BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a bit of research and found the bike is running 4 x O2 sensors (2 x wide band and 2 x narrow band), are the 2 x wide band O2 sensors good enough to make the compensation to the AFR or do I have the reflash the ECU and get the fuel map re-written after the full exhaust system is fitted? Thanks

· Vendor
5,239 Posts
I've done a bit of research and found the bike is running 4 x O2 sensors (2 x wide band and 2 x narrow band), are the 2 x wide band O2 sensors good enough to make the compensation to the AFR or do I have the reflash the ECU and get the fuel map re-written after the full exhaust system is fitted? Thanks

This has been discussed so many times since the release of the K67.

The flash process will always help achieve better performance toward the use of the full exhaust, if of course said 'tuner' is providing a full flash process. The only way a complete full flash can be provided is an in house bench flash process. Others will lead you to believe a handheld device can deliver a 4meg full flash, but even DimSport will admit that only an ORI file is taken and updated, and partial flash is done.

The sensors in the K67 are the 5 wire O2 developed as far back as 1992. They are not UEGO level devices, they still sample and provide target AFR readings. The rear 02 are 4 wire and only provide sample readings for possible CAT clogging. They have nothing to do with AFR targets.

You can run a flash before full exhaust, and you can run a full exhaust without a flash. Just expect the target AFR's to miss and be on the rich side. Even with proper fueling and timing it comes back to application of use. Straight line drag and dig racing is fun and fine, but the bike is built for lean angles and power at 30 plus degree lean angles and this is where others miss the tuning band. My flash provides this level of power at 30 plus lean angles.

· Registered
316 Posts
The rear 02 are 4 wire and only provide sample readings for possible CAT clogging. They have nothing to do with AFR targets.
I've seen (forget where?) that we can run only the front O2 sensors w/a set of headers? Does it require a different flash? Is there a reason/benefit?

Ignoring the "US flat spot" for the moment. If when, in closed loop mode, the ECU is correcting based on the front O2 sensors input along with other variables. What is the "tune" doing?

In post #12 you mention that you disable the O2 sensors? Is that part of the current K67 tune?

We put RCK3/HP power kit enables in the ECU and all the magic starts for running in open loop mode 100% because we turn off the O2 senors. Now only limited information like engine coolant temp, inlet air temp, knock denotation are the basic inputs for the open loop mode.

Here another tuner states they are running in "closed loop" mode and the ECU is correcting, like you have mentioned in the past.

EDIT: Found this. I've read posts where people mention open and closed loop but I never educated myself on what it is and why I should care. For those that also don't know, I found this article and old video. Now I finally understand why the car will sometimes stumble when pulling out from a light.

· Vendor
5,239 Posts
I do not disable the O2 sensors on the K67. That was BS BT put out there to make people think I took tuning away from the flash function.

The O2 sensors are disabled on the K46 with the RCK3 flash as an option, and 99% of people want this option on K46 as they are only 4 wire sampling sensors.

BT indicated that they do disable sensors on some stage of their flash process, but that is a waste of having an ECU that can correct within limits of course, for target AFR's.

Reactions: omasou

· Registered
8 Posts
A tune is definitely worth it. Just be careful who you choose for your tune. Please do your research!!! Go with a reputable company that other enthusiasts have used time and time again.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the information gents, where I live in Australia we have a reputable tuner who bench flashed my previous Suzuki GSX-S1000 using Woolich Racing and did a good job. Also I've just purchased the S1000RR and got the 5 year warranty, have heard an ecu reflash will void the warranty so I guess my best chance is to have a chat with the dealer and the tuner to see what their thoughts are like.
I'm not a racer and 99% of the time the bike will be riden on road and hills, so I'm not chasing the absoluteand precise performance, all I want is to make sure the bike is running on the safe afr, forgot to mention I do have the access to chassis dyno, worst case scenario I'll just put the headers on and check the afr on the dyno to see how far it's off.
The flash process will always help achieve better performance toward the use of the full exhaust, if of course said 'tuner' is providing a full flash process. The only way a complete full flash can be provided is an in house bench flash process. Others will lead you to believe a handheld device can deliver a 4meg full flash, but even DimSport will admit that only an ORI file is taken and updated, and partial flash is done.
I believe Woolich Racing is the best and most economical way to get the ecu reflashed, but people keep telling me how good Brentune (handheld) is, after reading this I'm scratching my head, not sure how well can an US developed map work in Australia as we use different fuel and the climate condition is different (gets very bloody hot in summer here!).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts