BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

181 - 200 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
ZZZ a MotoGP bike can change engine location and the engine can be rotated. Rossi is a multi time champion and Ducati listened to him and like marquez the bike got worse. Let race engineers do there jobs . The rider is just there to give input to what the bike is doing ,the engineers job is to fix any chassis problems .

Bottom line is the honda is the worst handling bike in MotoGP and has been for years . Marquez is so good he won titles despite of the RCV213 crap handling .
I just hope he can still ride around the handling problems without crashing . The horsepower race created big problems for honda , problems for yamaha and KTM and suzuki stated... We are not going into the horsepower contest, we will not putmore Horsepower into the chassis than it can handle ... Which worked out well for them.
There are shims and inserts to move the engine a LITTLE. I'm talking having built a bike around a big change in location, something that can't be changed by a few mm. Things that change the location by centimeters, change the swingarm length and pivot height by centimeters. Those are things set at the start of the season, especially now with the chassis freeze.

·
Registered
300 Posts
ZZZ if your into cars, bikes and race engineering there is a magazine from the UK.. Race Engine Technology... phenominal ,they get more tech info from the factories than anyone else cost is 100$ When honda wouldnt even reveal the angle of the v4 honda gave RET the blueprint of the entire engine . I think its because RET gives an award for most advanced tech engine every year. Must be a bragging rights deal between manufacturers

ZZZ i think i read 7cm forward/backwards and 5? degrees rotation which is a decent amount

Its the huge horsepower increases. Never before has HP increased so quickly year to year

FBTO...2021 has a engine and chassis freeze. The FIM allowed 1 aero change but Honda didnt change aero so its basically the same bike as the 2020 model

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
ZZZ i think i read 7cm forward/backwards and 5? degrees rotation which is a decent amount

Its the huge horsepower increases. Never before has HP increased so quickly year to year

FBTO...2021 has a engine and chassis freeze. The FIM allowed 1 aero change but Honda didnt change aero so its basically the same bike as the 2020 model
7cm and 5deg? That sounds far too huge of adjustability without affecting everything else. All the exhaust mounts and plumbing would be WAY off, as would intake and electrical. 7MM I can see, even +/-7MM (14MM total), but 7CM just from shims and plates? I'd say not bloody likely, but if you have a source for this large a movement, I'd sure love to see it. I think the plate for the swingarm in my '15 is a 10MM difference (2 position) if I remember?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I am moving to florida or at least being a snow bunny . So last week i threw all my old magazines away so i am going off memory ...ZZZ i remember thinking the same thing? THats ALOT of work just going forward/backward even more so with rotation. But then again in 2013 Honda could make parts before the season starts for all lengths and angles needed. Back then there was no engine limits or the limit was very high they could use 20+ engines a year.
I was set to buy the Honda RCV213V-S road bike but when it was priced at 80,000 PLUS 40,000 for the performance package i passed....Also even with performance package it was down on power to an OEM superbike.

ZZZ i even threw away my Motocourse books which i had from 1983 to 2018 . I also the threw away a Sportbike magazine which had an article written by Casey Stoner describing riding a NSR 500 with Wayne Gardner and Freddie Spencer . Stoner was amazed how fast Spencer was as his lap times where 1+ seconds faster. He said to Gardner ...who is that guy? I cant keep up with him . Gardner said ..dont feel bad i cant catch him either , its Freddie Spencer .Honda almost signed him in his 40s but found out he was back to drinking. Spencer/Marquez/Roberts Sr have the same unique style so if he stays healthy he could win 10 more titles.
FYI Roberts sr rode in select races like the trans atlantic races daytona 200 ect after he retired and beat all the 90s riders like doohan, Schwants lawson Rainey Gardner and was also roughly 1+seconds faster . Roberts caught was banned from riding the yamaha when he was manager of the dream team of Rainey/lawson because he was 1.3 seconds faster than both while trying to have Rainey/lawson use his riding style . Roberts SR retired way too early.

FBTO you are correct . THe Honda stays the same crap handling bike while the competition gets better and better, so Maquez job gets harder and harder. I HOPE after this injury Marquez puts his foot down and demands a better handling bike. Problem is he would try to win if the Honda had square wheels .
Marquez has his work cut out for him this year.

·
Registered
368 Posts
A couple of good Mat Oxley articles from Motorsport. One dealing with tires and another a quickie about Zarco.

·
8,193 Posts
$hit got real. MM at 80% is still faster than everyone.

Reactions: SRod321

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
$hit got real. MM at 80% is still faster than everyone.
For example, 2019 Argentina, Marques winning average speed 172.7 kmh, second Rossi 172.0 kmh. Diff 2.7 kmh = 1,56 %, thats 9.816 seconds at the finish line.

So I would say 80% is not enough...

·
8,193 Posts
So I would say 80% is not enough...
You're forgetting the fact he has been training his ass off, he is hungry for another title. How many times did MM start from the back of the grid & made his way to top 3? If he does not crash, he will at least be on the podium in the first few races. Once his recovery is better mid to late season, he has a high chance of claiming the title.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
You're forgetting the fact he has been training his ass off, he is hungry for another title. How many times did MM start from the back of the grid & made his way to top 3? If he does not crash, he will at least be on the podium in the first few races. Once his recovery is better mid to late season, he has a high chance of claiming the title.
Still, 80% is not enough...

·
8,193 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
We will see. Too bad this forum does not allow bidding lol.
Marques simply does not care about the injuries, or the fact he may die while racing. Little whiny b1tches of the internet do not understand that, because they have delusion that Marques is mentally like them.

And also, since 2010 Marques has been mentally on another level when compaired to any other motogp rider. That is the only reason why he is winning championships. For example Vinales and Quartararo could win too, but their mental ability is a roller coaster.

The only thing which might momentarily slow Marques down, is if there is some nerve damage in the arm.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Marquez passed physicals according to crash.com hope he just rides to bikes capability now instead of riding so hard to make up handling issues . Thats what got him hurt last time.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Great to see Dovi testing the Aprilia. Too much talent to waste; he can still be a top-5 rider.
I agree wholeheartedly. Did you read his comments after the test ride? While he was being very cagey, I think he was impressed with the bike's progress. In the same article (I don't remember where I read it) he went on to say that he wouldn't be substituting for Savadori. If he takes the ride it looks like it's next year unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
I agree wholeheartedly. Did you read his comments after the test ride? While he was being very cagey, I think he was impressed with the bike's progress. In the same article (I don't remember where I read it) he went on to say that he wouldn't be substituting for Savadori. If he takes the ride it looks like it's next year unfortunately.
Oh I didn’t know that he might not have a seat in 2021. Alex Marquez while improving, isn’t doing great. There could be room for Dovi in the 2021 lineup if someone were to get unexpectedly fired for under-performance.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Oh I didn’t know that he might not have a seat in 2021. Alex Marquez while improving, isn’t doing great. There could be room for Dovi in the 2021 lineup if someone were to get unexpectedly fired for under-performance.
I'd like to see Dovi back at Honda with a fire under his @$$ and beat MM to the title. He came close to beating him when he was on the Ducati a couple times.

181 - 200 of 251 Posts