BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any news on 2nd year changes for the new s1000rr? Bet they are going to be doing a lot more than just adding new color schemes - maybe we will see an //M Competition package like the M5?

·
Registered
71 Posts
2021 changes will most likely be announced in November 2019 at EICMA Milan.

Reactions: gmten

·
Registered
189 Posts
Think when they announce just a color change it might stay like that for Milan. Probably “if” they announce something would be later on. They have due the R and the XR those models sell a lot compared to the RR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm bemused by the North American bike market. Why is what is known in Europe and Australia as the 2019 model is known in the US and Canada as the 2020 model? The bike was first built in the first half of 2019, is continuing to be built this year and it's nowhere near 2020 yet. And what happened to the US 2019 model, simply skipped from 2018 to 2020?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm bemused by the North American bike market. Why is what is known in Europe and Australia as the 2019 model is known in the US and Canada as the 2020 model? The bike was first built in the first half of 2019, is continuing to be built this year and it's nowhere near 2020 yet. And what happened to the US 2019 model, simply skipped from 2018 to 2020?
the most funniest thing is that they already want 2021 model lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
In America (continent) is typically like that. Kind of tradition through the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
3,435 Posts
In the USA, manufacturers can legally designate a model year up to 2 years ahead of the date which was the vehicle was manufactured.

Since there was still a 2019 S1000RR being sold as the K46 models, they did not want any confusion between the bikes, since there would be a mid year change. They have gone ahead and used the 2020 model year designation for the K67. This is much easier than trying to refer to the bike as the 2019.5.

It clears up a lot of confusion about model years and also is easier to market as a "brand new bike" when it is a completely new model year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
In the USA, manufacturers can legally designate a model year up to 2 years ahead of the date which was the vehicle was manufactured.

Since there was still a 2019 S1000RR being sold as the K46 models, they did not want any confusion between the bikes, since there would be a mid year change. They have gone ahead and used the 2020 model year designation for the K67. This is much easier than trying to refer to the bike as the 2019.5.

It clears up a lot of confusion about model years and also is easier to market as a "brand new bike" when it is a completely new model year.
We're aware this is, but no one has been able to explain the logic behind it, in my view it just creates confusion rather than clears it.

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is much easier than trying to refer to the bike as the 2019.5
Yup. In 1999 VW had the Jetta and the new Jetta. Or Jetta '99 and '99.5 model. Whatever, when at the parts desk, I learned real quick to tell them it was a 2000 ... otherwise 50/50 chance of the wrong part, or just a lot of time wasted watching them trying to figure it out, etc.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After another quarter of recalls and issues, eagerly awaiting improvements and news for the 2021 model. Glad to have not jumped on the first year rushed model.

·
Registered
213 Posts
After another quarter of recalls and issues, eagerly awaiting improvements and news for the 2021 model. Glad to have not jumped on the first year rushed model.
2021 wil still hold the same software, same cf wheels, etc. Bmw probably contracted various manufacturers, and therefore will need to use everything they paid for. We probably won't see major changes until they change/upgrade the model (something like 3 yrs. When they start changing the design, etc)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just put a order in for a s1000rr, looks like BMW will now start the production of the 2021s and are done making the 2020s.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Think when they announce just a color change it might stay like that for Milan. Probably “if” they announce something would be later on. They have due the R and the XR those models sell a lot compared to the RR.
I don't think that the R and XR outsell the RR, at least not around here (Texas). My dealer has sold over 25 2020 RRs and I've only seen a few Rs and XRs move there. Though my friend just purchased the new XR, which is a great bike and more sporty alternative to BMW's mainstay GS.

I don't expect significant changes for 2021. Probably a new color. Maybe the keyless ignition now on BMW's upper end bikes, especially its S1000XR sibling.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts