I'm looking to see if I could pick your brains. I had some questions and hoping one of you had the answers.
I purchased a 2022 BMW S1000RR K67 in June 2022. I love the bike and already have 5,500 miles on it. I'm loving every second. Had a couple issues so far and it'll be going back to the dealership very soon.
Only mods are cosmetic. No engine work, no flash, stock exhaust, etc.
Radiator guards, bar ends, TST Industries taillights, Lightech chain adjusters.
1. Cold start issues, sputtering, pops in intake. Seemed to fix itself after I disconnected the battery for many hours. Dealership still updated the software because there was an update available.
2. "Fault in engine control" - Bike was cold, battery fully charged and just taken off the CTek MUS 4.3 charger.
Recorded incident - video
I will typically allow the bike to warm up a bit with the error still showing, shut it off, restart it and no error. Everything rides fine.
3. I ride the bike to work early, 5:30am, about 30-40 minutes. It sits for 6-7 hours outside. Weather may be anywhere 45-60 degrees fahrenheit when I start it back up to come home. This is when the bike throws the error. This routine is where I see the issue the most. Very rarely does the bike display the fault in engine control during the first and coldest startup in the morning.
This has only happened twice, but the bike would crank 4 times, not start and throw the "Fault in engine control" error immediately. I turn the bike off, try again, it cranks 3-4 times and starts fine. No error.
Bike was taken in once for it. Error occurs on both stock BMW battery (OK) and Antigravity ATZ10-RS.
I did swap the battery prior to taking the bike into the dealership. The dealership found no codes. They load tested the battery, was OK and updated the software.
Dealership also rode the bike off and on for a day or two, stalled it on purpose, essentially trying to get the bike to freak out and throw a code. Didn't do it.
I have tested both batteries. Antigravity (lithium) cranks at 10.5v, stock battery is also 10v plus.
Couple questions -
1. Any idea what this could possibly be?
I understand the error code is very generic.
2. I have thought about purchasing a GS911-wifi just for some piece of mind. This way I can see what the bike is doing. I also will be doing the majority of my own servicing. Will the dealership be able to see that a GS911 was used?
2. Any possible fault codes that may be stored in the ECU at these times, are they wiped out whenever power is removed from the bike and battery disconnected?
3. The manual states the following (picture attached) - for cold starts and low temperatures pull clutch in when starting, however only with M lightweight battery - What does this do exactly?
Thanks again all, have a great one and ride safe!