BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
841 - 860 of 861 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Hi loki , I heard it was Aprilia that hired Stoner .Loki if Yamaha uses even the higher Horsepower maps the Yamaha chassis gets flexy . If you cant trust yamahas own crew cief and Fabio who can you trust ? Its not that Yamaha made a mistake , its just that the chassis was designed in 2017 and horsepower has risen so much since then .Yamaha has always been good at chassis design so i dont think it will be a big problem for yamaha .Yyamaha actually did use the high horsepower maps in 1 race and it did screw up the chassis .So Fabio is stuck with slow bike this year . But fabio has been riding phenominally .
Ps Motogp Mac will be doing a you tube video next on Hondas testing on wens/thurs .

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Update: The only thing ending up being ...solved .. was heat going to the rider . The swingarm on the Honda rcv213v is hitting 125 degrees Celsius !! and thats while going 180mph !! Cant imagin how hot the engine is getting to ? Honda has gone through the most engines this year . Heard they have gone through 6 or 7 already have only 2 left

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Not saying it cant happen but breaking an engine block comming off a corner is highly unlikely being there is a gravel trap Maybe if a fall is on a fast strait and engine tumbles down the tarmac and then its only 1 engine .(and the honda never fell on fast strait )
Now with the swingarm heating to 125 degrees celsius =257 degrees fahrenheit the engine could be going to 300/350 degrees fahrenheit 150/180 celsius . Honda has always made good motogp engines (cant say the same about the cbr 1000rrr engine = massive overheating issues and ecu issues) Its said to be a chassis/airflow problem and honda has never been any good at race chassis design .
Suzuki has lost alot of engines also but being they are pushing 300hp+ out of an inline 4 (long crankshaft flexes) its to be expected

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Hi Barron yes Motogp bikes are dry sump. Its just running extremely hot . Its an air flow problem in the chassis . The riders legs where getting burned the bike was so hot .Honda got the rider heat problem fixed/ diverted away from rider enough to stop the riders from roasting but the engine is still running extremely hot .

The big problem is the bike being designed to maximize the use of Michelin rear bias tires (as all motogp bike are since 2009 one tire manufacture rule = they are not designed to riders style like the old days when they had multiple tire companies . Only the settings are to riders preferences ) Marquez rides the front tire (great for bridgestones that where front bias tires and bike was designed for front bias tires) so the more honda puts the setting where marquez likes them the less traction and the more the bike wants to high side . its a catch 22 and Marquez/Puig said Honda doesnt even have base settings down yet . Yamaha has troubles also but they are not as screwed as honda .

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Hello all I was watching ducati week on you tube and they showed the dual passenger Ducati MotoGP bike . What was interesting was that despite having a very large rear subsection for the added passenger with added steel bars/grips/hardware to hold on to ,added bars/foot pegs/hardware (even the riders handle bar was heavy steel?) the motogp bike was only 140kg !(the passenger set up is oddly big for some reason )
Why such a low weight then? Ducati has no minimum weight limit for the bike so they took the ballast off . What this shows is that if Dorna allowed a lower minimum weight limit motogp bikes could get down to at least 120kg/130kg ..

At 120kg/130kg this would greatly help 1 The tire heat problem/tire wear problems (safer) 2 better braking (safer) 3 better handling (safer) 4 less fuel used
AND taking ballast off costs NOTHING !!
A lower 119kg was put forth at manufacturer meeting back in 2017 or 2018 but only honda shot it down as Marquez was winning and honda wanted everything unchanged / status quo .( it would help All manufacturers )

Alsp proposed was lifting/repealing of track testing restrictions . Track testing is now practically non existent so engineers are forced to use just a computer simulation program . In other industries this program is just used for a general starting point , a helper so to speak . So now the manufacturers need 8 engineers to do the job where they used to need only 1 or 2. Its all an educated guess as many , many factors need to be tested ON TRACK. So the current system/ way of doing things is VERY inefficient , time consuming and has driven up costs 400%!!! . When track testing was allowed ALL teams/manufacturers showed up ready to go , best foot forward at the very 1st Race . ..... Anyway all manufacturers wanted track testing restrictions lifted ... Honda shot it down as they where winning with Marquez and wanted status quo and to hinder other manufacturers advancements (vote has to be unanimous to pass this is why when honda wants something they always claim it to be .. unsafe ) FYI i
Wish the Honda race team well hope they do fix bike and do well = on the race track . I dislike Honda executive business tactics of trying to win in court room and trying to hinder other teams/manufacturers advancements in tech, lying ( I wouldnt trust Puig if he said grass was green lol) ect in an attempt to bring the other manufacturers bikes to hondas low level of competitiveness .

There is good news ... being hondas rcv213 is SO incompetitive in ALL areas except engine (honda does make good MotoGP engines) Honda desperately need actual track testing time so honda engineers can actually accomplish the goal of fixing the bike . Also a lower minimum weight is so easy and a step in right direction . SO hopefully honda wises up , uses there extensive influence at Dorna and gets these changes done helping themselves and all manufacturers/ the whole sport of motogp/wsbk .

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
PS The claim that track testing restrictions save money for small teams (hotel room rental/track rental) working out of a garage is so out dated . When was the last time you have seen a motogp/500cc grand prix team working out of a garage ? Also hotel room /track rental is pocket change in the budget of motogp team . Ok , hope everyone gets out today and goes for a long ride . Its a beautiful day . Im off to install new battery in the Kawasaki H2

·
9,266 Posts
What a race at Silverstone! M Vin did an amazing job! Pecc got lucky Vin made mistakes in the last lap.

A Esp 9th after a gruesome highside, in lots of pain. Reminded me of Lorenzo when he broke his collar bone, still was top 5.
E Bas is a workhorse, with a broken wing still got to 4th place.
4 Ducatis in top 5. Fabio & Alex Rins faded quickly.
Oliver passed Fabio & Rins, unexpected.
Honda without Marc is worth nothing. Silverstone is an euro bike track lol.

Reactions: Loki66

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hell yeah great race! Too bad Zarco lost the front smh. Viñales made a great push in the last two laps but got impatient. Hell of an effort though! 4 ducs in the top 5..... wow

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It shows you just how good Maquez is/was? and how many handling problems Marquez had to ride around he whole career .Both Pecco and Vinales rode fantastic races . All the riders where out of tires by end of race but moreso Vinales as he didnt use rear ride height at start loosing 4 places , got behind and chewed up tires making up lost ground . Im sure Vinales wont make that mistake next race .(source= Vinales in post race interview)

BTW i wonder if Rins Suzuki was losing power. From Millers on board camera when Rins was second Miller 3rd(7 laps from end of race) Rins bike blew a big billow of blue smoke out exhaust . Putting big power in inline 4 has taken its toll . Suzuki is low on engines .

·
Registered
497 Posts
Vinales needs to learn how to brake. The win was there to take. He runs bigger brake covers cause he brakes less than Aleix and thus needs less cooling (gains aero). Fine for a hot lap but stupid in a race. Pretty sure he couldn't stop it in the heat of battle because of this choice...and hence he ran wide 3 times.
Throughout the race he was consistently out braked by others.
If he fixes this he can win. (Easy from the armchair)

All 3 classes were great races.

Glad to see a home podium in one of them.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Zoo ALL tracks are EURO bike tracks . Euro Manufacturers have Superior engineering departments/better bikes for years now ( since 2013 at least in racing 2008 on for production bikes ) The japanese just can spend double the salary to get the very best riders . Marquez and now Quateraro . If Marquez had went with Ducati instead of Honda he would still be fit /unhurt and have 12 titles by now . Same with Quateraro . Who in there right mind would bet against Quateraro on A Ducati or an Aprilia ? Japan has never been known for engineering prowess . They are known for copying others tech and doing it cheaper . Germany, Italy and the UK are known for there superior engineering .

·
Registered
762 Posts
Smh.... While I understand what he means by "you can't wait until you're 100% to start riding a bike again..." I don't agree with it given the number of procedures and the severity of the issue initially. Dude.... the season is OVER for Honda, focus on getting better for NEXT year smh....I really hope that THAT is the plan, be able to ride in a good way to just prepare for next year but..... knowing Marquez.... he's gonna push to win races(only he and God know why smh as I facepalm myself into a concussion)...I don't even know what else to say at this point

Reactions: col-s1krr

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
740 Posts
Smh.... While I understand what he means by "you can't wait until you're 100% to start riding a bike again..." I don't agree with it given the number of procedures and the severity of the issue initially. Dude.... the season is OVER for Honda, focus on getting better for NEXT year smh....I really hope that THAT is the plan, be able to ride in a good way to just prepare for next year but..... knowing Marquez.... he's gonna push to win races(only he and God know why smh as I facepalm myself into a concussion)...I don't even know what else to say at this point

Not sure what he would accomplish by riding this year. Nothing he can't accomplish during the off-season. During an interview (posted in the MotoGP web site), he says there is nothing wrong with the bike, the problem is the project. As he expanded, he seem to insinuate there are communication issues between the pit folks, and the factory folks in Japan. If true, let them figure them out and in the meanwhile get as close to 100% as you can.

841 - 860 of 861 Posts