BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that downforce spoilers (winglets) were a useless bling-type item, at least before I rode my RR on the back straight of COTA where I had front wheel lift at over 160 mph. I'm considering this, or something similar, when they come out. What do more experienced track riders think? Worthwhile?

·
Registered
513 Posts
How does it connect to the body? Using existing mounting points or do you need to drill into the fairings?

These look much more attractive than the Ducati and Honda winglets.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't believe you.

on the back straight of COTA where I had front wheel lift at over 160 mph.

Puig didn't develop **** with BMW with these. BMW would have winglets developed if they actually worked

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think is better a decent suspension setting and a bit of WC.
Are you racing or in a championship or for hobby? If hobby then why wings?
Also these are attached on fairing and it is not certain that the riveting and screws will be able to hold the extra pull down at high speeds.

IMO the future of wings is the one made by Aprilia.
It directly exposed on clean air, will be more effective and will also have less turbulence to the rear.
Plus looks better imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Did you really had your front wheel off the tarmac at 160 ? I'd be scared poopless..still, for me I don't like the looks of it and what would happen if bike fall over in the garage? It would crack the fairings since it sticks out further than the frame sliders.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does it connect to the body? Using existing mounting points or do you need to drill into the fairings?

These look much more attractive than the Ducati and Honda winglets.
In the Q&A it says "These kits use small brackets on the underside of the fairing to mount securely." I can't tell much from the pre-production photos.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think is better a decent suspension setting and a bit of WC.
Are you racing or in a championship or for hobby? If hobby then why wings?
Also these are attached on fairing and it is not certain that the riveting and screws will be able to hold the extra pull down at high speeds.

IMO the future of wings is the one made by Aprilia.
It directly exposed on clean air, will be more effective and will also have less turbulence to the rear.
Plus looks better imo.

I like the design of the Aprillia, but that's not an option.

I'm only an intermediate in track groups, but working up. No championship in my future. I just want some additional stability at speed.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you really had your front wheel off the tarmac at 160 ? I'd be scared poopless..still, for me I don't like the looks of it and what would happen if bike fall over in the garage? It would crack the fairings since it sticks out further than the frame sliders.
Yep, the front was floating at around 165. It never fully sat after the power wheelie coming out of 11. I could feel the TC intervene. I think it was due to a few factors:
  1. The back straight of COTA has long bumpy/wavy sections.
  2. I probably need to get some help on the suspension.
  3. My eyes are fairly high in my (tight) XL helmet causing poor visibility when chin down in full tuck. I needed to replace my helmet foam piece (it was crushed from use) that raises my helmet for better look-up visibility. The result was that my chin was around 6-8" above the tank and I think that between the additional resistance and airflow over my back, it caused some lift.
I'll fix #3 next time and they just resurfaced the track irregularities in time for MotoGP. I need help on suspension.

My guess (without seeing them) is that the winglets would bend/break if it fell over. Given the planned availability in Aug, it sounds like they still have some work to do.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think you need to set up your suspension.
Also mind your body position.

Wings wouldn’t solve the main issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
2,832 Posts
Yep, the front was floating at around 165. It never fully sat after the power wheelie coming out of 11. I could feel the TC intervene. I think it was due to a few factors:
  1. The back straight of COTA has long bumpy/wavy sections.
  2. I probably need to get some help on the suspension.
  3. My eyes are fairly high in my (tight) XL helmet causing poor visibility when chin down in full tuck. I needed to replace my helmet foam piece (it was crushed from use) that raises my helmet for better look-up visibility. The result was that my chin was around 6-8" above the tank and I think that between the additional resistance and airflow over my back, it caused some lift.
I'll fix #3 next time and they just resurfaced the track irregularities in time for MotoGP. I need help on suspension.

My guess (without seeing them) is that the winglets would bend/break if it fell over. Given the planned availability in Aug, it sounds like they still have some work to do.
Number 1 and 2 are the most of the problem at COTA in December when we were there for the RS trackday. Coming off 11 and down the long straight was so dependent on where you picked the wave bumps. MotoGP was ready to bail out on COTA and F1 was for sure not coming back if the bumps were not addressed. COTA seems to have responded with some repair work in actual paving. I have only seen a few pictures of some paving and my guess is that it is not a full track rework, but spotty on the worse parts.

The K67 responded well, but I not only cleared the front tire, I got the rear completely in the air and max'ed DTC on the cluster readout from the differential wheel spin.

Winglets would not solve this track issue, but MotoGP loves the things so they must work on corner exits.

Reactions: Tom Bernhardt

·
Registered
513 Posts
Did the waves at COTA appear over time? When i was there (over a year ago) i remember the track being super smooth.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bumps get worse with time. The track is built on a clay soil, which shifts and subsides. It needs a periodic redo and it was overdue this year. I mostly felt it between turns 11-12 and 1-3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts