BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I know that many guys are happy with the powerful delivery of these new bikes.

I was looking around online for any engine mods that i can do to make some extra ponies and torque. Head and cam packages?

Does it make more power? Does it effect torque?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I went down that path on my 2010, and there is a strong part of me that wishes i would've left the motor stock, which is where i may end up again anyway. there are a lot of very painful lessons I learned the hard way, and i'll be posting details at 10 year anniversary with s1k. soon, but a couple initial considerations i recommend:
1. research the supplier you're considering. i put my eggs in the wrong basket because i believed the pitch vs. asking around first, and now i have an ungodly amount of time/$ in an engine I really can't trust, and have come to terms that i will probably end up with a stock engine back in it at some point
2. research the cons along with the pros. some components may have very short maintenance intervals, so know what you're willing to tolerate in terms of how often you need to tear into the engine and match those req's with expectations of the components. there may also be gotchas like needing to run race fuel forever, cooling issues/street riding issues, mileage, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went down that path on my 2010, and there is a strong part of me that wishes i would've left the motor stock, which is where i may end up again anyway. there are a lot of very painful lessons I learned the hard way, and i'll be posting details at 10 year anniversary with s1k. soon, but a couple initial considerations i recommend:
1. research the supplier you're considering. i put my eggs in the wrong basket because i believed the pitch vs. asking around first, and now i have an ungodly amount of time/$ in an engine I really can't trust, and have come to terms that i will probably end up with a stock engine back in it at some point
2. research the cons along with the pros. some components may have very short maintenance intervals, so know what you're willing to tolerate in terms of how often you need to tear into the engine and match those req's with expectations of the components. there may also be gotchas like needing to run race fuel forever, cooling issues/street riding issues, mileage, etc.
Thanks for those words it seems like european bikes are not as easy as japanese bikes.
I always owned japanese bikes and theres not a lot of issues when it comes to head and cam work. Plus anyone can really work on them.
Im very interested to know what happened.
Looking forward to your post..

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Thanks for those words it seems like european bikes are not as easy as japanese bikes.
I always owned japanese bikes and theres not a lot of issues when it comes to head and cam work. Plus anyone can really work on them.
Im very interested to know what happened.
Looking forward to your post..
the s1K's aren't as easy to work on as an old Harley like i learned on, but i thought it was a straight forward build with the dvd service manual. like any project, it's the details that make or break it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hi
I know that many guys are happy with the powerful delivery of these new bikes.

I was looking around online for any engine mods that i can do to make some extra ponies and torque. Head and cam packages?

Does it make more power? Does it effect torque?

Thanks
Alpha sells 1/2/3 engines and cams mate. You better off contacting them and asking questions directly

·
Vendor
2,859 Posts
A solid camshaft without shift cam would be awesome. Naturally you would loose some HP somewhere to do that.
While it is not possible to know the exact configuration of the WSBK engine that is being used race to race by the BMW Motorrad team, it was told by the WSBK reporters there was 3 races that the engine was tried without shift cam and it was found that even in WSBK level of racing some slower speed turns had benefit to running the shift cam so low end torque was better off corner. The shift cam assembly was put back in. About the same time Alpha was working on a shift cam delete package but it appears to have been put on hold. Removing shift cam would require a complete rewrite of the ECU coding. Then it might not be as simple as just unplugging the connectors on the shift cam solenoids and letting them just sit there.

So to do shift cam delete right you are looking at

ECU
Wiring harness
Valve cover
camshafts
most likely a cylinder head depending on how the nonshift cam lobes interact with followers

Reactions: verrucktaxe

·
Registered
28 Posts
While it is not possible to know the exact configuration of the WSBK engine that is being used race to race by the BMW Motorrad team, it was told by the WSBK reporters there was 3 races that the engine was tried without shift cam and it was found that even in WSBK level of racing some slower speed turns had benefit to running the shift cam so low end torque was better off corner. The shift cam assembly was put back in.
Did they forget to put it back to Laverty's bike?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts