BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

241 - 260 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
None of the other manufacturers have head shake or tank slappers .? Its MotoGP 2021 not AMA 1978 .ZZZ do you turn the volume off when you watch races? They are always saying how bad the honda handles and that Marquez is the only rider who has the skill to ride around the handling problems . You actually can see the bars shaking violently . Re watch the first few laps and they also SHOW marquez in tank slapper right before crossing finish line and announcers comment on it .

Like i said even in 2019 after he won the title marquez and his crew chief said the honda was a bad handling bike in a podcast...After the flag?...Marquez blamed himself stating he told his crew chief Quote ...I will ride around the handling problems just give me more power to match the Ducatis . But he also said he wanted the handling problems fixed because he had to ride a 65 degree lean angle to make up for the bikes bad handling because at 65 degree lean angle he had no room for error.

ZZZ we are both MM93 fans why make his job harder and more dangerous ?

Yamaha had big handling problems in 2018-2019, but the worked hard spent $$$ and fixed/improved there handling problems. Why cant Honda do the same ? (They can , they just dont want to spend the $$$)

·
8,227 Posts
I feel bad for Suzuki. Their team is doing so well. Too bad the crash for 2nd place ruined it.
I wonder if Yamaha can keep taking wins, they have a good shot at the tile.
Rossi needs to retire lol.

Reactions: SRod321

·
Registered
405 Posts
I feel bad for Suzuki. Their team is doing so well. Too bad the crash for 2nd place ruined it.
I wonder if Yamaha can keep taking wins, they have a good shot at the tile.
Rossi needs to retire lol.
Yep. I love the way Rins and Mir ride. They're beautiful to watch.

I've always been a Rossi fan, but you're right. He's embarrassing himself.

·
Registered
369 Posts
ZZZ ...FYI Head shake and tank slappers are not from rider error. Its from the steering head flexing off center line of frame or very bad steering head bearings . When i was young and poor i owned many 200$ worn out bikes with shot steering head bearings lol

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
ZZZ ...FYI Head shake and tank slappers are not from rider error. Its from the steering head flexing off center line of frame or very bad steering head bearings . When i was young and poor i owned many 200$ worn out bikes with shot steering head bearings lol
ANY mass can be excited to it's natural frequency, i.e. headshake. If a rider comes over a crest with his front wheel slightly canted and it touches down, it's gonna shake for a cycle or 2. I watched other bikes do it. It would be Honda's fault if it didn't stop...but it did. And I know on the MotoGP feed I watch, I didn't see the announcers bash on the Honda. You're watching a completely difference source, so, I can't vouch for what they're saying. Physics... ;)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Suzuki out foxed everyone.When asked if they where going to try and match the ducati and honda horsepower Suzuki said they would only make as much horsepower as the chassis can handle. Thats why they have the best handling bike on the grid.

·
Registered
863 Posts
If Marc rides like he used to this season (finding the limit in FP by crashing, then dialing it back a smidge) he could easily injure that humerus again and be out for good.
He was going pretty hard in the first few laps of the last race though!

·
Registered
243 Posts
If Marc rides like he used to this season (finding the limit in FP by crashing, then dialing it back a smidge) he could easily injure that humerus again and be out for good.
He was going pretty hard in the first few laps of the last race though!
This is what i was talking about lol, he started off very aggressive, it was cool to see but in the back of MY mind at least was "oh jeez please don't crash", then when he ran wide on that one corner, I think he dialed it back just a smidge to stay on the track, but then again I could be wrong, you guys have watched motorcycle racing a longer than I have (I can tell by the conversations I've seen here lol) so you guys can gauge it better than I can lol! Still, it was great seeing MM back.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Talking about Suzuki, its ironic that back in the late 80s early 90s when Schwantz was there number 1 rider. Suzuki was the sweet handling bike but it lacked power . I remeber one race Schwantz/Suzuki RGV500 was 12mph down through the traps.

ZZZ when you are talking about going over crest a bit off line are you talking about twhen the front wheel is correcting itself and going back to center line/strait line? I agree thats not head shake thats just the front wheel trying to correct itself going left 1 inch/right 1 inch (roughly)

When i say head shake i am talking about when there is too much flex and the front wheel is going 3-5 inches left /3-5 inches right. You can either do nothing and ride it out (hoping not to crash lol) Or hit the rear brake only =hard. That happened to Marquez lap 1 or 2 . He was about to pass someone , the bars almost ripped from his grip then you see him hit rear brake hard and go backward quickly lol.

Vinales fans there is still hope he might find consistency. I ran into a guy i know from a group ride who is a mechanical engineer who designed motorcycle chassis when young and now bicycles was very impressed how Yamaha fixed there 2019 handling problems and are now doing well. He said Yamaha in 2019 the engine was over powering the chassis. Yamaha then got chassis to withstand the power but barely making rider preferences hard to dial in. Quarterarro having a european long arcing riding style like Jorge is easier to dial in than Vinales/Mordibelli more squaring off corner style. He thinks in time Yamaha will sort out Vinales/Mordibelli personal fine tuning/set up and both will be consistent from race to race . Sorry he didnt comment on Rossi . He did talk about a new kid in moto3 Acosta? he said kid is great prospect . I have only seen him ride on You Tube highlights. Cant judge seeing kid ride last 3 corners of race lol

·
Registered
369 Posts
Col 1krr I am in total agreement about MR Honda . He was the passion of the company . Mr Honda would spend 1 to 2 hours every day at HRC. He would personally attend the big important 500cc gran prix races go to dinner with riders ect ect . Money was no object when it came to having the best race bikes. You wouldnt hear me say.. the Honda RCV213 is a crap handler if Mr Honda was alive LOL Because Mr Honda would make sure it was a sweet handling bike like the Suzuki . Mr Honda oversaw the developement of the CBR900RR but died in 1991 before it was introduced in 1992. Even Hondas streetbikes lost the wow factor . I was going to uy the RCV213V street version but when the standard model had 100hp for 80,000$ and the performance kit cost another 40,000 and 180hp and could be beat by other manufacturers 15,000-20,000$ production line bikes my checkbook went back into my pocket

PS .. I dont follow F1 closely ( i like the tech more than the races) but was shocked when you said Honda was pulling out of F1. I thought they where doing very well?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Benny i am not arguing , i was actually saing tp ZZZ i agreed with him and he was correct . I misconstrude the situation ZZZ was reffering to when he was talking about rider coming over a crest .

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
322 Posts
PS .. I dont follow F1 closely ( i like the tech more than the races) but was shocked when you said Honda was pulling out of F1. I thought they where doing very well?
They are doing very well. They manufacture the engines for Red Bull who has their main driver, Verstappen (spelling?), behind Hamilton by one point. They lead in the manufacturer's category. Unfortunately, Honda announced last year they were pulling out, at the end of the 2021 season, to concentrate on developing electric cars. If that is not a head scratcher, I don't know what is. Red Bull has decided to take over the design and manufacturing of the engines going forward.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
Let’s see if MM93 wins in Jerez. I think he just might with the extra motivation for his home race. One of the Yamaha boys in top-3. What are your top-3 predictions?

·
8,227 Posts
Too early to tell, a couple more races will show who are the most consentient riders. Yama, Honda, Suz all have a shot at the title.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I honestly think MM will finish in the same position maybe one or two higher in Jerez. He's still dealing with fatigue in his arm. The doctors even said to be weary of putting too much stress on his bone right now, it's still not 100% strength and integrity wise. Maybe his condition will significantly improve by then? If it does, i expect a top 5 maybe top 3 finish but I think his rehab and conditioning is still gonna limit him. I hope I'm wrong, I wish to see a full strength Marquez racing but as a fan of racing in general, I'd hate to see a career cut short due to injury and want him to be around for a while lol.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Great idea Gmen.Top 3 any why you think each rider places . IronicallyI just read Ducati has never won at Jerez. It has abrasive tarmac slow corners and short straits so it all about acceleration which punishes tires especially bikes with big power. SO 1. Joan Mir=Suzuki is best handling bike in MotoGP and is kind to its tires . 2. Pecco Bagnia on his raw speed/skill. When he is on he is 2nd fastest rider behind Marquez.. Lets not forget if not for yellow flag he would have had pole AND shattered Portugese Circut lap record and its a riders /bike handling track.
Ducati Power will most likely Shred rear tire and he will end up 6th but have to have 1 risky pick lol
3. Fabio Quartararro I want to see him string more fast laps together and see a couple of flag to flag race wins before icalling him an alien. He has won 2 races in a row before and then placed 15th ect. MARQUEZ?? I see him finishing 7th-8th roughly the same as last race . The Hondas handling problems are holding him back. its seems to have gotten worse not better this year Or the other manufactures got better and the honda has stayed same.

BTW for fun take a look at Marquez on the 2013/2014 Honda RCV213 when it was good handler and horsepower wasnt over taxing chassis ITS AMAZING the kid defied the laws of physics. I loved when say he was making a tight left , the rear tire would be an inch/2 inches off ground and he would float the bike around(like a kid on a skate board) to square off corner at 80-100mph yet it looked in slow motion

241 - 260 of 410 Posts