BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

161 - 180 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yamaha ran out of there engine allocation last year . So yamaha might now be able to fix what ever was blowing up the engines due to the 2021 season engine freeze .

Iwonder if pre season testing is included in engine allocation for 2021 ? I hope not .

This rule is supposed to cut costs but it actually raises cost due to increased race engineering hours.

Less rules equals less money spent .All is needed is displacement , number of cylinders, minimum weight ,normally asperated ,no rotaries .and same ECU.

Example:cutting fuel cost a fortune in race engineering. Cutting engine allocations costs a fortune. HUman nature is when there is a rule engineers are supposed to find a solution around the new rule which cost money.

Also when you keep the same basic rules performance finds its own level and you get close racing .

now=not

·
Administrator
7,722 Posts
Guess who's back. Just got a call... Marc Marquez is preparing to ride at R3 at Portimao. I'm told the medical test is a formality. They were close to letting him ride in round 1, but he chose to continue to build strength in the bone rather than stress it by racing. It has given him pretty much an extra month of recovery by the time R3 rolls around, and he is confident he can win the title having missed the first 2 rounds. I don't doubt it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Guess who's back. Just got a call... Marc Marquez is preparing to ride at R3 at Portimao. I'm told the medical test is a formality. They were close to letting him ride in round 1, but he chose to continue to build strength in the bone rather than stress it by racing. It has given him pretty much an extra month of recovery by the time R3 rolls around, and he is confident he can win the title having missed the first 2 rounds. I don't doubt it.
MM if his arm can keep up with his talent will win the championship this year, there is no other rider that consistently finishes on the podium every race like MM. His arm is a question mark but he doesn't seem the type to come back if he feels he can't win.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Elk not my opinion its from an article in Race Engine Technology a UK magazine. THat article got info from studies of racing costs of f1, nascar motogp wsbk ect ect. all forms of motor racing .

I just hope he is truly healed. You know Honda is pushing for his return as M Marque is there only hope of a good finishes.

BTW has anyone else noticed the field was running 50-55 degree lean angle. MM93 was cornering at a 60-65 degree angle. I remember MM93 saying he was asking Honda to improve handling because part of riding around the bikes handling problems was forcing him to do 60-65 degree lean angles to be competitive/win.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Oh well, not the best race day for our Cam Beaubier at Doha. Still early in the season.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Race 2 at Qatar. Rider skill beats superior bike again .I think the ducati riders will not take risks in the infield as they figure they can pass so easily on the straits.. RIns road Hard the entire race and actually wore his tires before the end of the race . Also Rins save when front washed out on him was one for the history books. He slide almost the entire width of the track.
LIked seeing Alex Espargro and the Aprilia so competitive . NO one rode harder than Pol Espargro he fought the crap handling yet fast/powerful RCV213V the entire race only to finish 13th.
KTM was looking competitive but faded late in the race . I suspect tire wear problems . Seems like manufacturers using V4 engines make more power and are hard on tires.

Marc Marquez is the fastest rider there has ever been but the Honda has fallen farther back almost non competitive . Hard to see MArquez over comming such a large gap without crashing out.

I heard his manager wanted him to sign for Ducati back in 2019 but Marquez went for the big Honda paycheck. Can you imagin Marquez on this years Ducati? IMO he would win every race .

PS has anyone noticed Miller over shoots corners after the long strait aways ? Not just in this race but in general.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I heard his manager wanted him to sign for Ducati back in 2019 but Marquez went for the big Honda paycheck. Can you imagin Marquez on this years Ducati? IMO he would win every race .
More likely he saw what happened when Rossi, arguably at his peak, went to Ducati, and MM simply wanted to continue winning. ;)

How many MORE Championships would Rossi have if he hadn't gone to Yamaha, and then Ducati?

·
Registered
300 Posts
ZZZ that was a totally different bike . Rossi rode the carbon fiber Monoque bike. by the time Marquez contract was due the Ducati had went with aluminum box section frame and
had been the best bike for 2-3 years. Thats why Dovi could run with MArquez. MAny people where afraid a DUcati/MArquez combination would ruin MotoGP as he would win all the races by a wide margin. From 2015 to 2021 the HOnda has been the worst handling bike in motogp and Marquez won titles IMagin how dominant he would have been on the Ducati the best bike over all in MotoGP .

FYI...IN theory the carbon fiber monoque chassis should be so good it would leap frog over the Aluminum box section chassis but no one has been able to figure out the puzzle. BTW i read both DUcati and yamaha still are working on a carbon fiber monoque chassis as side projects.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
ZZZ that was a totally different bike .
Immaterial. The fact remains that they haven't won a title since Stoner in 2007. There's a reason for that, and MM saw it said "Nope!" The fact also remains that MM has been successful on the Honda.

As for the Honda being "the worst handling bike", when there's a winning rider, they have it tailored 100% to meet THEIR needs, which may make it pretty much a truck for anyone else...and that's just the way a #1 rider in the team likes it. ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
ZZZ ?Honda yamaha ducati ktm ALL set bikes up to the riders particular needs . Pol ESpargro isnt riding MM93 bike.
he is a good ,fast seasoned rider and he was 13th? WHy? the rcv213v is the worst handling bike in motogp. EVEn Marc marquez himself has stated the rcv213v is a lousey handling bike that he has to ride around its poor handling . Dont you remember in 2019 when hnda was angry with MARquez for saying the honda was ill handling?

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
A question I have is if MM can jump on a different manufacturer and win the first race on it? Not many can. We all know Rossi did.

I wonder if the old MM still exists? Or will he be too cautious now to have any major accidents?

He needs what, 2 more world titles to beat Rossi? Would be interesting to see if he makes top 5 at Portugal. Will he be riding his setup from the beginning of 2020 or trying to adapt to the current Pol setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ZZZ

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
ZZZ ?Honda yamaha ducati ktm ALL set bikes up to the riders particular needs . Pol ESpargro isnt riding MM93 bike.
he is a good ,fast seasoned rider and he was 13th? WHy? the rcv213v is the worst handling bike in motogp. EVEn Marc marquez himself has stated the rcv213v is a lousey handling bike that he has to ride around its poor handling . Dont you remember in 2019 when hnda was angry with MARquez for saying the honda was ill handling?
No, Honda BUILT it around MM, just like other manufacturers had bikes built around their #1 rider, and sometimes that had a big effect in their #2 NOT being able to ride the bike effectively. Remember the "Rossi Wall" in pit lane?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was very glad to see Zarco's performance. He's always been fast and able to conserve his tires. It's great to see him leading the championship.

It will be very interesting to see MM in Portimao. I don't think he knows how to ride conservatively. It's not in his nature.

I look forward to seeing him mix it up with the new front-runners.

I'm rooting for Zarco.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Honda set up the bike to Marquez preferred settings just like they do for every rider. Like i just said Marquez himself said the RCV213 was a ill handling bike. Manufactures first set up the bike to handle its horsepower then to the track they are using and then fine tuning for riders preferences . No one breaks out blueprints designing a bike to riders wants ....Cart before the horse.

Fbto Honda will not be using Pol Espargros settings. They will set the bike up with Marquez settings

Another problem honda has is Marquez runs the team. In a podcast with Marquez and his crew chief marquez said ..i told him just give me more horsepower i will ride around the handling problems... Every race the announcers talk how the honda is a crap handling bike. Riders say the bike is ...tough to ride(pc for crap handling bike ) Honda just doesnt want to spend the $$$ TO design a all new bike all the money is going into F1 which is roughly 10 times the cost .

Hi Baron congrates you predicted Zarco even before the 1st Qatar race.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
No one breaks out blueprints designing a bike to riders wants ....
I believe they do, I've seen it. The engine location, critical things like that, that you really CAN'T change after the fact, have all been designed for the #1 rider's needs. Rossi has had tremendous influence on the design of the Yamaha back in his prime, and even when he went to Ducati. They have changed frame material based on a rider's needs.

If you had a rider that was multi-times Champion TELL you he needed this or that to win, well, you'd do it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I forget the year, and the manufacturer, but I remember one season years ago in Formula 1 that they made the CF tub specifically for their #1 driver....and the other driver couldn't fit in it!!! Now THAT was a fustercluck! Seem to think it was...Migel Mansell maybe that was a mite too....ahhh..."stout"?

·
Registered
300 Posts
ZZZ a MotoGP bike can change engine location and the engine can be rotated. Rossi is a multi time champion and Ducati listened to him and like marquez the bike got worse. Let race engineers do there jobs . The rider is just there to give input to what the bike is doing ,the engineers job is to fix any chassis problems .

Bottom line is the honda is the worst handling bike in MotoGP and has been for years . Marquez is so good he won titles despite of the RCV213 crap handling .
I just hope he can still ride around the handling problems without crashing . The horsepower race created big problems for honda , problems for yamaha and KTM and suzuki stated... We are not going into the horsepower contest, we will not putmore Horsepower into the chassis than it can handle ... Which worked out well for them.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Yes, but now MM will have year old settings. I’m sure there were lots of development over the last year. He hasn’t had any practice time. So FP1 will be the first time on the bike since early last year! These guys are breaking track records...by a lot. He will have a lot of catching up to do. Might not be a easy transition for him the first few races/sessions. Not sure what his stamina will be like doing heavy laps. Can he win the championship this year, yes. Will it be a cake walk, no!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ZZZ
161 - 180 of 251 Posts