BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An issue has become known to me recently. I have 2 confirmed cases of this happening. There is a fuse box under the riders seat. Next to the main 40A fuse. It has a 15A and 7.5A fuse in it. It faces downwards. The holder it clicks into doesn't have any holes in it. So eventually water seeps in from rain or washing the bike and fills up. Then it hits the fuses and shorts them out. Leaving you stranded basically. You need spare fuses if they are blown. And it gunks up and corrodes the terminals in there. This is not an official BMW notice. Just passing the info on to anyone with the new bike. You don't want this to happen if you are out on a ride and far from help. Might be an idea to seal it up with silicone or put some dielectric grease in there. Maybe even put some tiny holes in the bottom to let water drain out if it does get in there. Not fill up. These pics are from my bike. Which doesn't have any water in it.

·
Administrator
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is concerning, what did you do to prevent the water from going in?
I haven't done anything yet. But I think I will put some dielectric grease around the rubber seal. Maybe also put some tiny holes in each corner of the bottom cap. To allow water to drain out. But not allow it in. I think in this instance. Tiny holes in each corner will help to drain it out and not let it fill up. Water won't get in from the bottom. It comes from the top.

·
Registered
12 Posts

There is a seal inside the connector, don't you think it is enough to prevent water from going in ?

·
Administrator
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No. That's the point. It doesn't seal. Its not like it allows a lot of water in. But over time once it gets in it can't go anywhere. So it fills up until it hits the fuses and shorts them. So dielectric grease on the seal and drain holes in the bottom will fix it.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thats a bad weatherpak connector. I would turn it upside down from how it is stock and see if that helps before drilling holes in the cover.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
If it's anything like my '15, I'd think the engine heat would evaporate any small collection of water.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Now the pesky 2020's get water-logged!!

Sent by shoephone via Tapatoe

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Of course we ride in the rain. However, a poorly designed fuse holder which will collect water and short out fuses is just another example of not-so-great German engineering! Yea, I know...tough to think of every scenario.

·
Registered
520 Posts
This is yet another reason I don't power wash my RR. The other is the M Sport decals, especially in the tail section, are pretty fragile. They don't appear to be sealed underneath a clearcoat. Some edges are beginning to lift and BMW has agreed to replace them. This is the only issue I've had and it's only mildly cosmetic.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I haven't done anything yet. But I think I will put some dielectric grease around the rubber seal. Maybe also put some tiny holes in each corner of the bottom cap. To allow water to drain out. But not allow it in. I think in this instance. Tiny holes in each corner will help to drain it out and not let it fill up. Water won't get in from the bottom. It comes from the top.
I've done some connector design for electronics packages as part of my career. It appears from the pic that the connector has a seal around the connector itself. BUT, considering the connector mounts into that little bucket with the wires coming out the top, there should be o-rings sealing EVERY wire where it enters the connector, and for the connector holes that do NOT have a wire entering the connector (empty electrical sockets), there should be a sealing plug in there. I can't say for sure without being there, but my guess is that water is running down the wires into the connector and filling up the bucket. I'd check that. I'd love to help, and in fact if BMW would fly me down there I'd LOVE to help diagnose the root cause of the failure.... :)

Reactions: bennymx

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I agree. Thats why i would flip it rather then drill a drain hole in it. I've worked with many weatherpak connectors and even relays. They are not all made the same.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
The plug has seals on the pins. It shouldn't get water in but does.
It should also have o-rings at every entry point for the wires. I used to design electronics packaging for use in outdoors and industrial environments where there were "wash down" concerns (where equipment gets a high-pressure hosing to clean it off), and on every connector we had to spec it to the vendor so that every wire entry point had the proper o-ring for the particular wire gage entering the connector at that point (you can have any number of different wire gages used on a connector - small for data and big for power), and make sure that all the empty ports had a plug spec'd for them. Maybe BMW forgot or perhaps that style of connector does not have o-rings in the wire entry ports. A mistake either way to use that connector then.

Reactions: Alexanderss
1 - 20 of 27 Posts