BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

601 - 620 of 694 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yep. I read that KTM was using synthetic fuel.
THAT'S interesting. I thought the teams were all restricted to running a "spec" fuel from one vendor? In F1 there has been one fuel vendor/formulation for years. From what I remember this was for safety reasons after a pit fire. At the time Ferrari was running, basically, a "rocket fuel" from Shell, that was so nasty, the pit crew needed to wear gas masks while refueling, not just the fire safety gear! It was super toxic and supposedly heavily-oxygenated and had all sorts of exotic compounds in it that added maybe 40hp over an equivalent engine running regular race gas. So, I'd thought MotoGP also had specs on the race gas the teams could run, not just the absurd limits on how much fuel you could use in a race.

·
Registered
500 Posts
i heard in crash podcast ep6 they question how its legal.

Synthetic oil is basically regular oil put in a centrifuge separating long and short molecule strands and they use the short or long (forget which is used which isnt) creating ...synthetic oil.

Are they doing the same process with spec fuel? IMHO if its better let all use it and make new fuel spec . or have ktm go back to original spec fuel.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
i heard in crash podcast ep6 they question how its legal.

Synthetic oil is basically regular oil put in a centrifuge separating long and short molecule strands and they use the short or long (forget which is used which isnt) creating ...synthetic oil.

Are they doing the same process with spec fuel? IMHO if its better let all use it and make new fuel spec . or have ktm go back to original spec fuel.
Not sure about that, from what I remember PURE synthetic starts with chemicals not having a petroleum base, that it had nothing to do with long or short chains, but I'll have to check. I'd imagine "synthetic" fuel might be the same. Like biodiesel doesn't start from a petroleum base.

Regardless, it's interesting that KTM would be allowed to use a different fuel. I don't remember the rules enough to state offhand what's legal.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Aki Ajo: calm, focus and how to make a champion | Last On The Brakes Podcast

·
Registered
500 Posts
Synthetic oil starts with regular oil thats certain . i dont know what base is is used in synthetic ... fuel.. just cant see how its not illegal if regular petrolium isnt the base.
thanks speedfinn

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for info so there is gasoline synthetic fuel and a non petrolium based like synthetic fuel SO how is the latter legal??? Is the ..spec.. fuel non gasoline base Synthetic?

The gasoline based synthetic seems more likely as gasoline helps lubricate cylinders as well as cools cylinders AND possible loophole in rules.

BTW Baron thank you GREAT article!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Synthetic oil starts with regular oil thats certain . i dont know what base is is used in synthetic ... fuel.. just cant see how its not illegal if regular petrolium isnt the base.
thanks speedfinn
Seems like it's not 100% cut and dried. SOME synthetics do not use petroleum as a base, some do.

"What Is the Difference Between Synthetic and Conventional Oil?
Basically, the key difference between synthetic and conventional oils are their compositions. Conventional oil uses crude oil as its base, while synthetic oil uses other products and is engineered in a lab. That’s it!"
Synthetic vs Conventional Oil | The Drive

"Synthetic oil is a man-made lubricant that consists of artificially made chemical compounds. Synthetic oils are typically created from chemically modified materials such as petroleum components, but the base material is almost always distilled crude oil. Any additional additives and the actual synthesis process for creating synthetic oil varies among producers and is considered a trade secret."
Synthetic Oil: Everything You Need To Know (caranddriver.com)

·
Registered
500 Posts
After the regular oil is put through centrifuge its considered ...man made petroleum components...
i think? they use the long strand molecules for the synthetic . not really complicated a chemical engineer told me

What i need to research/ask him is how they make synthetic oil from natural gas??? Also, is it good , bad or just a gimmick?

anyone know what oil motogp bikes and f1 cars run?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just saw this on crash.net in the middle of a report of an interview with Petrucci. I guess fuel can vary by sponsor...

The factory team's change of fuel supplier to ETS is also said to have helped the top speed of Oliveira and team-mate Brad Binder, but for now Tech3 continues with long-time sponsor Elf.

·
Registered
500 Posts
All... check out crash motogp podcast 7 on you tube . Lots of new motogp info. Quartaroro gets 3 MORE seconds penalty post race .He is now credited for 6th place finish in Catulyuna

·
Registered
500 Posts
Marquez does 79 laps in testing .
Most of any rider testing . They say his riding skills have returned . Sachsenring is Marquez best track but i am predicting Mir on Suzuki for the win Quartararo Yamaha 2nd Olivera KTM 3rd Bagnia Ducati 4th Marquez Honda 5th

Come on guys amke your predictions ...

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #614 ·
Marquez does 79 laps in testing .
Most of any rider testing . They say his riding skills have returned . Sachsenring is Marquez best track but i am predicting Mir on Suzuki for the win Quartararo Yamaha 2nd Olivera KTM 3rd Bagnia Ducati 4th Marquez Honda 5th

Come on guys amke your predictions ...
Would like to see Mav, Fabio and MM93 in top-3.

·
8,310 Posts
Mir, MM93, Fabio, Zarco/Miller top 4.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #617 ·
Slightly offtopic but still gp racing related and I didn’t want to a separate thread for this - any idea why the bmw worldsbk s1000 gear-shifts sound like this:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I'm thinking MM will probably be sitting b!tch on the back of a scooter on the way back to the pits... :ROFLMAO: :p

·
Registered
314 Posts
I predict fabio, mir, Miller, MM comes in at 4th after a good effort.

·
8,310 Posts
Slightly offtopic but still gp racing related and I didn’t want to a separate thread for this - any idea why the bmw worldsbk s1000 gear-shifts sound like this:
It has the clap. It's telling Sykes he sucks. Do you mean audible TC or actual engine shift cutoff? Up shifts or down? They sound differently.

Reactions: gmten
601 - 620 of 694 Posts