BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd share - was riding home and the below msg came on. Bike sounded like a Ducati twin (even started acting like one haha) power loss, fuel smell and misfiring. No fun there.

Took it to the dealer and they replaced a faulty ignition coil under warranty. They tried to replace all 4 under warranty but BMW rejected that claim.

I have a full Akra system FYI - thankfully I did the install and fuel re-learn at the dealer so they could not reject my warranty claim. A remapped ECU would've gotten me in trouble according to them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
These things are terrible with dropping coils. I was on the highway with no shoulder when my bike stared running on 3 cylinders. It eventually got so bad it shut off and wouldn't start. Had to call my buddy and come get me with a trailer. I have a stage 2 flash plus I don't want the dealer taking 5 days to diagnose the problem so I did it myself, brought them their crappy coil and they gave me a new one. Thing is, what happens when it's out of warranty? The coils are around $230 lol. To go out under 2k miles is crazy. I know it's going to leave me walking again, just a matter of time.

·
Vendor
3,488 Posts
These things are terrible with dropping coils. I was on the highway with no shoulder when my bike stared running on 3 cylinders. It eventually got so bad it shut off and wouldn't start. Had to call my buddy and come get me with a trailer. I have a stage 2 flash plus I don't want the dealer taking 5 days to diagnose the problem so I did it myself, brought them their crappy coil and they gave me a new one. Thing is, what happens when it's out of warranty? The coils are around $230 lol. To go out under 2k miles is crazy. I know it's going to leave me walking again, just a matter of time.
I am not sure how to look at this coil issue myself. Having 3 K67's has yielded different results.

My first I got on release date June 6th 2019. It only went 3500 miles and it dropped number 3. Dealer had no clue how to fix at the time so I did it myself also. Then it dropped number 1 only 1000 miles later at 4500. I purchased 4 new coils and today, I have 10500 on that one and never another issue.

Mule 1 has only 900 miles and no issues.

Mule 2 has 1600 miles and no issues.

Its the 3500 mile range it seems like alot of people had the coil failure. If you make the 5000 miles mark, My guess is you will not have the issue. Just have not read of many having the issue past 5K miles.

There must be over 35 cases posted just here on this forum of the coils issues. ECU coding has nothing to do with it as it even happens on bone stock bikes with zero mod's.

I keep 8 coils in stock just in case myself or any of my local friends have this issue on saturdays or sundays when riding would be most desired and you have a broken down K67 just equals bad bad.

Reactions: A B

·
Registered
642 Posts
My first I got on release date June 6th 2019. It only went 3500 miles and it dropped number 3. Dealer had no clue how to fix at the time so I did it myself also. Then it dropped number 1 only 1000 miles later at 4500. I purchased 4 new coils and today, I have 10500 on that one and never another issue.
Do you mind sharing how you would figure out which coil is bad while out on a ride? Just remove a plug and coil, reattach the plug to the coil, and then see if spark will jump to ground (and move to the next one until you find a dead coil)? I guess one could still spark but be weak and cause rough running?

·
Vendor
3,488 Posts
Do you mind sharing how you would figure out which coil is bad while out on a ride? Just remove a plug and coil, reattach the plug to the coil, and then see if spark will jump to ground (and move to the next one until you find a dead coil)? I guess one could still spark but be weak and cause rough running?
A much better way to figure out what cylinder is dead is to use a IR temp gun and just shoot the tubes at the head and see which one is the coldest. #3 is very common on this issue so I would have used the old lick my fingers and touch the tubes 'quickly' method if I had no IR temp gun. Been there done that many a times in my life.

·
Registered
642 Posts
A much better way to figure out what cylinder is dead is to use a IR temp gun and just shoot the tubes at the head and see which one is the coldest. #3 is very common on this issue so I would have used the old lick my fingers and touch the tubes 'quickly' method if I had no IR temp gun. Been there done that many a times in my life.
Thanks very much - I never would have thought of that. If it comes up, I'll trick one of my dumb friends into touching the headers in sequence!

I guess if a coil is not entirely dead and causing rough running it would be harder to identify, but the one coil failure I experienced clearly was dead -- felt like I was suddenly on a 600.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts