engines and transmissions that Yamaha will want to make up for past mistakes and build a bullet proof bike . Yamaha is a good company and still a true motorcycle company They just rushed the bike into production and it bit them in the arse .. I do not research cars but im sure even Rolls Royce/ Mercedes has put out a problem child model at one point it happens to every manufacturer at some point no matter how good they are .

·
9,266 Posts
Even in WSBK, cannot change engine much (aside from typical head kits) or main frame. There is a reason WSBK is based off production bikes.
ZX has more power than R1. I'm keeping riders out of this. It also takes a lot more work to dial in ZX10RR than R1.
Rea is doing a great job on ZX10, but if he does not win races he won't win the title.

Reactions: SRod321

·
Registered
761 Posts
I gotta be honest, I'm leaning towards Bautista taking the title this year. The rider/package combo is one of if not the best in the paddock this year, he's proven it. The only way I see him NOT winning is if he starts to make stupid mistakes(which he's made in the past with Ducati and has done this year once or twice). Toprak and Rea need to ride their butts off to win which they have done already so it's possible, but it's gonna be a helluva fight, especially with the lead AB19 has already built for himself so far.

Reactions: Loki66
321 - 340 of 351 Posts