BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took me about a few days to figure out but here it is. That German bloke didn't want to share so I had to do a little work. @bennymx :D

I found out that the option code for BMW Motorrad is: X202A Daytime running lights
That was the easy part, the hardest part for me was to figure out why my ICOM was not connecting to the bike when using Esys. Turns out the ports all wrong, not 50160 or something when using Esys. I knew it had nothing to do with my ICOM since it was working with ISTA+ and iToolradar was grabbing it without any issues. So I had to grab the right one inside the ICOM's web interface. Not sure how it's like using ENET cable though, YMMV.

What I used:
-> E-Sys 3.34 w/PSdZdataLite v.4.23
-> ICOM Next A (ENET cable will probably work)
-> 40A power supply, set to 13.5V (optional, but I never program/code without it)

If you don't know how to use Esys, all you need to follow is the FA coding tutorial. Enter "202" without the quotes in the FA editor.

With the option code info, I can code the bike via FA coding. This meant I did not need the Esys launcher token that FDL coding requires. I probably could have just settled on v3.28 or any earlier version of Esys, but I was troubleshooting a connection problem.

Once the FA is written to the bike, you're going to need to code the following modules: KOMBI and BCO/BCL.
First time around, I just coded KOMBI and that didn't do anything except for the option to show. I remembered that in ISTA+, there's a GM (general module?) that ISTA says it's BCL. ECU functions for this shows that it has LED/DRL controls.

Once the modules are coded, you're good to go. Hope this helps!

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
Yes. I was going to try this myself but for now I have no bike or icom etc. Project for later. I am glad you posted this as I was wondering if a simple vehicle order code change and a coding would get it working. Seems it is that easy. Nice work.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yes. I was going to try this myself but for now I have no bike or icom etc. Project for later. I am glad you posted this as I was wondering if a simple vehicle order code change and a coding would get it working. Seems it is that easy. Nice work.
arent they always on down here?

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
arent they always on down here?
The option is not part of any country specific spec from what I understand. All the bikes we see have both the lights and rings on all the time with no option to seperate. It shows now that the kombi has the capability and all thats needed is for it to be activated via an option code. Nearly all other models have a DRL option. The RR recieves it via the dash settings because the left switch block has no room for a button.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
wonder why they didnt make it easier to turn on, seems silly to have to go through a coding exercise...

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
wonder why they didnt make it easier to turn on, seems silly to have to go through a coding exercise...
Well they didn't think the RR needed it. To me it makes no sense from 2 points. 1. The kombi is the same as the other models hence it has the capability. Why not just enable it. 2. Why not charge money for that extra option since some customers would want it. Or include it in a mandatory pack. Dealers don't offer it as a purchasable option and its not a retrofit.

·
Registered
189 Posts
No chance my dealer would “code” this for me.....
Bike looks good and is visible during the day as is but yes I agree why not to use DRL and reduce the heat emissions during daylight?

And yes the German forums are funny. When there is a post about “show your pics” at the end there is like 80% text and the rest pictures.
When it is about sharing.... only a few do
But to voice an opinion or a complain oh yeah tons of text. Seems most like themselves a lot and talk with the mirror frequently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
They are like that at BMW AG as well. They never say anything. It's quite annoying when trying to solve faults and they provide no information. It's like extracting blood from a stone. They need to be poked and prodded.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your post made my brain hurt lol. Anyone in Norther NJ do this for me? 🤣🤣🤣
Haha, that's coding for you. Plus, it's how I write my DIY's, as you can see in bimmerpost forums. There's a wealth of information on how to code with BMW vehicles, not so much with motorcycles. They work the same as long as you know what to look for.
If I was in the NYC area, I'd def help you out. Or, you can find a F series coder and have them do it for you.

·
Vendor
2,722 Posts
Its easy for me to appreciate the time you have put into this project. I was asked to try to come up with the SA and see what modules were involved to code this process. I have been occupied with some other future project release coming soon.

Since @WingZeroX5 is not looking to bench harness this project, I have the bench setup already for K67. If anyone wants this feature set installed to your Cluster, and the update for Intake Air Temp. I am offering to do this at this time.

As indicated by WingZeroX5 you will need to send me your ECU, Cluster, GM.. I can get around the ignition switch and key. I have cracked the key codes secret key algorithm now so I can use my ignition and key on your ECU.

PM for details and pricing. One day programming time, so ship on monday, in my hands on thursday, back out on Friday.

Reactions: A B and WingZeroX5

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all
I asked for Step by step
After you're add 202 in FA , and coding KOMBI .
Which suction under KOMBI file in FDL Editor ? & What's value before/after writing
Also What is value edit in another module BCO/BCL ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all
I asked for Step by step
After you're add 202 in FA , and coding KOMBI .
Which suction under KOMBI file in FDL Editor ? & What's value before/after writing
Also What is value edit in another module BCO/BCL ?
You need to follow how to VO/FA code using Esys

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I was able to successfully code the DRL function in the BCO and KOMBI modules. I see the option in the Settings Menu, and the symbol pops up when the bike starts up and is displayed in the bottom of the screen as previously mentioned. I'll have to wait till the morning to see if it functions properly, but it seems good to go!

Reactions: Pipes1021

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
I was able to successfully code the DRL function in the BCO and KOMBI modules. I see the option in the Settings Menu, and the symbol pops up when the bike starts up and is displayed in the bottom of the screen as previously mentioned. I'll have to wait till the morning to see if it functions properly, but it seems good to go!
You can actually just get your phone camera flash or a bright torch and shine it on the dash. The light sensor in the cluster will think it is day and the green DRL symbol should come on and the lights will switch off.

I'll be doing it when I get mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts