BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of differing info i'm reading....does a flash void the warranty?...I see Bren and Xworks available,both with handhelds I'm assuming...My S1KRR is slated to arrive in early March. Wanna hurry to get 600mi on it and unlock stock limiters.Would love to get my moneys worth as soon as possible....

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
It's been said dealership can't see the flash/tune, but I'd think at this point they understand 90% are tuned due to the 2-4 gear issues. My concern is if the motor is to blow than they most certainly would see the tune/flash and not cover the replacement, I've gotten some Intel from a buddy that works at a dealership here in the USA and for the k67 engine is roughly 12.5k labor not included.

So in short, yes it voids warranty. Others with more knowledge than myself here say dealership can't see it at their level. So for minor issues I don't think we will have a problem but larger costly issues most likely will be. I've read on here BMW sometimes will honor major repairs even when flashed/tuned on the flip side I've also read they won't. So I can only assume it's 50/50 on who handles the issue in Germany

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long is the warranty actually?...I s'pose it doesnt really matter,as I know I wont wait that long to flash it...But I think we all need to know if the flash is "invisible",if we return to stock mode for any relevant dealer services covered by warranty..

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
So with Brentuning I know they offer the handheld and I just flash back to stock before heading to the dealership. If I recall the warranty is 3 years 36k miles (plastics including wheels) is only 12months

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. I use my local cycle shop for things I cant do,but good to know we get 3yrs on limited stuff..Just really hoping this bike is as reliable as my R1(which I'm keeping)...worse case,it becomes my parts runner...Looking forward to receiving,modding,and flashing this bike...All ASAP!

·
Registered
294 Posts
There are several threads here with all of the information and perspectives there is. If you get the bike in the US, you need the tune. If you can't deal with the infinitesimally-small risk of warranty problem, you need another bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well,that may be the most uneccessary reply ive read in ages...Im sure my concerns are more than valid,and Ive yet to hear from the tuners/flashers themselves regarding the elephant in the room(regarding invisibility of flash)..I sold an MV Agusta F4RR to switch to this model,fairly certain my questions are legit,being as I read about all the issues(whether mild and/or covered by warranty),will be worth the 26/27k I will have invested

·
Registered
710 Posts
Zero I'm sure Tom didn't mean any harm in his reply. The issue with reading messages it's difficult to detect sarcasm. If you search Exerks or BT you should find lots of info on the warranty topic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well,true......and I'll just assume by his sentence"I'll need another bike",to mean as a backup,while this one's in the shop!...I'm good,just getting anxious as I read the forums daily for hints,tips and info...S'pose I'll just wait to get my machine,and follow up with my thoughts....Just doing my homework before arrival...Tom, no disregard......

·
Registered
710 Posts
Lot's of info on the forum. Don't be shy to ask questions just make sure you search first. Many same questions get asked a lot. Chances are someone has already asked your question so rather then ask and wait for replies you may be able to find all the answers in old posts. I'm sure you'll have your bike before you know it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well,true......and I'll just assume by his sentence"I'll need another bike",to mean as a backup,while this one's in the shop!...I'm good,just getting anxious as I read the forums daily for hints,tips and info...S'pose I'll just wait to get my machine,and follow up with my thoughts....Just doing my homework before arrival...Tom, no disregard......
My remark was not meant as snarky as you took it. But there have been several threads on this specific topic, including very recently, where all known information and points of view have been expressed.

In summary:
  1. There are circumstances under which BMW could deny warranty coverage because of a ECU flash tune. These are normally limited to severe engine damage where the tune is held at least partially responsible. But this is also possibly true of other mods such as a full exhaust system.
  2. The risk is mitigated by BMW normally going out of its way to maintain good customer service and reputation, especially if you don't act like a jerk to them.
  3. Specific qualities of Brentuning such as its relative stealthiness (not obvious to normal dealer inspection/tools) and the ability to restore the stock flash further reduce the already low risk.
  4. The US 2020 RR gets reviewed poorly, and deservedly so, for its crappy mid-range power due to the stock tune. Thus, if you don't want to risk an ECU flash, you should consider other bikes that don't have the problem (as badly) absent such a fix. You don't want to spend $25K for a new superbike and get midrange power akin to a 600.
So, it's simple. To get a great superbike from BMW, you 100% need the ECU tune regardless of perceived risk, but the real risk is extremely low, especially if you take normal precautions.

T

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All good Tom....just doing homework,prep work,etc...I came to the forum for help,info,etc....and already have spent enough money to feed a family of four, and an abundance of info i dont understand...Again, all good on my end...Thanks for reply...R

·
Registered
131 Posts
About new k67's warranty is all talk for now. Nobody blew his/her motor yet so we all don't have any idea how BMW will treat the claim if one comes up. So if it's up to me, the damn bike already makes tons of power, I would leave everything stock and just get a Brentuning's M flash to get full power in the mid range. That way just flash back to stock if something ever happens to the motor. Don't need to reinstall stock exhaust because you had a full aftermarket exhaust on. If I really want little more noise, I would get a SC slip on.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Just an FYI, BT is not the only flash available. I mean no disrespect and i don't want ti hijack the thread but so many refer to flashes as "Brentuning" when we should be saying ECU flash. There are ECU flashing choices out there...

It's like calling diapers "pampers"

·
Vendor
1,062 Posts
About new k67's warranty is all talk for now. Nobody blew his/her motor yet so we all don't have any idea how BMW will treat the claim if one comes up. So if it's up to me, the damn bike already makes tons of power, I would leave everything stock and just get a Brentuning's M flash to get full power in the mid range. That way just flash back to stock if something ever happens to the motor. Don't need to reinstall stock exhaust because you had a full aftermarket exhaust on. If I really want little more noise, I would get a SC slip on.
There's been a flashed 2020 that had an oil pump issue, lost the motor on the freeway and got it replaced under warranty. Zero cost to the customer. ;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
There's been a flashed 2020 that had an oil pump issue, lost the motor on the freeway and got it replaced under warranty. Zero cost to the customer. ;)
Were they aware it was flashed, not that it would make a difference here?

Motorrad must know that approximately 100% of US RRs get flashed now.

·
Vendor
2,184 Posts
Just an FYI, BT is not the only flash available. I mean no disrespect and i don't want ti hijack the thread but so many refer to flashes as "Brentuning" when we should be saying ECU flash. There are ECU flashing choices out there...

It's like calling diapers "pampers"
I think it is more like the old days when someone said they were going to the Xerox to make copies when in fact they were using a HP coping machine and still called it a Xerox.

I cannot help the fact that BrenTune and even what was Alpha USA had been around since 2010/11 timeframe of getting into the BMW Motorrad tuning applications to people. I bought into BMW product line in 2015. I have been tuning ECU's since 2003. I helped www.hptuners.com get started. That is a really bold statement to make considering how big and how much HPTUNERS has helped and brought tuning where it is today for cars and trucks. I quit working on ECU's in 2010. I had no more desire after over 20,000 of ECU tunes to people all over the world. I got back into tuning because I wanted to tune my DDC suspension. The dealer wanted to much for RCK3/HP power kit coding, and voiding my warranty at 3600 miles was not going to happen. It took me 28 days to crack the coding inside the ECU to put RCK3/HP power kit coding in there. I went on to figure out the security coding inside the ECU for EWS and cloning. I am the only person on the internet that can take an EWS from one BMW S1000RR and put it on another ECU or another ECU, or another ECU...... to effectively allow the use of one key, one switch to start and run as many ECU's as you want on one bike. I can do this on 2010 to 2020. I just cracked the coding on the K67 ECU last week to allow me to take your ECU and run it on my bike with your coding. No one else can do that. Very few want to do that because it is very time consuming.

Deal with who you want to. I do things for myself and my friends. If you want to be my friend, you are better than a just a customer to me.

·
Vendor
1,062 Posts
Were they aware it was flashed, not that it would make a difference here?

Motorrad must know that approximately 100% of US RRs get flashed now.
BMW didn't know the bike was flashed and never found out. The bike was flashed back to stock before heading to the dealer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts