BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just cruising down the highway 60 mph, the bike all of a sudden lost power felt like 2 cylinders where down.. I was trying to make it to the next exit but the bike shut off. Had to coast it the rest of the way.

Got a trailer, got it back home. Then ripped it apart. I'm not the type to bring it to the dealer (mainly because I have a flash and wanted to make sure that wasn't the problem first) also I wanted to know what was wrong.

So took a few hours did some testing and turns out its a ignition coil. Any one else have one fail? Think the dealer will give me a new one 😂 I'm not trying to put this thing all the way back to stock for them to have it for a week to tell me it needs a new coil, then when they fix it I'm gonna have to put my mods back on 🤦‍♂️ annoying lol. What do you fellas think?

·
Vendor
2,883 Posts
I was just cruising down the highway 60 mph, the bike all of a sudden lost power felt like 2 cylinders where down.. I was trying to make it to the next exit but the bike shut off. Had to coast it the rest of the way.

Got a trailer, got it back home. Then ripped it apart. I'm not the type to bring it to the dealer (mainly because I have a flash and wanted to make sure that wasn't the problem first) also I wanted to know what was wrong.

So took a few hours did some testing and turns out its a ignition coil. Any one else have one fail? Think the dealer will give me a new one 😂 I'm not trying to put this thing all the way back to stock for them to have it for a week to tell me it needs a new coil, then when they fix it I'm gonna have to put my mods back on 🤦‍♂️ annoying lol. What do you fellas think?

lost count. last I posted on the people it was about 21 in 3 countries. Not limited to a USA issue. Sadly BMWAG does not even outline a testing process for the dealer to use and get the work done quickly. Dealer kept one forum members bike 3 months and blamed it on the wiring, but, they changed the coils too.

Reactions: Chrisnbig

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lost count. last I posted on the people it was about 21 in 3 countries. Not limited to a USA issue. Sadly BMWAG does not even outline a testing process for the dealer to use and get the work done quickly. Dealer kept one forum members bike 3 months and blamed it on the wiring, but, they changed the coils too.
My dealer is being pretty cool, might give me a coil with out doing the labor. They said BMW only pays them .9 hours to change a coil anyways lol. Thats a lot of work for only .9 hrs. He also tried to tell me that hes only seen it happen to flashed bike, Idk how true that is? I'm sure if they're this many failures plenty have been on stock bikes.

Also he just told me of a new recall? He didnt know exactly what it was but thought it was a chafing issue somewhere??

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
A number of bikes with stock maps have the coil issue. A coil failed on a CSS bike I was riding (stock tune).

The wire harness apparently also rubs in some spots - not sure if it's an actual recall.

I understand there is a pending recall on the Hayes calipers.

·
Vendor
2,883 Posts
My dealer is being pretty cool, might give me a coil with out doing the labor. They said BMW only pays them .9 hours to change a coil anyways lol. Thats a lot of work for only .9 hrs. He also tried to tell me that hes only seen it happen to flashed bike, Idk how true that is? I'm sure if they're this many failures plenty have been on stock bikes.

Also he just told me of a new recall? He didnt know exactly what it was but thought it was a chafing issue somewhere??
That coil issue has occurred to many stock bikes.

The flash has nothing to do with coil output nor the voltage input to the coil.

The wiring chaffing has already been discussed on here that somewhere in the harness there is some rubbing against something sharp and it that usually can lead to a fire if a positive and a ground come together. Melted wires for sure if no fire results.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One thing I forgot about, when I got down to the valve cover I noticed this sensor leaking, anyone know what this is or a part number for a oring? Assuming it needs a new oring anyway.

Thanks for all the help guys

·
Vendor
2,883 Posts
Just remove the sensor and go to a NAPA. They will help you match the Oring to a replacement. Autozone usually does not have staff that can help in matching a part. they only want the part number.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just remove the sensor and go to a NAPA. They will help you match the Oring to a replacement. Autozone usually does not have staff that can help in matching a part. they only want the part number.
I pulled the sensor out, oring looked fine actually. It honestly could be leaking threw the sensor.. Hmm, I cleaned it all up , ill check it again when the other coils go out :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Vendor
2,883 Posts
I pulled the sensor out, oring looked fine actually. It honestly could be leaking threw the sensor.. Hmm, I cleaned it all up , ill check it again when the other coils go out :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
That is what I would do too.. be sure not to pinch the oring going back in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This bike huge disappointment, my buddies has been back for coils three times so far.. its' always number 4 too..
I really enjoy riding mine, but I never thought it would leave me walking either lol. 3 coils going out in one year is crazy, 1 coil going out on a brand new bike is crazy too. Kind of wondering why the bike wouldnt stay running on 3 cylinders. It ran terrible for a mile or so then shut off. Maybe hydro lock with the injector dumping fuel and not being burnt? Wouldn't be so bad if you could limp the bike home when a coil fails ,but nope have to trailer it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts