BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Im new to the S1000 world and I just took delivery of my new 2023 and I hate the exhaust on it. My question is will a 2022 exhaust fit on the 2023. I know there was some changed to the air inlet side. Also trying to see if a fender eliminator fits for a 2023 from a 22 as well. Any info would be great.

2023 s1000rr m package carbon

· Vendor
5,239 Posts
Exhaust fits and the tail tidy has been posted one brand fits, but sorry, forgot what brand it was. Based on the pics I have seen the rear tail is the same bolt pattern for the tail light assembly.

The air inlet has not changed. Only the addition of the M1000 air box was used and it is exactly the same air box on the outside and only minor changes on the inside that effect nothing about the intake boots.

Reactions: stan1

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you dislike about the exhaust on your bike? From what I've seen, the exhaust for the 2023 is the same as the previous years. Did you get the Akra/Sports silencer?
The exhaust doesnt sound like a super sports bike. Coming from my zx10r with an after market exhaust it sounds like it should for 190hp bike. The one of the bmw is so quite.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exhaust fits and the tail tidy has been posted one brand fits, but sorry, forgot what brand it was. Based on the pics I have seen the rear tail is the same bolt pattern for the tail light assembly.

The air inlet has not changed. Only the addition of the M1000 air box was used and it is exactly the same air box on the outside and only minor changes on the inside that effect nothing about the intake boots.
Is there a certain exhaust you would recommend?

· Registered
452 Posts
The exhaust doesnt sound like a super sports bike. Coming from my zx10r with an after market exhaust it sounds like it should for 190hp bike. The one of the bmw is so quite.
Putting on a stock 2022 exhaust isn't going to make it louder or change the sound. I'm not sure if there is any appreciable change with putting on a slip on exhaust while keeping the rest of the stock piping with the cat and resonator. My 2022 came with the factory sports/Akra silencer or in other words an upgraded factory slip on. I installed the Akra optional header on my bike with the factory sports/Akra silencer. The thing to me is stupid loud now. Enough so where I bought the dB killer to insert into the factory slip on and it's still pretty loud.

So if you want loud/change in exhaust note, you're looking at some sort of aftermarket solution.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Putting on a stock 2022 exhaust isn't going to make it louder or change the sound. I'm not sure if there is any appreciable change with putting on a slip on exhaust while keeping the rest of the stock piping with the cat and resonator. My 2022 came with the factory sports/Akra silencer or in other words an upgraded factory slip on. I installed the Akra optional header on my bike with the factory sports/Akra silencer. The thing to me is stupid loud now. Enough so where I bought the dB killer to insert into the factory slip on and it's still pretty loud.

So if you want loud/change in exhaust note, you're looking at some sort of aftermarket solution.
I think I worded my question wrong. I dont want to put a stock 2022 exhaust on it. I was wanted to see if an aftermarket 2022 exhaust will fit on a 2023

· Registered
452 Posts

· Registered
316 Posts
Try taking off the exhaust and see if you like it. These guys have stock pipes and a car exhaust tip.

· Registered
116 Posts
It looks like most of the exhausts will fit the 23 and most of the fender eliminators DO NOT, maybe the NRT, TST said no. I have the same bike as you with Delkevic short cans on it, it's loud, however, BMW's are LOUD! Heard the Akra on a 17 and it sounded pretty good, M4 slip-on, on 16 and it was ok, Arrow on a 22 and it sounded sweet, louder than the Akra. These are all louder than my bike which I'm sure is louder than those Yoshs, you want it to sound like a 200hp bike, take that cat off and be prepared. I went with the AR, which I was told is significantly louder than the Arrow.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks like most of the exhausts will fit the 23 and most of the fender eliminators DO NOT, maybe the NRT, TST said no. I have the same bike as you with Delkevic short cans on it, it's loud, however, BMW's are LOUD! Heard the Akra on a 17 and it sounded pretty good, M4 slip-on, on 16 and it was ok, Arrow on a 22 and it sounded sweet, louder than the Akra. These are all louder than my bike which I'm sure is louder than those Yoshs, you want it to sound like a 200hp bike, take that cat off and be prepared. I went with the AR, which I was told is significantly louder than the Arrow.
I was looking into a akra system. Full system. I assume id need a tune after. Im gonna try to get the bike to the first service (500) without doing anything and then ill probably go with the akra full header system.

· Registered
116 Posts
I was looking into a akra system. Full system. I assume id need a tune after. Im gonna try to get the bike to the first service (500) without doing anything and then ill probably go with the akra full header system.
Any time the cat goes I would get a tune. The Akra look and sound good, too many people have them for me to consider, wanted to try something different. I'd look at maybe buying it soon, as it looks like the prices might be going up. If your shop is honest, you'd prob save some money on the install if done with the service. First mod you should do is the gauge screen protector, I guess they scratch easy. My dealer gives them out as a gift and installs it, when you buy the bike from them.

· Registered
452 Posts
There's going to be a debate about whether you need a tune with a full system or not. You absolutely don't. The bike will run fine without a tune. My bike doesn't have one. Will the bike run better with a tune? Absolutely. But that's up to you as to what you're looking for. With me, I'm waiting until I'm out of warranty before I consider getting a tune. One thing to think about, BMW will know if you've put a tune in the DME even if you revert back to the stock tune. And SOP for dealer is to connect the bike up to ISTA which will phone home to the mothership. So it's up to you whether you want to risk any issues.

As to the various options with Akra, the optional headers will allow you to run any slip on designed for our K67 including the factory Akra silencer. As I said, I'm running the factory Akra silencer with the Akra SS optional headers. If you get a full Akra system, you will not be able to run other slip on options with the full system headers unless you fabricate an adapter pipe to mate the slip on to the full system header.

· Registered
116 Posts
There's going to be a debate about whether you need a tune with a full system or not. You absolutely don't. The bike will run fine without a tune. My bike doesn't have one. Will the bike run better with a tune? Absolutely. But that's up to you as to what you're looking for. With me, I'm waiting until I'm out of warranty before I consider getting a tune. One thing to think about, BMW will know if you've put a tune in the DME even if you revert back to the stock tune. And SOP for dealer is to connect the bike up to ISTA which will phone home to the mothership. So it's up to you whether you want to risk any issues.

As to the various options with Akra, the optional headers will allow you to run any slip on designed for our K67 including the factory Akra silencer. As I said, I'm running the factory Akra silencer with the Akra SS optional headers. If you get a full Akra system, you will not be able to run other slip on options with the full system headers unless you fabricate an adapter pipe to mate the slip on to the full system header.
I would never run anything without a tune after removing the cat. Do you need a dyno tune? No, a flash with your exhaust setup will get you close enough to let the O2s do the rest, but I would not run the stock map with a full system, just my opinion. As for BMW knowing you're tuned, that is false. BMW does not know when you bike is tuned unless you raised the rev limiter. This is coming straight from a BMW dealer tech.

· Registered
452 Posts
I would never run anything without a tune after removing the cat. Do you need a dyno tune? No, a flash with your exhaust setup will get you close enough to let the O2s do the rest, but I would not run the stock map with a full system, just my opinion. As for BMW knowing you're tuned, that is false. BMW does not know when you bike is tuned unless you raised the rev limiter. This is coming straight from a BMW dealer tech.
I've posted a screenshot of my bike running without a tune with the lambda readings off the O2 sensors from GS911. It shows the bike running on the rich side if anything. So no, the bike doesn't need it.

As to BMW knowing, they absolutely will. Omasou has posted up links to threads on Bimmerpost showing people having warranties being denied due to tunes being applied to the DME even after being returned to the stock flash.

· Registered
116 Posts
I've posted a screenshot of my bike running without a tune with the lambda readings off the O2 sensors from GS911. It shows the bike running on the rich side if anything. So no, the bike doesn't need it.

As to BMW knowing, they absolutely will. Omasou has posted up links to threads on Bimmerpost showing people having warranties being denied due to tunes being applied to the DME even after being returned to the stock flash.
Like I said, it's my opinion just like yours is to not have one, and I wouldn't want my bike running rich either, to each their own. No one should ever do something they don't feel comfortable doing, there's people he can ask for more info.

My dealer tech has fought with BMW over warranties, they say they know the bikes were tuned and he said prove it. They could never prove the bikes were tuned except for ones that had the rev limiter raised, they can see you over revving the bike, obviously the only way you can do that is flashed. Anyone can do anything to their own bikes, doesn't affect what I do to mine, I'm just trying to give information that has been given to me. If your dealer is not cool with mods, then don't touch the bike. I didn't buy the bike to keep it restricted.

· Registered
452 Posts
Like I said, it's my opinion just like yours is to not have one, and I wouldn't want my bike running rich either, to each their own. No one should ever do something they don't feel comfortable doing, there's people he can ask for more info.

My dealer tech has fought with BMW over warranties, they say they know the bikes were tuned and he said prove it. They could never prove the bikes were tuned except for ones that had the rev limiter raised, they can see you over revving the bike, obviously the only way you can do that is flashed. Anyone can do anything to their own bikes, doesn't affect what I do to mine, I'm just trying to give information that has been given to me. If your dealer is not cool with mods, then don't touch the bike. I didn't buy the bike to keep it restricted.
I've never said a tune isn't a good idea. If you look back at my reply and other posts I've put up on this subject, it's about the narrative being pushed by many that it's required to have a tune when you put on a full system. It is NOT. Akra even says on their website that it's recommended but not required to have a tune.

Your dealer tech can say whatever he wants. He or the dealership is not the ones authorizing warranty repairs. BMW absolutely will know if you have a tune as they've updated something in the DME outside of adjusting any parameters such as the rev limiter. Again, this goes back to the threads Omasou posted up from Bimmerpost where people have had warranty denials from BMW and not the dealership. Your dealership may be mod friendly but it's up to BMW whether to honor the warranty or not. Your dealership can go to bat for you but that's the extent of what they can do. My dealership seems to be mod friendly. They didn't harass me about the full system on my bike when it was in for the timing chain tensioner recall and the subsequent oil/water pump failure that was covered under warranty. But while the tech was going over my bike and getting the required documentation submitted to BMW for warranty authorization, I watched him take pictures of my bike. So BMW has a record that I have at least headers on my bike.

· Registered
116 Posts
I've never said a tune isn't a good idea. If you look back at my reply and other posts I've put up on this subject, it's about the narrative being pushed by many that it's required to have a tune when you put on a full system. It is NOT. Akra even says on their website that it's recommended but not required to have a tune.

Your dealer tech can say whatever he wants. He or the dealership is not the ones authorizing warranty repairs. BMW absolutely will know if you have a tune as they've updated something in the DME outside of adjusting any parameters such as the rev limiter. Again, this goes back to the threads Omasou posted up from Bimmerpost where people have had warranty denials from BMW and not the dealership. Your dealership may be mod friendly but it's up to BMW whether to honor the warranty or not. Your dealership can go to bat for you but that's the extent of what they can do. My dealership seems to be mod friendly. They didn't harass me about the full system on my bike when it was in for the timing chain tensioner recall and the subsequent oil/water pump failure that was covered under warranty. But while the tech was going over my bike and getting the required documentation submitted to BMW for warranty authorization, I watched him take pictures of my bike. So BMW has a record that I have at least headers on my bike.
Maybe it's being pushed because of how expensive these bikes are, this bike is like 15k more than my last new one. I'm just relaying what I've been told by a tech who deals with BMW, not someone who's talking about someone who posted about someone else's bikes issues. Not to mention you can't just deny a warranty because something has been modded, they have to prove that part was directly responsible for the part being warranted failure.

Anyone who goes down the path should know what could be at the end.

· Registered
452 Posts
Maybe it's being pushed because of how expensive these bikes are, this bike is like 15k more than my last new one. I'm just relaying what I've been told by a tech who deals with BMW, not someone who's talking about someone who posted about someone else's bikes issues. Not to mention you can't just deny a warranty because something has been modded, they have to prove that part was directly responsible for the part being warranted failure.

Anyone who goes down the path should know what could be at the end.
I totally agree that any denial should only be on the affected system the aftermarket "part" affected. The Magnuson Moss Act is clear on this. But in reality, if a manufacturer chooses to deny your warranty and won't budge despite the dealer stepping in, what are people really going to do? Sue? After the time and attorney's fees, you may win....but you may not. The issue with a tune is it affects so many parts of the engine that it's a big risk.

At this moment, I'd prefer to keep my life simple. Especially with my bike seeing two recalls and a failed oil/water pump in less than a year of ownership.

· Registered
116 Posts
I totally agree that any denial should only be on the affected system the aftermarket "part" affected. The Magnuson Moss Act is clear on this. But in reality, if a manufacturer chooses to deny your warranty and won't budge despite the dealer stepping in, what are people really going to do? Sue? After the time and attorney's fees, you may win....but you may not. The issue with a tune is it affects so many parts of the engine that it's a big risk.

At this moment, I'd prefer to keep my life simple. Especially with my bike seeing two recalls and a failed oil/water pump in less than a year of ownership.
Not really sure, haven't had to fight for any issues before. I would have to imagine BMW doesn't have the time to go through every claim and would leave it up to the dealer for the call. Never dealt with BMW or the dealer before, they have given me nothing to question them on and have been honest up to this point. Some people do not feel comfortable playing around with mods, some people can't afford a repair bill if something happens and are just happy owning something new. Hopefully they are getting more consistent with quality, sounds like the new bike is a step in the right direction, at first glance.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts