BMW S1000RR Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2021 BMW s1000rr, Kawasaki Z H2
11 Posts
I'm running the tractive a track/race bike. Damping is so much better than normal it doesn't feel like DDC.
Currently fine tuning the springs and trying to get the geometry right for front feel on dunlop slicks.
Piper, thanks for speaking up! Thats great to hear. My suspension guy thinks I'm crazy for trying to keep the ddc. I have the front inserts ordered to at least have the bike set up for a heavy weight. The rear works okay for me now. Did you do the front and rear?

· Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
9,431 Posts
Piper, thanks for speaking up! Thats great to hear. My suspension guy thinks I'm crazy for trying to keep the ddc. I have the front inserts ordered to at least have the bike set up for a heavy weight. The rear works okay for me now. Did you do the front and rear?
How many turns rear preload did you put in? What are your comp and rebound set to for the rear?

· Registered
11 Posts
Not much, maybe 5-7 turns in the rear and my softer setting is 11, 5C 7R and my harder setting when the fluid is hot is 12, 6C 8R.

I had a shop try to set it up in the winter with the original cat on. It took all preload in front to get 42mm and all preload in rear to get 30mm rear. Did not handle well. When I changed to akra headers it was far too stiff to ride so I progressively let out preload and actually found myself quite close to the lower limit. I was running 8 for compression but when you have someone push on the front and then the rear- you can see how much stiffer the rear is and i think it was overwhelming the front. Tbh I think im right abt 5.5 turns or 5 3/4. I have no idea what the sag number is but I dont bottom the rear often and it feels good. I ran these settings on a fast paced WV trip yesterday on new M9RR and the bike felt as good as ever with 11k miles on it since Feb 2022.

· Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
9,431 Posts
I had
Not much, maybe 5-7 turns in the rear and my softer setting is 11, 5C 7R and my harder setting when the fluid is hot is 12, 6C 8R.

I had a shop try to set it up in the winter with the original cat on. It took all preload in front to get 42mm and all preload in rear to get 30mm rear. Did not handle well. When I changed to akra headers it was far too stiff to ride so I progressively let out preload and actually found myself quite close to the lower limit. I was running 8 for compression but when you have someone push on the front and then the rear- you can see how much stiffer the rear is and i think it was overwhelming the front. Tbh I think im right abt 5.5 turns or 5 3/4. I have no idea what the sag number is but I dont bottom the rear often and it feels good. I ran these settings on a fast paced WV trip yesterday on new M9RR and the bike felt as good as ever with 11k miles on it since Feb 2022.
Yeah I think I had way too much preload in the rear. I backed it all the way off and backed the comp and rebound off. I've re done the front but ended up all turns in. Running 4, 6 and 8 to test. Rear is 1 and 3. But will probably need to add some preload. Was going to test yesterday but weather didn't hold up.

· Registered
11 Posts
I had

Yeah I think I had way too much preload in the rear. I backed it all the way off and backed the comp and rebound off. I've re done the front but ended up all turns in. Running 4, 6 and 8 to test. Rear is 1 and 3. But will probably need to add some preload. Was going to test yesterday but weather didn't hold up.
My front turns and feels best abt 1.25-1.5 turns out from full preload. 1.25 turns with new tires. I have been able to keep from bottoming out mostly with using 12 comp. Yes the valves are doing the job of the spring but that's what I need atm.

· Registered
574 Posts
I have both the TT front cartridges and the TT rear shock installed.
Will be riding it tomorrow at Motegi.
Have been pushing the front, but when I get it sorted I can provide hints on setup if anyone is interested.

· Registered
11 Posts
I have both the TT front cartridges and the TT rear shock installed.
Will be riding it tomorrow at Motegi.
Have been pushing the front, but when I get it sorted I can provide hints on setup if anyone is interested.
I am very interested! I am keeping the rear shock for now but may upgrade later if the front cartridges go well. There was literally no 1st hand info out there on a Gen 4 until I heard from you! I am not a racer, but a faster mountain/backroad rider. I am sure that your experience would be valuable to me and posted on the forum.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts