BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 BMW S1000-RR Motorsport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some pit Bull stands on order but need to change my tires and they have not arrived yet at the shop. So I borrowed my mates Trackside stand for the rear and front triple tree. Looks like there is a plastic fairing I need to remove each time I use that? What is the purpose of that fairing?

I read that the older HP4 bikes had brake lines that get in the way there. Is that still the case for the 2020 and later models? Mine is a 2020.

Gonna try in the next day or so to remove the wheels and then change the tires. Should be fun as it will be my first time :). Got the tools and need to learn how to use them. I have found some OK videos on wheel removal and install, but any links to good content for this is appreciated.

Also anything to worry about with the carbon wheels I got on this bike? I have the No-Mar Classic HD tire changer and just got it built tonight so should be easy enough to avoid marring up the rims. Anyone have any experience with that and the Carbon wheels?

My bike also has some kind of front wheel sliders the previous owner installed so need to work out how those come out so I can get it the normal 24mm hex spindle. Have not tried yet but looks like I just unscrew that and it reveals the normal spindle? Pic attached.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The other question I have is why we always need to remove the brake calipers? Just learning to wrench on my motorcycle but been building my own bicycles for years but the wheels always come off without removing any calipers. Just curious why that is the case for motorcycles? Is that just a street bike thing or do they do that every time they remove a front wheel on a MotoGP bike?

My primary use for this bike is to run it on the track :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I pull rear wheels off I usually sit on the ground behind the bike, and put one foot under the tire to lift it a little while getting the axle out. Just wiggle up and down.

Use rope or bungee cords to hang your calipers from your bars while you get the front off and on so they're not banging into everything.
Good to know, thanks! Once I get it done the first time it should be a whole lot easier the next time around.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Successfully got them changed (major hassle on the rear tire - newbie mistakes but got it done). Good to know on the speed sensor. I did see it there and hopefully it's all still working now that it is back in place. I have not taken a test ride on it yet and won't get to do that till later next week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts