BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm trying to find a solution for my problem and I think a decent flash to my K67 track bike may help.
My issue is with the DTC and that's what I would like to solve. Basically even on -7 the DTC still very intrusive and I have no power exiting corners at lean.
Only when I pick the bike up to a certain point its like the bike gets it power back all of a sudden...
What I don't understand is that people with the same bike told me that with the DTC sets to -3 or even -2 they get some nice power slides exiting corners before DTC intervenes !
Mine would not slide even 1mm and I even tried going full throttle. (after a few sessions of pure frustration)
Now I know of Exwerks, Brentuning, Rs2e, Woolich and last week I came across 2WDW.
It seems because my bike is in Europe I have to ship the ECU to the US for the process or buy some kind of a handheld device. (as far as I know BT and Woolich has a device they offer to sell, the others doe's not)
I have a flight scheduled on April for free practice in Serres Racing Circuit so I would really love having this done by than.
Anyway, can anyone please tell me if they had this issue (or heard of it) and if it was solved with an ECU flash?
I've tried reading about it all over the web and in my "professional" opinion, either something is wrong with my bike (ECU, sensors etc) or maybe the fact I'm racing with Dunlop KR slick tires, which has different rear tire size than stock (rear is 195/65 ZR17 or 200/70 ZR17 compared to the 190/55 ZR17 stock), has something to do with it and it messes up the DTC sensor or something like that.
Any thoughts, suggestions, insights...?

Thanks !

· Registered
574 Posts
I was running 200/55 michelin slick tyres with the stock ECU, and found also that DTC at -7 was quite annoyingly intrusive at high lean angle i.e. mid-50deg bank angle range. So your feeling sounds normal.
What other people feel will depend on how agressive they are on the throttle at lean, and as stock black lines from the tyre are possible at -7 after picking it up a bit.

I had it flashed with rs2e, and is much improved, with a wider range of settings possible.
The rs2e guys say that the ecu can detect the tyre size automatically, measured from the abs ring, so no need to change anything. Not sure if this is also the case with the stock ECU.
Running 200/60 rear dunlop now with no issues also.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was running 200/55 michelin slick tyres with the stock ECU, and found also that DTC at -7 was quite annoyingly intrusive at high lean angle i.e. mid-50deg bank angle range. So your feeling sounds normal.
What other people feel will depend on how agressive they are on the throttle at lean, and as stock black lines from the tyre are possible at -7 after picking it up a bit.

I had it flashed with rs2e, and is much improved, with a wider range of settings possible.
The rs2e guys say that the ecu can detect the tyre size automatically, measured from the abs ring, so no need to change anything. Not sure if this is also the case with the stock ECU.
I will have to check the tire thing next trackday bro, thanks for that :)
My mechanic can change some settings on the ECU and I saw on this forum that we can set the tire to 200 so I told him we will give it a shot as well.
Regarding the flash, I tried to get help here thinking it will be a piece of cake but unfortunately it wasn't :)
I've contacted Brentuning and Exwerks asking for some more details. With exwerks, due to an unfortunate misunderstanding, it seems it won't happen anytime soon so I'm looking elsewhere.
Brentuning were on the top of my list along with Exwerks until they stopped responding to my questions letting me believe the reason they are not answering me is because their flash won't solve my problem...maybe I'm wrong but who knows.
I found another company on eBay who uses Woolich flash and for a much reasonable price than all the others so I might contact them but after reading your comment, Rs2e might be back on my list.
Anyway, can you please elaborate on the changes you felt after the Rs2e flash? Specifically regarding the DTC.
Thanks bro !

· Registered
7 Posts

Great info. You just added to my knowledge.

· Registered
32 Posts
A few things to clarify.

1. Stock DTC is definitely impacted by different tire dimensions if you have not specified the updated parameters.
2. RS2E uses the average of the known race tire dimensions to specify base DTC parameters, and then learns based on your riding. Besides Alpha Racing and MRCK, they are the only ones that will be able to provide audible traction control and split throttle functionality. I'm hoping Woolich figures it out soon.
3. BT is a handheld tune, whereas Woolich is not. WRT gives you full access to the ECU parameters via their software, and you will need to add some wiring in order to flash your ECU.
4. 2WDW is local to me and I have worked with them a bunch on many of my bikes. They use Woolich for the BMWs, and their tunes are race-inspired - used many riders at the club and professional level (MotoAmerica).

Just personal preference, but my choices would be either 2WDW or RS2E.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi!
I have the same “problem”
Very intrusive
I from Spain and run with Kr tyres too
The size tires is not a problem. The ecu learn it (I Checked with aim datalogger the 2 speed wheels are the same)
I minimize the effect looking for mechanical grip and soft and new tires while I find a solution.
If I can help tell me
Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.