BMW S1000RR Forum banner
661 - 680 of 822 Posts

·
Registered
BMW S1000XR 2022, Ducati Desert Sled 2018, Ducati MTS 950 2017(sold), Honda VFR 2007(sold)
138 Posts
Several riders were complaining about the front end when the track temp was high. Running mid pack, and on soft fronts is going to feel a little greasy. Lots of blind "S" turns to heat up the tire more than usual.
Rins almost had a great Dakar Rally on the LeMans MotoGP. Due to the heat and soft fronts, I can see why Miller was slowly dropping back. Better to finish on the podium than DNF, but it was definitely a tough day for Bagnia. Congrats to the Beast.

·
9,189 Posts
Looks like Mir to Honda, Miller to KTM, Enea to factory Ducati.
Any other known changes for 2023?

Reactions: SRod321

·
9,189 Posts
I doubt Kawi will get into MotoGP, there are rumors of many options, nothing released yet.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Interesting article here. It's not just Marquez griping as the title might indicate. I gotta be honest, it DOES sound like riders just crying about not being able to over take. The common theme is "you have to just wait for someone to make a mistake." I don't mind that because it forces everyone to be better, there's more pressure to ride better BUT I also think that they do have a point. We WANT to see competitive racing and overtakes (at least I do). I DO have a question though that maybe some of you can answer. How does the front tire overheat from following someone and preparing to attempt an overtake? Is it the aero wings putting more down force and load on the front? Is it just heavier braking from trying to close the gap? Some riders commented that their tires are "on fire" as indicated by their dash boards(I know it's figurative speech, just that tire temps have gone way up) but why do they do up aside from just heavy, late braking? Or do they ONLY go up under that circumstance?

·
Registered
528 Posts
They should really restrict the amount of aero allowed, as well as get rid of the ride height devices. it does nothing to improve the show or the beauty of the machines.

I guess that being behind someone, close enough to get the slipstream means that the air is not as clean and not as directly on the tyre.
Anyway it seems that the added areo downforce, coupled with the shorter braking distances possible with the areo, make the bigggest difference to the tyre temp.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's aero from both your bike and the bike you're following.
Your bike, smashes the tyre into the floor and generates more heat.
Their bikes aero creates a bigger wake/draft/tow and (the engine) heats up the air that is left behind. So you have less air and it's hotter.
Then you add in that the Michelin philosophy is to bias the grip to the rear tyre as opposed to Bridgestone's front tyre philosophy.
Shapeshifters are reducing the time in straights (as does power)...which is less time to reduce temps.
Lastly the carbon brakes are making braking fierce and quick.

So aero is a large factor but there are others.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was thinking the aero was a part of it just from the nature of increased down force. I thought the heavier braking was the real culprit, that AND the tires being more rear biased.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Srod you are correct . Heavier braking is the real culprit of heat . Production superbikes have as much if not more down force as is in MotoGP. But you do not see tires over heating .

Aero adds maybe 100 lbs of downforce > lets say 200 for sake of arguement . Thats NOTHING in comparison to the heat generated from the force of carbon brakes which is 10,000-20,000 pounds of force to stop the bike at 200+ mph .... yes it adds but nothing to speak of in comparison

FYI you take aero off speeds WILL increase , which will take more force to stop and more heat = back to square one .

Srod , Honda / Marquez wants no aero they wanted it banned with ride height and anything else Ducati out engineered them on .

Honda /japanese fanboys believe it because they want to believe aero is the problem .

Fim/dorna Just raised the carbon brake diameter from 320mm to 345mm WHICH GLOW RED HOT and Aero is being blamed?

The force generated by aero is the force of doing a push up .....Nothing major thats going to make temps soar. Glowing red hot carbon discs on the other hand will

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Quateraro just said he wants yamaha to take more risks . This could get interesting . Fq wants yamaha to use high horsepower maps . But according to Yamahas crew chief the M1 chassis is out of development so the chassis gets flexy .FQ want to try riding around the issue .If anyone can he can . Also inline 4 with its longer crankshaft, the added horsepower is a risk as it beats up crankshaft/botton end bearing from flex .

I love new tech but also love to see old designs/tech pushed to its very limit .

Its like KTM , even on a bad day they have designed the best steel trellis chassis ever made The old rule of thumb was the max horsepower that a steel trellis chassis could withstand having both flex and stiffness was 200hp . Then MV Agusta wsbk had a 230/240? hp bike that was best on the wsbk grid (when set up was spot on) Then KTM just came out and blew that figure away running 325hp? and great when again like the mv set up is spot on .

Anyone else like the KTM for going a totally different chassis design?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
FYI Bagnia vs Marquez 9 or 14? lead changes in 7 laps . Whats this bs talk of no lead changes . Qualifying top 10 separated by 3/10th or 4/10ths of a second ... These are the good old days .

Dont screw it up with bans so your favorite brand wins . You want to own the best bike in MotoGP? Go buy a Ducati V4 . ALL the new Superbikes are better than the riders who own them anyway .Including yours truly

·
Registered
727 Posts
Aleix Espargaro and Maverick Viñales signed to Aprilia through 2023. Sucks for Mir and Rins, I was really hoping they'd dump Viñales in favor of Rins or Mir.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Taka/Honda tops fp1 , I swear his sole purpose is to do a kamakazi lap while everyone else is just sorting out settings . A.Espargro/Aprilia and Bagnia/Ducati tied 2nd Bastininni /ducati 3rd

Marquez 19th ... Marquez is holding to nor riding past the bikes limitations and riding around handlung problems/bad handling of the honda rcv213 .

Marquez said he stays at honda because they ... love.. him and they are like a family . He is in for a rude awakening ,if he doesnt ride around the hondas bad handling and perform well they will throw him under the bus . Marquez is healthy and on top form . He has been pulling off his trade mark miraculous saves .

·
Registered
437 Posts
Be interesting to see if anyone leases the two spare Yamaha's next year. A moto2 team step up or KTM fill the Suzuki spots with Gas Gas/Husky.

Having 4 Aprilia will be interesting. More pressure for MV25 imo. If RNF keep Binder then Rins for the other seat?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
FP2 the top 8 are all European Manufacturers .The japananese are in need of better engineers .Brad binder even pulled off 7th on the KTM Quarteraro 9th .
Well its supposed to rain on Sunday so its all up in the air.

RNF dumps yamaha for Aprilias . So where is Toprak going? Binder has contract with factory yamaha team.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Ducati locks out top 5 positions at Mugello .Marquez gets into q2 on a tow again . but cant keep up in Q2 ends up 12th .Marquez is riding his arse off the honda is just handling poorly . Marquez has been saying he is at full health but hondas image department has decided its not the bike , its Marquez shoulder is bad again ...Bullshite .

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Ducati locks out top 5 positions at Mugello .Marquez gets into q2 on a tow again . but cant keep up in Q2 ends up 12th .Marquez is riding his arse off the honda is just handling poorly . Marquez has been saying he is at full health but hondas image department has decided its not the bike , its Marquez shoulder is bad again ...Bullshite .
How much love can he take?

661 - 680 of 822 Posts