BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for posting, Benny.

We expect the S1000R will get a similar engine as the S1000XR and not the ShiftCam-equipped version of the 999cc Inline-Four equipped on the S1000RR.
:mad:

Is that the 2022 S1000R?
Because BMW USA already shows the 2021, and it's the same as the 2020.

·
Registered
138 Posts

The BMW S 1000 R for 2021 has been announced featuring a host of attributes found on the latest generation S 1000 RR sports bike

BMW have given the S 1000 R naked roadster a 2021 refresh, now featuring a Euro5 engine, lighter transmission, and revised ‘Flex Frame’.

The styling of the bike is the most noticeable change, with the slightly mug-eyed font end of before being ditched in favour of a slightly more traditional single headlight. While it makes the new bike look slightly less gawky, it does, if you squint, make it look a bit like the R 1250 R. I’m not sure if that is good, or bad.

BMW S1000 R
BMW S1000 R

Engine
For 2021 the new unit is obviously gaining Euro5 compliancy and succeeds in meeting emissions without loosing any power output. That S 1000 RR-derived unit means fans of the bike will have 165bhp on tap and 84 lb-ft of torque. 4th, 5th, and 6th gear now run taller ratios, helping the bike to meet the latest noise and emissions standards.

The new bike features an updated assisted slipper clutch and is now available with engine drag torque control (MSR) for the first time on the model. The system prevents the rear wheel from slipping as a result of abrupt use of the throttle or downshifting thanks to being electronically controlled.

BMW S1000 R
BMW S1000 R

Chassis
The chassis of the BMW S 1000 R has also been given a thorough going over, with weight reduction being the order of the day. The frame and underslung swingarm are now directly related to the RR and are significantly lighter than the previous version of this machine.

The frame of the bike is now called a ‘Flax Frame’, which for this year sees the engine taking on a greater supporting role than before. The design allows the engineers to specify where the bike will flex, helping with stability when cornering at high lean angles.

The new frame is also narrower at the centre point, making the riding position more comfortable than before.

BMW S 1000 R
BMW S 1000 R

Equipment
The TFT of the new bike is lifted directly from the RR, meaning it is fitted with a 6.5 TFT that is easy to read and clearly laid out. Within the TFT there are a host of updated or all-new riding modes. The bike is equipped as standard with traction control, ABS Pro with cornering functions, and the three riding modes Rain, Road and Dynamic.

The fully configurable Dynamic Pro mode is also available with a wider range of setting options as part of the Riding Modes Pro option. With Riding Modes Pro, the new S 1000 R also features the engine brake control in conjunction with the engine drag torque control (MSR) and the Power Wheelie function. As part of the Riding Modes Pro option, Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) additionally supports the rider during emergency braking manoeuvres.

The bike also features a new LED headlight and tail light as standard, with cornering lights available as an option with the Headlight Pro pack.

2021 BMW S 1000 R Specs

Capacitycc999
Bore/strokemm80/49.7
OutputkW/hp121/165
At engine speedrpm11000
TorqueNm114
At engine speedrpm9250
Type Water-cooled in-line 4-cylinder engine
Compression/fuel 12.5:1 / premium (super plus) unleaded petrol, octane number
95-98 (RON) (knock control; rated output with 98 RON)
Valve/accelerator actuation DOHC (double overhead camshaft) Valve activation via individual rocker arms
Valves per cylinder 4
Ø intake/outletmm33.5/27.2
Throttle valve diametermm48
Engine control BMS-O
Emission control Closed-loop three-way catalytic converter
Electrical system
AlternatorW330
Battery series/ AGMV/Ah12 / 9, maintenance-free
Battery M Lightweight / Li IoV/Ah12 / 5, maintenance-free
HeadlightWFull LED headlamp
StarterkW0.8
Power transmission – gearbox
Clutch Self-reinforcing multi-plate anti-hopping wet clutch, mechanically activated
Gearbox Constant-mesh 6-speed gearbox
Primary ratio 1.652
Transmission ratiosI2.647
II2.091
III.1.727
IV1.476
V1.304
VI1.167
Rear wheel drive Chain 525
Secondary ratio 2.647
Suspension
Frame construction type Aluminium composite bridge frame, load-bearing engine
Front wheel control Upside-down telescopic fork, sliding tube diameter ø 45 mm
Rear wheel suspension Aluminium underslung double-sided swingarm with central spring strut and Full Floater Pro kinematics
Spring travel, front/rearmm120/117
Wheel castormm96.3

The Hockenheim Silver with the Flourescent Green isn't bad.
Still hope they release an all black bike soon.
I believe the host said the new SIngle R shares the same engine as the DoubleR, just tuned for low end torque.
Can anyone confirm?
Also would like to confirm the US price, and seat height.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sees new headlight

Oh, and got an email from a salesman that the market launch in Europe is May 2021.

Reactions: maybeinoregon

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sees new headlight

View attachment 214134

Oh, and got an email from a salesman that the market launch in Europe is Mai 2021.
The host in the livestream unveil said Euro launch is in May 2021 (y)
I wish BMW would have done a front end more like the Aprilia Tuono,
which offered a surprising amount of wind protection after riding one at 120mph.

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
92 Posts
I wonder where the flat spot is. No worries though, with the torque optimization ecu flash, the hp will be about 120 to 130hp. I know, I know, I am being a bit snarky. Couldn't resist. :) Kidding aside, can't really decide about the front of the bike. Will need to see it in person before deciding.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The host in the livestream unveil said Euro launch is in May 2021 (y)
I wish BMW would have done a front end more like the Aprilia Tuono,
which offered a surprising amount of wind protection after riding one at 120mph.
It feels like lazy designing to me. They should have went for a more aggressive look like the RR then this pug like dog face.

Reactions: maybeinoregon

·
Registered
138 Posts

A truly super naked: Fresh BMW S1000R revealed for 2021
2021 BMW S1000R

BMW’s all-new, eagerly anticipated S1000R is lighter and more sophisticated than ever before.

The new bike replaces the old S1000R introduced in 2014 which was based on the original S1000RR superbike, although its four-cylinder engine was detuned from 193bhp to 160bhp (rising to 165bhp in 2017).

Six years on, however, its star was starting to fade in the face of improved competition and, following the arrival of BMW’s all-new 204bhp S1000RR last year, a new R was only a matter of time.

And here it is, based heavily on the latest and greatest RR, but significantly reworked. The 5kg lighter engine has been retuned to maximise midrange and produces an unchanged peak power of 165bhp at 11,000rpm.

The chassis is also based on the latest RR’s, which contributes to the overall 6.5kg weight reduction and features slightly sharper steering geometry. The frame’s a little slimmer and the handlebar position is adjustable. Brakes and suspension come straight off the RR along with the option of BMW’s Dynamic Damping Control (DDC) semi-active suspension. The 2021 S1000R also gets an impressive 6.5in colour TFT display.

The bike’s also been given a major styling makeover and has a striking LED headlight (BMW’s adaptive, 'steering' headlight is also an option). Two models will be in dealers late spring: the base S1000R at £12,055 and the up-specced S1000R Sport, with uprated electronics and DDC at £14,000.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The general updates are nice. The front looks crap. Why do they have to re-use parts of other bikes? In this case the F900R. Feels cheap. Preferred the old crazy split face much more. The new pricing strategy with the M-Package like we saw with the RR forces me to buy the forged wheels, Li-Ion battery and the "sport" slipon which I don't want if I just want the white color. It really bugs me. Got a few thousand dollars more expensive if I want it with comparable features as the previous bike. It got the same gearing as the new XR so longer, no power increase, midrange torque slightly down... it wont go as good as the old R. I dunno, am just not feeling it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks to JohnnyGT for posting the PDF (y)
Info from the PDF:

"The engine of the new S 1000 R is derived directly from the supersports S 1000 RR. The development challenge was to maintain the power and free-revving character in the relevant engine speed range even without the use of BMW ShiftCam. In some ranges we were even able to surpass the S 1000 RR!"
Jörg Vogt, Head of S 1000 Series Drive Projects

Completely new 4-cylinder engine based on the RR engine with adapted gear ratios for reduced fuel consumption and noise levels.
The new S 1000 R features a completely newly developed water-cooled 4-cylinder in-line engine based on the S 1000 RR power unit. Its peak output is 121 kW (165 hp) at 11 000 rpm. The maximum torque is 114 Nm and is reached at 9 250 rpm. Compared to the predecessor model, compression was increased from 12.0 to 12.5. In the S 1000 R the useable engine speed range was made even wider, fuller and more harmonious in terms of achieving even more improved rideability thanks to a particularly linear torque curve.

the ergonomic triangle has been shifted forward by about 15 mm compared to the predecessor, giving the rider a noticeably more front-wheel-oriented position

The new design is accompanied by ergonomic refinements - something that BMW Motorrad development always focuses on. For example, a reversible handlebar clamp now allows the handlebar reach to be increased by 10 mm, which is particularly suitable for tall people and ensures an even better riding position. In addition, 10 mm handlebar riser mounts are offered as an option, which can also be turned in the direction of travel by 0 mm / +10 mm. The new S 1000 R offers further ergonomic adjustment options for the seat height. For example,
the standard seat height of 830 mm can be changed to 850 mm or 810 mm,
depending on individual requirements, with the optional "high" or "low" seats.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don't mind the headlight as much now, compared to when I saw the spy shots. But then again I own an R1250R so.....

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
92 Posts
This might be a silly question. It seems like a lot of the comments are aimed the the headlight assembly. Many seem to not like it, while others do. Is there a market for custom headlight assemblies/ferings (spelling?)? How difficult would it be? Just curious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This might be a silly question. It seems like a lot of the comments are aimed the the headlight assembly. Many seem to not like it, while others do. Is there a market for custom headlight assemblies/ferings (spelling?)? How difficult would it be? Just curious.
Not as hideous as their beaver-pig hybrid front end on their cars...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts