BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

561 - 580 of 694 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yeah, that was quite strange and scary if he were to have gone down with so much exposed skin.

On a related note, I thought the race suits in motogp had full upper body airbag protection but was surprised to see him wearing the conventional chest protectors that he had later throw out.
You can see many of them putting it in before the race, and from what I just read it's mandatory. Now, if the zipper on the leathers failed, I can't see THAT in and of itself being his fault EXCEPT that when I saw it I thought he should have immediately put a hand up and slowed down offline to re-zip, and definitely shouldn't have tossed his chest protector out for his own safety not to mention everyone else behind him! Glad nobody hit that and highsided! Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't penalize him for deliberately throwing large debris on track as well. TOTALLY unsafe. But at the very least, he should have made the effort to pull offline and attempt to fix his leathers. I'm actually surprised the stewards didn't immediately call him into the pits to fix them if he couldn't while on track within a lap or so, and I'm kind of surprised they didn't black flag him riding around until the end of the race like that. He's LUCKY an additional 3sec penalty for that was all he got. Looks like he got the "exceeding track limits" not for him losing the front and going wide, but I saw him do it earlier when he was racing Miller I think it was. You could see he clearly went off track to his right.\

Interesting race for sure! I gotta say, MotoGP.com REALLY has to get it together on the "No Spoiler" thing. For those of us who watch it later in the day, as soon as you open their [email protected]<king page, there the winner is, up front and center all over the page....damn... Gonna complain to them so hopefully they can fix that. One of the main reasons I HAVE a subscription is so I can watch the races at my leisure....

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Neither MotoGP FIM nor Alpinestars want to say that Fabio's air vest deployed by mistake. It's crazy that cost him the win.
Dunno if the airbag actually went off. Fabio just said in the interview the zipper opened, I think he would have said if the airbag went off. You can bet there WILL be an investigation, especially since he was penalized for not zipping back up soon enough. Lucky not to be black flagged for safety reasons and/or throwing large debris out on track like that. I understand "heat of the moment" but that was a d!ck move to everyone behind him.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Things that make you go HmMMm.. LOL

Glad he's ok though. Mir falls off a bicycle and breaks his arm (I wondered why he wasn't on the grid) yet MM has binned it a bunch of times after being back and hasn't hurt his arm again? He is blessed...
MM CRASH.jpg

·
Registered
314 Posts
I watched the race last night and it's mind boggling to see MM have the issues he's having. Three DNFs in a row. I even heard one of the commentators state how the Honda's been having issues trail braking. Every single wreck marquez has had this year is due to him losing the front. I have to really wonder if the platform is the real issue here (oops I might've awoken the roehr dragon lol). All jokes aside I think he's on to something. Maybe Honda's 2nd tier riders don't perform well because they aren't pushing like MM is because they're aware of the inherent issues? It's frustrating to see either way. I was hoping to see him put up a challenge for a podium which he seemed on pace to do up until his crash. Great battles throughout the race. It was awesome to watch, but wth Fabio?? I was surprised to see his leathers open and down right shocked to see him toss his chest protector in the wind without a care in the world about anyone following him smh...brain fart moment?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I watched the race last night and it's mind boggling to see MM have the issues he's having. Three DNFs in a row. I even heard one of the commentators state how the Honda's been having issues trail braking. Every single wreck marquez has had this year is due to him losing the front. I have to really wonder if the platform is the real issue here (oops I might've awoken the roehr dragon lol). All jokes aside I think he's on to something. Maybe Honda's 2nd tier riders don't perform well because they aren't pushing like MM is because they're aware of the inherent issues? It's frustrating to see either way. I was hoping to see him put up a challenge for a podium which he seemed on pace to do up until his crash. Great battles throughout the race. It was awesome to watch, but wth Fabio?? I was surprised to see his leathers open and down right shocked to see him toss his chest protector in the wind without a care in the world about anyone following him smh...brain fart moment?
Great summary I think. Really gutted for him too.

·
8,310 Posts
Dunno if the airbag actually went off.
His air vest went off, pause the frame on his back, see how inflated his leathers are. Either way we will find out, Alpine* is investigating.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
His air vest went off, pause the frame on his back, see how inflated his leathers are. Either way we will find out, Alpine* is investigating.
I thought that too at first, and so did the announcers, but it was simply the wind at over 100MPH inflating it because his zipper was all the way open. Fabio said so when he mentioned "skydiving".

It will be interesting to see what happened. Actually, from a pure safety standpoint, I'm hoping it WAS the airbag deploying instead of a zipper failure. If Fabio had crashed while his leathers were open the roadrash could have been horrific. This is why I'm puzzled they didn't black flag him, or at least call him into the pits. You can be sure there will be new regulations covering this from now on. That maybe he's forced to put his hand up, pull off line and slow down, and if he can't fix the problem within a lap at those reduced speeds, he must pit. And if they can't fix it there, he needs new leathers before he can rejoin the race. I understand it was the end of the race, but that's a major safety issue.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Great summary I think. Really gutted for him too.

Wonder if that was the same corner that caught out that guy who ALMOST crashed and saved it? Rossi's problem looked to be a mechanical failure causing the crash. The announcers talked about how his suspension was compressed when the cornerworkers stood his bike up. Maybe that lowering mechanism for the launch control failed? I'm sure that will be looked into by Yamaha AND the stewards.

Funny how only in racing can you say "cornerworkers" with a straight face and no negative connotations... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Interesting race for sure! I gotta say, MotoGP.com REALLY has to get it together on the "No Spoiler" thing. For those of us who watch it later in the day, as soon as you open their [email protected]<king page, there the winner is, up front and center all over the page....damn... Gonna complain to them so hopefully they can fix that. One of the main reasons I HAVE a subscription is so I can watch the races at my leisure....
Why dont you use "No Spoiler" -start page???

·
Registered
500 Posts
Motpgp.com does splash the winner on homepage? whats the point of having no spoiler section when they do this ? CORK mine too but when winner is posted all over home page race is already spoiled.

YouTube= After the flag Analysis and coverage of the Catalan GP ..also on motogp.com . I dont have to Roehr about the honda rcv213 poor handling they do it for me lolol (roehr dragon roflmao) Ater the flag analyists said they are going to have entire video on hondas problems .Also they say the bike is DEFINITELY the problem NOT MARQUEZ

Maquez was riding Hard this race he is back . if not 100% he will be soon . (lets just pray bike doesnt injure him again)

Zoo sadly all the parts changes honda said they where doing is for Next year so no new bike in 2022.No new bike, Marquez still struggling next year.

KTM love seeing them do well. KTM handling well AND fast. Ducati has upped there handling , but big power chews rear tires .Bagnia screwed the pooch going medium rear .

Suzuki and Yamaha had said before Mugello they where going to try upping power a bit .Do not know if/when they did, but will see what happens .

Quartarro had suit malfunction but it was really the front tire wear that held him back . Penalty? being he had no chest protection its a saftey issue so they have to penalize him . Suprised he wasnt black flagged. 3 seconds is very fair imo

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just read an article on crash.net where MM says they're having grip problems with the Honda, they can't get it stopped to corner and they're losing acceleration because they have no rear grip...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Things that make you go HmMMm...
MotoGP
@14:06 - "...(MM)...you look now, Lemans, Mugello, and here in Barcelona, he's wasted a chance to score some pretty decent points...3 DNF's for the first time in a row...". Nowhere did I hear the announcers blame the bike instead of MM. In fact, they mentioned MM wasn't up to full fitness...as expected. I'm surprised he's having these troubles. Maybe there are medical problems that have not been disclosed. Many other riders have come back from a lot worse injuries a lot faster. I can;t remember how many times Schwantz actually rode with a broken wrist in a cast from a highside in qualifying or practice.

MM crashed all by himself, from pushing too hard, so did Pol. Takagami was smarter, until he exceeded track limits and then didn't do his penalty lap soon enough. Unless it's a mechanical failure (perhaps for Rossi), a solo crash is ALWAYS the rider's fault. If you feel something ain't right, slow down, and live to race another day when it IS right, and get what points you can. MM was looking pretty good, pushing thru the pack, up to 6th at one time. As a 2nd-tier rider now riding a 2nd-tier bike (not 1st-tier but certainly not last-tier) he should have been happy with the 6th or 7th place, which is about what could reasonably have been expected. But no, MM chose to push too hard...and ended up on his @$$. This hurts development of the Honda since from the point he crashed, they have no data. He was doing better in the year, NOT pushing too hard, NOT crashing, and was helping Honda make the bike better. Seems like he's gone back to his "Win It Or Bin It" days. Glad he's not hurt though, although he's lucky as h3ll, and that luck may not hold out much longer. As I said before, this season is shot, he needs to focus on getting fit and not doing anything (else) stupid, and making the bike better so they can BOTH be 1st-tier. And that doesn't happen when you're in the gravel taking a dirt nap...

·
Registered
500 Posts
ZZZ as far as Schwantz i thought the same thing .Then member here who has medical back round said upper arm break takes way longer to heal ,then i read the same thing as member stated on motogp news site .

Honda rcv213 is WAY over its original horsepower/stress design perimeters so if they stiffen chassis the front end has no feel and the front instantly washes away without any warning. Its like hitting patch of oil. This is not the riders fault and this is what happened to Marquez ..ZZZ .. The announcers ALWAYS are talking about the rcv213 being a poor handling bike. We all have heard them say the honda rcv213 is a poor handling bike they are just PC about it. No one wants to deal with hondas lawyers for slander.Honda is like disney in that respect.

SROD.. rear traction problems on the honda rcv213 ? New problem on top of front end traction problems. Jesus ,

Honda is in a.... lose,lose... situation. If they stiffen chassis front end washes away if they loosen up the chassis for traction/feel the rcv213 gets head shake and tank slappers.
manufacturers all sand bag horsepower figures but would LOVE to know the original 2013 rcv213 hp and the hp of todays rcv213.

BTW ZZZ M i c k Doohan said the honda rcv213 is a poor handling bike. Is M i c k Doohan a 2nd tier rider lolol

The honda rcv213 is the LAST TIER MotoGP bike on the grid . Its not competitive ,No one can ride the RCV213 without crashing or being 12th-14th on dry track=

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
ZZZ as far as Schwantz i thought the same thing .Then member here who has medical back round said upper arm break takes way longer to heal ,then i read the same thing as member stated on motogp news site .

Honda rcv213 is WAY over its original horsepower/stress design perimeters so if they stiffen chassis the front end has no feel and the front instantly washes away without any warning. Its like hitting patch of oil. This is not the riders fault and this is what happened to Marquez ..ZZZ .. The announcers ALWAYS are talking about the rcv213 being a poor handling bike. We all have heard them say the honda rcv213 is a poor handling bike they are just PC about it. No one wants to deal with hondas lawyers for slander.Honda is like disney in that respect.

SROD.. rear traction problems on the honda rcv213 ? New problem on top of front end traction problems. Jesus ,

Honda is in a.... lose,lose... situation. If they stiffen chassis front end washes away if they loosen up the chassis for traction/feel the rcv213 gets head shake and tank slappers.
manufacturers all sand bag horsepower figures but would LOVE to know the original 2013 rcv213 hp and the hp of todays rcv213.

BTW ZZZ M i c k Doohan said the honda rcv213 is a poor handling bike. Is M i c k Doohan a 2nd tier rider lolol

The honda rcv213 is the LAST TIER MotoGP bike on the grid . Its not competitive ,No one can ride the RCV213 without crashing or being 12th-14th on dry track=
In the video they just said it was MM, at the timestamp I mentioned. As a rider, unless it's a mechanical failure, it's ALWAYS your fault. MM was simply pushing too hard. He could have been less agressive and finished well. So, the combination wasn't good for 1st place or even the podium. Fine, he should have backed off and FINISHED the race, like Nakagami and the riders on different bikes. MM would have certainly finished ahead of Bagnaia, Binder, and Morbidelli. So, yeah, he's not in first place, but he still WOULD have finished well if he hadn't crashed.

I don't remember M!ck Doohan explicitly saying "the Honda is a poor-handling bike". They're having problems, but so are others. He didn't characterize it as "poor" from anything I watched. If he actually SAID that, in those words, then I'd believe it.

Seems like both humorus and radius/ulna take about the same time to heal, but injuries to the wrist can be worse because of the lack of blood flow to all those small bones, causing some of the bones to die. Also, the humerus is the main support, not involved in the finesse of twisting the throttle, applying the brake, etc., so I'd say forearm fractures are worse for a rider. If I remember Schwantz actually had to have a bunch of those bones removed.
Arm Fracture Guide: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options (drugs.com)

561 - 580 of 694 Posts