BMW S1000RR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

· Premium Member
152 Posts
I just realized this the other day... On most vehicles, when the headlights come on, the DRLs dim a certain percentage so as not to create glare. When the DRL option is enabled, it doesn't seem as if the DRL go to a "full brightness" when the headlights turn off. There must be another setting that needs to be changed in order to get that

if (headLight == off) {
drlBrightness = 100;
} else {
drlBrighness = 70;
}

I know that the coding isn't Java-like, that's pretty much what I'm looking for.

Reactions: bennymx

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I just realized this the other day... On most vehicles, when the headlights come on, the DRLs dim a certain percentage so as not to create glare. When the DRL option is enabled, it doesn't seem as if the DRL go to a "full brightness" when the headlights turn off. There must be another setting that needs to be changed in order to get that

if (headLight == off) {
drlBrightness = 100;
} else {
drlBrighness = 70;
}

I know that the coding isn't Java-like, that's pretty much what I'm looking for.
On e9x platforms, it's the PWM values that is coded to change DRL brightness, or auto dimming when headlights are active. I have not messed with F vehicles and I never noticed the DRL dimming when my headlights are on. Not sure if it's because I have LED's headlights or not. But if you have esys and FDL coding capability, then it's something to explore.

· Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
9,431 Posts
Can you tell what is need to do this?
1. Laptop or PC with Windows 10
2. ICOM Next (I think an ENET cable can be used but I used a ICOM Next)
3. Ethernet cable
4. Power supply unit
5. E-Sys
6. PsdZ data pack. Lite or Full. Or if you have ISTA then just link the psdz folder to the same one as ISTA.

· Registered
453 Posts
3. Ethernet cable
4. Power supply unit
5. E-Sys
6. PsdZ data pack. Lite or Full. Or if you have ISTA then just link the psdz folder to the same one as ISTA.
Thanks for posting this. I am going to try and validate if ENET does indeed work. I think @WingZeroX5 had mentioned that it won't because the bike does not have a GW capable of ENET. I don't remember very clearly and might be mistaken though.

What is a good reliable place to get the PsdZ Lite pack/E-Sys/ISTA? Last time I was upgrading ECUs on my 330i, I got it from some forum sticky (download was from Mega, iirc.)

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for posting this. I am going to try and validate if ENET does indeed work. I think @WingZeroX5 had mentioned that it won't because the bike does not have a GW capable of ENET. I don't remember very clearly and might be mistaken though.

What is a good reliable place to get the PsdZ Lite pack/E-Sys/ISTA? Last time I was upgrading ECUs on my 330i, I got it from some forum sticky (download was from Mega, iirc.)
Mm, I never said ENET won't work, I said it might. But I never tried because I have the ICOM. You can certainly use an enet cable and give it a go.

· Registered
298 Posts
3. Ethernet cable
4. Power supply unit
5. E-Sys
I see the ICOM Next A is about 300 on ebay with various cables. What's the cost on on the E-Sys software and PsdZ data pack?

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I see the ICOM Next A is about 300 on ebay with various cables. What's the cost on on the E-Sys software and PsdZ data pack?
A genuine ICOM is $600+, comes with two cables: Yellow 15 ft (iirc) ethernet and the OBDII.

A word about the ICOM's:
Guaranteed that's a fake/clone on ebay...but...I can't say they don't work. If you're looking to only do diagnostics, like to read codes, reset stuff..etc, then I suppose clones are acceptable. If you're thinking about touching any programming at all, no matter how small it is, do yourself a favor and get a genuine one. If you have a bike that has the round connector, you also need the ICOM D, which is about $300

Esys and psdz's are on the web. Any version of Esys will probably work since this is FA coding. Or, get 3.28 if you need or want to do FDL

· Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
9,431 Posts
I purchased a Chinese ICOM Next clone. It was dead on arrival. Was constantly dropping connection. I sent it back and got a refund then ordered the genuine one. Definetly worth it. The Chinese ones are well known for over heating issues. Not what you want when programming. There are different Chinese versions. They all look like the ICOM Next but have different PCB's inside with different components. The crap ones have no heatsink or fan and over heat quickly. Some of them have been upgraded with a fan and heatsink but still aren't the real deal. You can get lucky and have one work for a while. But in the end they break.

I bought a aftermarket 10 pin cable ICOM D cable. Not as much of an issue with a cable.

Esys and PsdZ data packs are available on forums. Mostly you will only need the "Lite" version. I have ISTA so I just linked the Esys PsdZ folder to my ISTA PsdZ folder. No point doubling up.

Make sure to have a good power supply as well. I went over the top and got a 70Amp rated one.

· Registered
11 Posts
I am not going to pretend i know what i am talking about lol. I have some experience in coding with android os but my question is unrelated to coding necessarily. Does this suggested setup allow you to up update to bmw latest firmware updates? I currently have gs-911 and that doesnt do half the stuff that i see on this thread. Pretty cool but its a lot of money to turn daytime running lamps on. Any other benefits?

21 - 40 of 75 Posts