BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how accurate the websites are, but for Canada, it is showing 207 hp and USA, 204 Hp. Maybe the Canadian bikes won’t have the flat spot issue. As they shouldn’t cause we are not governed by the EPA

Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Let’s hope we don’t have this flat spot issue 3 more weeks of waiting ?

Not sure how accurate the websites are, but for Canada, it is showing 207 hp and USA, 204 Hp. Maybe the Canadian bikes won’t have the flat spot issue. As they shouldn’t cause we are not governed by the EPA

Time will tell.

·
Vendor
2,312 Posts

Time will tell.

I just got a phone call from a racer in Canada that just got his ///M..... so sorry to say it is restricted. He even has it on the dyno and looks worse than most USA graphs he as seen.

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got a phone call from a racer in Canada that just got his ///M..... so sorry to say it is restricted. He even has it on the dyno and looks worse than most USA graphs he as seen.

Well that sucks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you still supposed to receive your bike this week, Fbto? Myself, I have a hard time getting a straight answer from my dealership:serious:

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you still supposed to receive your bike this week, Fbto? Myself, I have a hard time getting a straight answer from my dealership:serious:

The word is Friday!

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
Only different to the US for paperwork, you'll get an owner's manual in French as well as English.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re-activating this thread.
Seriously considering the 2020 S1000RM but buying a restricted ECU is a deal-breaker.
Have Canadian dealers offered to supply a European ECU?
Any new development about the Canadian version and the notorious US flat spot?

·
Vendor
2,312 Posts
Afraid your deal is broken. Canada is no different on this restriction issue. Its North America and too many deals are cut between Mexico, USA, and Canada. Flash ECU options take care of it. PM me if you like.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. I'm not against flashing as I had some bikes Rexxer'd including my current Monster 1200R.
Unfortunately, I would never consider flashing an ECU right off the showroom floor.
Still looking from Canadian buyers and if any Canadian dealer solutions were offered.

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
No dealer will offer to make a bike noncompliant. Unfortunately you're on your own.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Re-activating this thread.
Seriously considering the 2020 S1000RM but buying a restricted ECU is a deal-breaker.
Have Canadian dealers offered to supply a European ECU?
Any new development about the Canadian version and the notorious US flat spot?
How dare you call it a "US flat spot" don't be a cutie pie...your a bad reporter...fake news!

·
Registered
17 Posts
No dealer will offer to make a bike noncompliant. Unfortunately you're on your own.
I could be wrong but that would be only non-compliant in the USA.
Canada, as far as I know, has no such regulations requiring a downgrade in the mid-range.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer will go to the costly lengths of making a different bike just for Canada. If that were the case they have to make a different version for every country with different regulations. So they just play is safe and cost efficient by having fewer versions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer will go to the costly lengths of making a different bike just for Canada. If that were the case they have to make a different version for every country with different regulations. So they just play is safe and cost efficient by having fewer versions.
You are correct. We don't need a different bike for Canada. Let's just import the same one that's sold in Europe.

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
Sorry DarR, but the bike is only compliant if it is "as delivered" regardless of the country. In Canada, that means the same as the US, so you will see the EPA compliance sticker somewhere on the bike, even though it means nothing to us.
Most, if not all, of the dealers in this area will not give you a safety compliance certificate if the cat is missing or if there are other obvious signs of modification. The OEMs are very careful with this, they don't want or need the Government adding more regulations to the industry. Others may not be as discerning in their inspection.
If you'd like to investigate importation, check the RIV government site, there's a list of allowable vehicles. And if you decide to pick the bike up at the factory and bring it to Canada, they will make sure you have a Canadian (North America) bike so that you won't get stopped at import.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know next to nothing about the BMW S1000RR which is why I'm here.
Notwithstanding, I do know a thing or two about Ducati. What's ironic are the regulation variances between CAN/US and Europe namely; the latter has stricter environmental constraints. Not sure about emissions but I do know the bikes are louder with different exhausts here than they are there. As a result, North American Ducati's have a slight power advantage over European models. Slight being the operative word.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts