BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

141 - 160 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Baron Ducati has already sorted the Michlins as they are 1 & 2 on the Qutar lap time . Top speed is attained for a very short time so it doesnt effect lap times very much.

Example: Hondas also very fast (2nd top speed)but being crap handling still they are 10th,12th and 18th in lap time .

Morbidelli is riding his a$$ off on the Yamaha which is down on power and has handling problems ( not hondas level of bad handling lol)

Vinales is throwing Yamaha under the bus .Complaining of Yamahas handling problems . IMO at least Yamaha is working hard on the problem unlike Honda .

Suzuki handling excellence ,don on power midpack times.

KTM set up problems , You have to give them slack as they can have crap handling one day , excellent handling the next Great power.

10-12 years ago Chassis engineers said the steel trellis chassis could not handle over 200 hp. KTM and MV Agusta proved them wrong ( MV F4RC was the best handling bike in WSBK and they got the same HP as the Yamaha R1 out of a 20 year old engine design with old Hemi heads . Finishing 4-5 in races they where 3 best bike behind kawasaki and Ducati ... MV pulled off miricles. To put into perspective imagine finishing 4-5 in 2017-18 on the ORIGINAL 1999 R1 !!)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks for the info zzz. Told you Bagnaia has Speed. IMO Yamaha has the strongest riders as a whole . Rossi 4th!! , He could win if he can pull off his past lap consistency . Quartararo , Vinales are fast in qualifying but fade in race . Honda 11th and 12th crap handling bike .Honda better bribe the doctors to make sure Marquez returns if they want a good result.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Thanks for the info zzz. Told you Bagnaia has Speed. IMO Yamaha has the strongest riders as a whole . Rossi 4th!! , He could win if he can pull off his past lap consistency . Quartararo , Vinales are fast in qualifying but fade in race . Honda 11th and 12th crap handling bike .Honda better bribe the doctors to make sure Marquez returns if they want a good result.
I watched both Bagnaia's and Rossi's lap, Rossi was DEFINITELY smoother, but ultimately not as fast. BUT, it's a long race, 1 lap speed usually doesn't count for squat. Rossi looks energized, and the Petronas team environment may be JUST what Rossi needed to perk him up. How cool would it be to see Rossi put together a consistent season....and win his 10th Championship? Considering how last season went, with NOBODY really seeming to want the championship, if he keeps this up, and the rest keep THAT up, he could certainly pull it off. I'm rooting for him!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Oh, and if Rossi DID win the championship this year, that would be with 2 different manufacturers, 5 different displacements, both 2-stroke and 4-stroke, and 3 different teams.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
I watched both Bagnaia's and Rossi's lap, Rossi was DEFINITELY smoother, but ultimately not as fast. BUT, it's a long race, 1 lap speed usually doesn't count for squat. Rossi looks energized, and the Petronas team environment may be JUST what Rossi needed to perk him up. How cool would it be to see Rossi put together a consistent season....and win his 10th Championship? Considering how last season went, with NOBODY really seeming to want the championship, if he keeps this up, and the rest keep THAT up, he could certainly pull it off. I'm rooting for him!
Yes, great point about the impact of Petronas team environment on Rossi. They seem to be able to bring the best out of their riders.

Still sticking with my top-3 predictions in some order of Mav, MM93, Quartararo. It’d be great to see the former moto2 champ or Rossi can spoil the party. Dovi is definitely missed.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've been thinking about this and as much as I'd like Rossi to win another championship at 42, I think I'd be even happier to see Zarco defy the naysayers, fulfill his potential and win one!

·
Registered
300 Posts
GREAT race Ducati super strong FAst and good handling but the great power is beating up rear tires. THey thought they had problem sorted but in race the problem resurfaced. Strong headwind during race added to wheel spin curious to see next race.

Maverick Vinales rode the race of his life. As other Yamaha faded he came on strong to win. Suzuki came on at the end of race. They are easy on tires and best handling bike in MotoGP . But there power deficit that allows nimble chassis, caught them out down the strait and they ended up 4th. Honda continues to be the worst handling bike in MotoGP 2 out of 3 bikes crashed only Pol Espargro finishing 8th,and that was only because of attrition . Until M.Marquez returns i wouldnt expect a honda on the podium.

Aprilia was looking good dicing with the Yamahas and Suzukis throughout the race . Can see them on podium on a tight technical track
KTM was struggling with set up. BIke has power but steel chassis is harder to set up and they are on there own as far as steel chassis engineering .
Dont count them out as KTM is diligent. THey are crap handlers one race then good the next .

141 - 160 of 251 Posts