BMW S1000RR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I think this kind of tech should be banned in MotoGP, this is basically "active" suspension AND active aero.
"Moving aerodynamic devices – which increase downforce through the corners and reduce downforce on the straights – are banned from MotoGP. But there’s no rule that prohibits adjusting the attitude of the entire motorcycle to lower the bike by a few millimetres and change the aero angle by a few degrees to increase top speed. Might this account for Ducati’s impressive top-speed increase, from 351.6kph/218.4mph at last year’s Qatar GP to 355.2kph/220.6mph during the tests?"
The story behind Ducati’s new MotoGP shapeshifter - Motor Sport Magazine

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think this kind of tech should be banned in MotoGP, this is basically "active" suspension AND active aero.
"Moving aerodynamic devices – which increase downforce through the corners and reduce downforce on the straights – are banned from MotoGP. But there’s no rule that prohibits adjusting the attitude of the entire motorcycle to lower the bike by a few millimetres and change the aero angle by a few degrees to increase top speed. Might this account for Ducati’s impressive top-speed increase, from 351.6kph/218.4mph at last year’s Qatar GP to 355.2kph/220.6mph during the tests?"
The story behind Ducati’s new MotoGP shapeshifter - Motor Sport Magazine
I agree as it has no benefit on road bikes or other race series. Shapeshifting, launch control is a huge waste of money/time. Ban it all.

·
Registered
933 Posts
All the factories had to vote to allow ducati to go from 6 to 8 riders. Why Honda , Yamaha and Suzuki voted in favor was Ducati has a smaller budget than the japanese factories (crash podcast 32) is they are thinking/hoping Ducati will spread resources too thin .

News Audi/Porshe/VW group looking to reenter F1 in 2025. Why is this important to MotoGP? It is more efficient and cheaper to develop head design/hp in smaller race engine then increase volume for F1. So Ducati Audi collaboration should mean even faster ducatis in the upcoming years . Honda has done this before but honda just left f1 at the end of 2021.

There is a good video of the subject on you tube..90hp from 250cc single cylinder mule engine..

I read this is the reason Honda can delelop F1 engines quickly. Other manufacturers ..Mule. Engines are developed on a bench .Honda develops there ..Mule..engines under race conditions Makes sense.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Interestingly Moto Guzzi is the first manufacturer to release active aero on a production bike.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
933 Posts
Alex disagree, being its a prototype series let them run all, thats the point of being a prototype series . Let the company with best engineering skills take the victory.

Less rues makes closer racing and performance finds its own level . Dont worry Yamaha,Honda,Suzuki will will catch up eventually. Ducati just has the best engineering department lol

Yamaha let me down.I thought they would go to work and come out with new bike. Although in the late 1970s Yamaha essentually shut down its race department relying on Roberts Srs skill to win 3 500 gran prix titles . Nothing was done to the YZR500 in 1978/79/80.He was going to leave yamaha and go to Suzuki ,then Yamaha worked around the clock developing 16 different bikes in 2 years .The OW 54 to the OW70.

Wouldnt it be a shock if Yamaha finally figured out the Carbon fiber Monoque chassis and leap frogged over everyone. In therory its superior over the box section aluminum chassis but no one has figured out how to make it work in real world racing .

·
Registered
933 Posts
Amok very sharp looker .Moto Guzzi is another Euro manufacturer thats really upped its game since roughly 2010. Moto Guzzis where always butt ugly and no tech advancements what so ever .Then they must have hired a great styling engineer ,mechanical engineers ect ect as they made tech advances and look 200% better.Being horizonal twin they still have torque twisting frame and high center of gravity.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Alex your sounding like an 80 year old man who hates change .

Keep it up and your going on the nutter list with ZZZ .lolol

BIG NEWS........Srod just told me he read Marquez will miss Sepang tests.

Hate to see the fastest rider in history taken out by injury. But it was his own fault . Marquez should have left honda in2019 instead of riding around all of the Honda rcv213 poor handling and crashing in an attempt to make the non competitive bike work.
Also riding motocross ,flying 30ft in the air with weak shoulder was plain stupid as a bag of hammers . Motocross might be easy for motogp riders ,but its just inherently dangerous. No matter how skillful the rider once your flying 30ft in the air if something goes wrong,cross wind ect your crashing hard.This is why all the motogp contracts have a .no motocross riding clause.

Fyi this injury is one that the eye/muscle getsweaker with every subsequent injury.This is his 2nd injury to the eye/muscle so now its even easier to reinjure the 3rd time . So even by some miracle or Honda gets clear bill of health pushed through . Can Marquez not crash again for an entire season and not reinjure eye?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Am I now. Maybe I actually have a consideration to budget and rider skill. Prototype motorsport is a fine balance between having a show and allowing development unhindered. I used to be in the camp that wanted to see how far we could push engineering, but it costs a stupid amount and usually leads to 1 team/make domination. No manufacturer will join a series if the cost to enter is too high and success is improbable. BMW don't go to MotoGP because of this. I'd like to see 24 bikes from 12 manufacturers...

I have no issue with aero, as it can have applications away from the track. The electronics also push things on, use of materials etc. But shapeshifters and launch systems are IMO, not helping anything, they are not improving the show. They just give an advantage to those that can spend the most on developing them.

BSB has the least technology and yet probably the most closely fought racing. I want our heros on the bikes and in the cars to 'win' the race...not press a button and have the machine do it all for them.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Alex in all of motor racing be it cars bikes or boats Once a manufacturer attains gains from a tech,if its taken away or lessened invariably they end up spending DOUBLE in more engineering to get around . There have been many budget studies showing to keep costs down youuse minimal rules and keep them constant from year to year .2 good examples are 1 cost rose the most when motogp kept changing displacement 500cc two strokes to 990cc 4 strokes to 800cc then to 1000cc . 2nd example is F1, a thousand rules which sent the costs sky high and is as exciting as watch cars go down the turnpike.

Lets call a spade a spade if it was a Japanese manufacture that had a dominating bike and not Ducati you guys wouldnt be wanting anything banned. I dont know why anyone cares that the most innovative manufacture is italian not japanese.

FYI Ducati has Smaller budget than the japanese manufactures (Crash podcast 36) Ducati is is just more passionate , working harder and smarter doing more with less money .

I do not care where the manufacturer comes from i just love seeing new high tech advancements...I was happy to see Honda finally building a new bike to replace the crap handling outgoing rcv213

·
Registered
933 Posts
Thanks Elk,Btw trying to get a track day meeting at New Jersey Motorsports Park.No date set yet but thinking mid June. Anyone from NJ,NY,Pa area are welcome.Baron your from the Phila area,would be great to see you there. Dont worry being i cant feel feet and right hand 1/2 numb (spine damaged) my skills are shot and relearning to ride fast upright like Agostini so I will DEFINITELY be the slowest guy on track lolol

Srod is meeting us there already .I will bring my 2006 worked Triumph Sprint ST 1050 and my 2020 BMW S1000RR as they are my easiest bikes to go fast on .

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
I read comment from Marquez doctor. he said 1st injury was 4th nerve in his eye and it didnt heal for 3 months until they operated .Now same 4th nerve injured again.

So assuming same protocol, you have 3 months of observation then operation ,2 months of recuperation . Thats best case scenario. But eyes get weaker after injury so it does not look good.

FYI THe new Honda was NOT designed from scratch for Marquez. Manufacturers start with a base line design then engineers suit the machine to EACH rider preference. RAke ,Trail,engine placement/weight distribution ect ect all set up to each riders needs .

Example..Honda didnt pay Pol Espargro millions of dollars to ride then hamper him with a bike made specifically for Marquez. Marquez was just the only rder that could ride around the rcv213 crap handling .

The new Honda may be a great bike but will need time to sort out .We shall see hpw good the new honda is when they do not have Marquez skill to hide a bikes flaws

·
Registered
570 Posts
Apparently Marquez is back to "full training".... whatever that means. I mean if it's physical training, i.e. strength and conditioning, that's one thing but... riding?? Where you have to use your vision?? I doubt he's there, unless Honda was BS'ing about this eye injury to try and catch everyone by surprise next year (I highly doubt it...).
Hoping he fully recovers, it'd be nice to see him back but...I'm not very optimistic. It's gonna suck to lose two greats in successive years (Rossi - retirement/Marquez - injury).

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Apparently Marquez is back to "full training".... whatever that means. I mean if it's physical training, i.e. strength and conditioning, that's one thing but... riding?? Where you have to use your vision?? I doubt he's there, unless Honda was BS'ing about this eye injury to try and catch everyone by surprise next year (I highly doubt it...).
Hoping he fully recovers, it'd be nice to see him back but...I'm not very optimistic. It's gonna suck to lose two greats in successive years (Rossi - retirement/Marquez - injury).
We lost 2 greats for sure, but only one of them was even remotely close to the podium, and even then not consistently. So, it really shouldn't affect anything at the sharp end of the grid, thankfully. Not like Schwantz, Rainey or Doohan getting injured and forced to retire at their prime. Those retirements changed everything.

·
Registered
933 Posts
https://www.motomatters.com Check out news article =silly season start up . Marquez doing cardio,lifting puts pressure on eye from straining. No riding

Too much info from article for me to write , BUT it did say Quartararo wants....20 million euro/25million dollars a season to ride in next contract ....That matches Marquez salary.

Justification for wanting Marquez salery is Quartararo states he won on a uncompetitive yamaha like Marquez won on a uncompetitive Honda .

Sorry, the Yamaha has problems but it isnt head shaking,tank slapping ,no feel front end , no grip Honda rcv213 crap handling .(for a motogp bike) bad.

And Quartararo did it 1 year ,Marquez rode uncompetitive bike and won for Many years . Quartararo is fast but not Marquez fast .

Only Honda can afford a 20 million euro/25 million dollar salary . I think Quartararo got 5 million dollars last year.I am all for a person trying to do well but he is being ridiculous .

I hope ALL the factories shoot down a pay raise for quateraro ,theres alot of new fast new talent out there now.

PS Dave Emmett wrote the article in motomatters.com (also owns site ) And he is even better than Matt Oxley . No fake news ,not politically correct and he gets inside info ,so check out website I think you will like it

21 - 40 of 60 Posts