BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had any issues taking the rear wheel off with the stock chain? I don't remember this being an issue on my older gen S100RR or my Kawi. There wasn't enough clearance in front of the rear tire to slide it forward and remove the chain from the rear sprocket. I'm also noticing a 120 chain is pretty snug on this bike and has the rear wheel pretty far forward in the swingarm.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Has anyone here had any issues taking the rear wheel off with the stock chain? I don't remember this being an issue on my older gen S100RR or my Kawi. There wasn't enough clearance in front of the rear tire to slide it forward and remove the chain from the rear sprocket. I'm also noticing a 120 chain is pretty snug on this bike and has the rear wheel pretty far forward in the swingarm.
Did you move chain adjuster all the way forward and still can't take it off? Make sure chain isn't jammed somewhere. I have 2017 but I never had any problems with any of bikes I owned over the years.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think the 2020 is different. I took the axle out and rolled the wheel forward but it didn't go very much further forward until it hit the back of the swingarm (on the inside). It still didn't give me enough slack in the chain to remove the wheel.

·
Registered
758 Posts
When I do this you have to move the wheel forward and up and rotate a bit to get the slack in the right place. What chain/sprocket combo did you order?

·
Registered
365 Posts
You need to tilt the wheel after you take out the axel as you move it forward, and then the chain comes off the top with the angle you created. You might need to rotate the wheel some, but probably not.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I do this you have to move the wheel forward and up and rotate a bit to get the slack in the right place. What chain/sprocket combo did you order?
I ordered a long 3D chain and I'm running Driven sprockets. They only have 45/46 rear and I'm running a 16 up front.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need to tilt the wheel after you take out the axel as you move it forward, and then the chain comes off the top with the angle you created. You might need to rotate the wheel some, but probably not.
Normally you could just move it forward and create enough slack. Seems like BMW should have put another link or so on the stock chain.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
It does looks like chain adjuster is way forward compare to last gen RR. I'm wondering if BMW did that purposely to make wheelbase shorter to turn better. I never rode 2020 so I wouldn't know.

·
Registered
199 Posts
1. Remove Axle
2. Slide the wheel forwards and remove the rear brake caliper buy sliding it towards the front of the bike (while moving the wheel in the same direction) and plopping it off to the side of the swingarm
3. Tilt the wheel slightly so it looks like this: /
4. Pulling from the bottom of the chain work it up and over your sprocket and hang the upper half from the swingarm

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't ridden it on the track yet, but it felt really light compared to my other bikes during the break-in miles. I can already tell it handles great.
It does looks like chain adjuster is way forward compare to last gen RR. I'm wondering if BMW did that purposely to make wheelbase shorter to turn better. I never rode 2020 so I wouldn't know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts