BMW S1000RR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I placed my reservation in March, so I was definitely excited to pick it up a few weeks back. Been riding it while waiting for the oil cooler/hoses to come in.

I hadn't heard about the front forks or ignition coil stuff, but have been paying attention to the carbon wheels, oil cooler/hoses, something about the crankcase, engine ticking (which mine doesn't sound bad at all). There definitely seems to be more issues with this bike when compared to other model's issues (i.e. V4) and I can't imagine that this doesn't haunt BMW for the next 20 years of first releases.

My impressions of the bike: I'm still in break-in so under 9k RPM, but so far it feels like an amazing bike with the exception of the catastrophic emissions dip. That dip eliminates any fun the bike would be to ride on the street, and if I wasn't flashing or tuning the bike I would have returned hoping for a type of lemon law or something. I would definitely recommend to anyone that would flash/tune it, but if who I'm talking to intends to enjoy it on the street in its stock form, I would recommend even a 600 over it. Riding it today, it feels like 6th gear pulls harder than 2nd when at ~7k rpm. As bad as everyone's making it sound, it's worse. FWIW, I came from a bone stock 2016 s1000rr mainly riding street with a couple COTA days. By the way, anyone else in the DFW area? Preferably South of the Metroplex - I'm in Mansfield.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I'm having a whinge hear. But you guys can understand. It's annoying when you have waited so long and have been told a date when you can pick it up. Then to have a recall change the delivery time. Then to have parts availability make you wait even longer. The dates just keep getting longer and longer. Its like if someone said to you. You can have your bike in 6 months. I don't mind waiting. But when you arrive at the 6 month mark they then tell you its another 1 or 2 months. That is the sort of stuff that sh1ts me big time. I actually sold my 2016 early in preparation for my new one. Had I have known this sh1t was going to happen I would have held on to it. People make financial decisions based around when they get their bike. It can stuff people up a lot. It is what it is and complaining doesn't help. But I just reached a certain point where I needed to vent.
Feel ya, but for a different reason. I've been a BMW rider for over 11 years. I tactfully decided to buy a '15 RR sight unseen because of the lineage and that I was told it was going to replace the HP4C (minus HP accessories and M4 brakes) and be better. "Knowing" how BMW did things, I took the risk on a vigorously updated model and man, were my expectations exceeded! Great bike with zero issues other than a pinched fuel tank vent hose found at delivery. I looked hard at the '20, but was so happy with my '15, I decided against changing. But forget about the '20 RR for a minute, I'm more troubled by the apparent state of things with BMW. Look at how many stop sales there are across model ranges in the US (something like 4-5?). My dealer, who has been in business for a long time, says he's never seen it this bad. I know similar things have happened in the past, but aren't manufacturers supposed to be getting better, not worse, with production quality and delivery timetables. Especially a company as skilled, funded and historied as BMW. At this point, if I don't switch to another manufacturer (Honda CBR1000RR V4:grin2:) I'll ride my '15 until I can't, then put it in my bar room!

·
Registered
146 Posts
@RRob Spot on mate. I completely agree with you. Its not the fact that there are delays or recalls. They are a given. Its the rate at which they are increasing that is becoming the problem.

BMW people said they were doing this project for TEN YEARS.
They are a good manufacturer but if in 10 years of designing and you fail on calculating the right oil radiator for the bike, I agree with you, it is a cause of slight concern.

Now their feat is more on the chasis and engine clearly underestimating other areas and here we are.

Bike will be on the top of comparisons for years as the leap they gave is significant. And the price which is quite good compared to the competition it is good however now we see what was missing.

Would you have paid more money and get better quality? Is it that bad?

The Pani V4 had so far double digit recalls I have a friend with one and I can tell the list.

Us we’re not yet there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
The Pani V4 had so far double digit recalls I have a friend with one and I can tell the list.
There have been six recalls for the 2018 Panigale, including tightening the timing chain tensioner bolt, and a bad batch of rear brake pads from a supplier where the the friction material on the rear brake pad may detach from the backing plate. No delivery delays. See, click.

Interestingly, there was an oil cooler issue where the oil cooler output port may crack, causing an oil leak. What is it with oil coolers?

·
Registered
261 Posts
There have been six recalls for the 2018 Panigale, including tightening the timing chain tensioner bolt, and a bad batch of rear brake pads from a supplier where the the friction material on the rear brake pad may detach from the backing plate. No delivery delays. See, click.

Interestingly, there was an oil cooler issue where the oil cooler output port may crack, causing an oil leak. What is it with oil coolers?
Apparently BMW is waiting on the manufacture of a supply of corrected oil coolers before issuing the recall (for obvious reasons). They also appear to be holding bikes about to be sold to install those replacement oil coolers rather than to bring them immediately back in for the recall. I also imagine that in order of decreasing cost to fix, they can do it at the factory, at the large shipping receiving center in the US, at the dealer before sale, and a post-sale recall. The final one is also most embarrassing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The recall states there is a problem with the oil hose that could result in cracking. Yet the recall is to replace the entire oil cooler assembly. Something does not seem right, why not just replace the hose??

·
Registered
93 Posts
The recall states there is a problem with the oil hose that could result in cracking. Yet the recall is to replace the entire oil cooler assembly. Something does not seem right, why not just replace the hose??
likely had to do with logistics, and they had a shelf cooler, that fit the bill, and the lines to go with it

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think there are two separate recalls. The first, for the hose, only applies to very early units (build up through March), hardly any of which made it to the US. The second is for the full cooler, and that applies to everything delivered to the US.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Initially was the hose and its attachment later on it became apparent that was not the root cause then the oil cooler recall came.

·
Registered
286 Posts
"This is because the overlay distance between the hose and the pipe, in combination with the pipe geometry, is too large. As a result, when the hose is press-fit onto the pipe, sufficient tolerance is not available to allow the hose to expand. This could lead to cracks in the hose which, over time, could allow the hose to leak."

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall/2020-bmw-s1000rr-oil-leak-recall/

The oil cooler assembly apparently includes the hoses, which makes sense from a safety/do it right perspective.

·
Registered
87 Posts
@RRob Spot on mate. I completely agree with you. Its not the fact that there are delays or recalls. They are a given. Its the rate at which they are increasing that is becoming the problem.

BMW people said they were doing this project for TEN YEARS.
They are a good manufacturer but if in 10 years of designing and you fail on calculating the right oil radiator for the bike, I agree with you, it is a cause of slight concern.

Now their feat is more on the chasis and engine clearly underestimating other areas and here we are.

Bike will be on the top of comparisons for years as the leap they gave is significant. And the price which is quite good compared to the competition it is good however now we see what was missing.

Would you have paid more money and get better quality? Is it that bad?

Us we’re not yet there

I would be extremely surprised if our 2020 rr is made for another 3yrs. Being a motorhead ICE engines are on there way out. Emissions, manufacture commitments, and government mandates will kill our high hp bikes.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Thanks to all who have posted and commented here - I'm in Melbourne, Australia, and if I hadn't read about the recall on this forum I wouldn't have known.

BMW registered the recall with Product Safety Australia on October 13th, but I have never received any notice.

After reading this post today, I called the dealer and booked the bike in within the next 10 days which is fine, but - since the 13th October I've done a track day at Phillip Island and been on multiple rides out. Am I risking my safety, is it that big a problem - I'm not sure, but I sure do like to be informed before I get on the bike and ride it.

I don't have any issue with new products having defects (I work in IT!) but when the defect can potentially affect my safety I expect to be told immediately.

I actually don't care about the software issues, or other little defects on the bike, it's a fantastic weapon and much better than any of the competition in my opinion. But if you've got something wrong that could impact safety, you've got to get onto that and let your customers know - it just isn't good enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BMW registered the recall with Product Safety Australia on October 13th, but I have never received any notice.
I am from Brisbane and this is the 3rd new RR I've purchased (I also work in IT and get the whole defects thing, love the bike, lucky we got the euro spec so less tuning issues), not once have I ever received notice from the dealership and I've had numerous defects fixed in that time :D I just check the website for the first few weeks and then this forum is a great source of info.

I'm still riding mine at the moment under guidance from the dealership and I just check for any traces of oil occasionally.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am at odds if I should ride or not just commuting slow speeds etc thing it’s doable just waiting for a part for my license plate light. Then I might go and as you check constantly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Talk to the USA BMW to track my bike. Asked if my bike is on the recall list, they told me it wasnt... Wonder if its true? Prod. Date is Oct 13th.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 84 Posts