BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I wanted to share an issue I encountered with my 20 s1000rr, After a track weekend I noticed the right side of the engine covered significantly with oil. It took me a bit to find the source but I was able to narrow it down to the cam tensioner bolt. Searching around I found a member in the s1000rr UK site experienced the same issue.
‘Currently my bike is at the dealer to replace the .69 cent washer on the tensioner bolt, apparently is a bit involved to replace it.
And just when I though that was the only issue the dealer informed of a recall with the oil cooler pump where they need to drop the oil pan take care of the recall. This came as a surprise to me since I never received a letter or heard anything about it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Might as well tell them to replace the front brake calipers since the bike is in there. if they say no, pressure them. I think it's not the mater of if, but when they leak. there is a recall on that too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might as well tell them to replace the front brake calipers since the bike is in there. if they say no, pressure them. I think it's not the mater of if, but when they leak. there is a recall on that too.
Thanks for the tip, they mentioned the calipers as well. I actually replaced my calipers over to Brembo to get better feel, I was not happy with the Hayes.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Welcome to the club mate. This happened to me at Red Bull Ring and took a while to figure out. Initial I thought I overfilled the oil.

I replaced the crush washer, altho the original was fine. It has never leaked since, but I think the problem was with a loose bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the club mate. This happened to me at Red Bull Ring and took a while to figure out. Initial I thought I overfilled the oil.

I replaced the crush washer, altho the original was fine. It has never leaked since, but I think the problem was with a loose bolt.
Initially I thought it was the head gasket myself, let's see what happens I should get the bike back in a couple of days. The true test will be Barber Motorsports Park in a week.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thanks very much for posting this. Mine was at about 1/2 of the torque spec.

MB308 - Barber 3 day? See you there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got the bike back. Here's a pic of the original crush washer they remove showing the reason for the leak, I assume it was nicked doing fabrication and never caught during assembly. Also explains why re-torquing the bolt didn't yield positive results. Anyway I'm hoping they inspected the new washer before installing it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
That's frustrating. I hate it when a 50 cent crush washer or O-ring ruins a ride or track day. Glad you got it sorted out in time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
So I had what looks like the same thing happen to me on track last Saturday. Oil all over the side of the engine and my boot, but luckily not on the rear tyre. Is it something that I should try to re-tighten by myself, or best to do a dealer visit? Don't have a torque spanner that fits so thinking I should go to the dealer, but I guess its not something I can make a warranty claim on.

·
Registered
404 Posts
How careful do you have to be when replacing the washer? i.e. any chance that the cam chain could jump when the cam tensioner is taken out?

·
Registered
404 Posts
In case anyone was holding their breath to hear the resolution :)
Changed out the washer on the cam tensioner, and found that the original was defective, similar to the OP. If you look close in the pic you can see the defect on the washer close to the pen mark.
Note that there is not enough space for a torque wrench so just tightening by hand is the solution.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Holy crap! Isn't that the same stuff 'Axe had pumped into his veins? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
In case anyone was holding their breath to hear the resolution :)
Changed out the washer on the cam tensioner, and found that the original was defective, similar to the OP. If you look close in the pic you can see the defect on the washer close to the pen mark.
Note that there is not enough space for a torque wrench so just tightening by hand is the solution.

View attachment 216500
Might be able to put a "crows foot" open end extension on a torque wrench and use the appropriate conversion factor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts