BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inlet camshaft is comprised of two pieces that run without friction and with a slight perceptible play on a splined shaft. The direction of force changes at the highest point of the cam. This change of direction of force creates a audible click. This is the tooth backlash between the splined shaft and sliding cam. How loud the noise is will depend on the tolerances of the individual components and oil temperature.

The noise is not related to damage. It is just noise due to the design concept. The noise is considered reasonable for a engine of this nature and purpose.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for clarification. The ticking sound really is noticeable. Kind of like it thou, gives the motor a unique character, almost like the old Ducati clutch sound even though it is far from that loud!

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
While I appreciate @bennymx research on this ticking noise, it is not the shift cam technology in my opinion 'some' of us are hearing/experiencing.

I have built many engines in my time. I have already expressed my concern of the sound being like a shim adjustment is out of spec and can lead to potential failure due to high RPM flutter spitting the shim out of the bucket. In the picture number 15 is the shim for those that dont understand these parts.

The reason I express concern about this ticking is that mine was so quiet up to 400 miles there about. All the sudden this ticking started and it got louder as heat gets into the engine. Right on startup it is quiet for 15 to 45 seconds. Then the ticking starts. After a hard ride and come to a stop the ticking is so bad it sounds almost like the cam chain is going to come apart.

I have seen the dealer at 605 miles for the documented limiter removal and oil / filter change. I had them document my concerns on the work order the ticking is unreasonable. They agreed also, but, had no clue what to do about it. I told them BennyMX explanation about shift cam and they again, had not a clue what to say. I rode with 2 other ///M bikes sunday. One is at 350 miles, the other at 425 miles. One has some slight, and I mean very slight ticking in the engine. The other is very quiet and smooth sounding. However to make note of the miles, mine started the ticking at 400 miles, and I can say I ride just a little harder than the average rider.
@Illusionalta and I have talked on the phone several times. His ticks as loud as mine.

I went to the dealer yesterday but I did not have my bike with me. I talked with the general manager and the service manager about the tick again. They have agreed to get an oil sample from the crankcase and have this analyzed. I will also send the same oil sample to BlackStone Labs and make sure we get about the same results. I have oil samples from 250 miles, 605 miles, and now this sample will be at 1780 miles.

The people with this unreasonable amount of ticking need to come together and get BMW North America aware that maybe it is limited to the 189 bikes made April 2-14. I would think that if the bikes provided for the Demo Ride days, or the bikes at Bimmer Feast had this ticking, someone would have brought it up. It is not unreasonable to think that the 189 bikes made at the same time have some issue just like the 340 made in May that are part of the recall on the transmission oiling issue that was found. I guess I need to blow up my engine to get BMWAG attention to this.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Have you contacted Dylan Code, to see if their fleet has this issue? Those bikes must get a lot of work, so if this is a systemic problem it ought to be in their bikes, too. That would be a good data point to present to BMW if they have that noise also.

·
Registered
339 Posts
While I appreciate @bennymx research on this ticking noise, it is not the shift cam technology in my opinion 'some' of us are hearing/experiencing.

I have built many engines in my time. I have already expressed my concern of the sound being like a shim adjustment is out of spec and can lead to potential failure due to high RPM flutter spitting the shim out of the bucket. In the picture number 15 is the shim for those that dont understand these parts.

The reason I express concern about this ticking is that mine was so quiet up to 400 miles there about. All the sudden this ticking started and it got louder as heat gets into the engine. Right on startup it is quiet for 15 to 45 seconds. Then the ticking starts. After a hard ride and come to a stop the ticking is so bad it sounds almost like the cam chain is going to come apart.

I have seen the dealer at 605 miles for the documented limiter removal and oil / filter change. I had them document my concerns on the work order the ticking is unreasonable. They agreed also, but, had no clue what to do about it. I told them BennyMX explanation about shift cam and they again, had not a clue what to say. I rode with 2 other ///M bikes sunday. One is at 350 miles, the other at 425 miles. One has some slight, and I mean very slight ticking in the engine. The other is very quiet and smooth sounding. However to make note of the miles, mine started the ticking at 400 miles, and I can say I ride just a little harder than the average rider.

@Illusionalta and I have talked on the phone several times. His ticks as loud as mine.

I went to the dealer yesterday but I did not have my bike with me. I talked with the general manager and the service manager about the tick again. They have agreed to get an oil sample from the crankcase and have this analyzed. I will also send the same oil sample to BlackStone Labs and make sure we get about the same results. I have oil samples from 250 miles, 605 miles, and now this sample will be at 1780 miles.

The people with this unreasonable amount of ticking need to come together and get BMW North America aware that maybe it is limited to the 189 bikes made April 2-14. I would think that if the bikes provided for the Demo Ride days, or the bikes at Bimmer Feast had this ticking, someone would have brought it up. It is not unreasonable to think that the 189 bikes made at the same time have some issue just like the 340 made in May that are part of the recall on the transmission oiling issue that was found. I guess I need to blow up my engine to get BMWAG attention to this.

Mine definitely has a rather loud ticking noise as well, I'll see if I can video it at some point.

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
well @Dylan Code got a bike that was built in February 2019 as the test bike he made some comparisons to about the HP4 RACE. He then got the bikes from the Barber Press launch from what I understand from some of his postings. These bikes were all made March 2-15.

Can Dylan even make comments that might be negative about BMW bikes? Maybe he has signed a non disclosure that prevents him from these types of comments.

·
Registered
166 Posts
well @Dylan Code got a bike that was built in February 2019 as the test bike he made some comparisons to about the HP4 RACE. He then got the bikes from the Barber Press launch from what I understand from some of his postings. These bikes were all made March 2-15.

Can Dylan even make comments that might be negative about BMW bikes? Maybe he has signed a non disclosure that prevents him from these types of comments.
Let's just say he has very very close ties with BMW and you are unlikely to hear or read anything straight negative about bimmer product coming from him. He will get to know these bikes in and out and if you want some of his insight you will need to sign up for CSS and hear it from him privately. Lol.
Fyi I gain nothing by anybody signing up for CSS btw ?

·
4,608 Posts
Heard the bike in person at VIR south with PRE recently. The ticking does not sound normal.

Hope BMW irons out all bugs soon! I find it irresponsible of them to rush the bike just to comply with WSBK. Dealing with BMW to get an engine or bike replaced is a PITA. Ask me how I know.

·
Super Moderator
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@BMW_388 The noise I describe for the K67 sounds like a general ticking in the top end. That is the sound I refer too. BMW say it is the shiftcam. Not a loose valve clearance or wearing of the cams/followers. A valve clearance check and cam/follower check will tell you whether it is either of them.

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
@bennymx

Why it starts at 400 there about miles for some, and not at all on others?

Why does it get worse as heat builds into the engine?

What component out of shift cam could possibly create this noise that BMW representatives are putting this noise issue on?

I am fine with its going to make ticking, and learn to like it concept. The engine does run extremely well. It even runs better now with the coding I have and the enables that must be part of that coding so that certain maps are running in the ECU that were designed around the engineering process in the early going.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The shiftcam mechanism just extends some pins to move/shift the camshaft at certain moments (e.g. crossing 9k RPM). It is not really doing anything when no switching between different lobe profiles happens so I also don't see how this mechanism could cause ticking noises, especially at idle.

·
Super Moderator
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The shiftcam mechanism just extends some pins to move/shift the camshaft at certain moments (e.g. crossing 9k RPM). It is not really doing anything when no switching between different lobe profiles happens so I also don't see how this mechanism could cause ticking noises, especially at idle.
Incorrect. The inlet camshaft is 2 pieces. It slides and has a ball and spring mechanism inside. It will still have some backlash in the spline/teeth so even when it is not sliding there is always movement. You can see this in the diagram on the previous page. You are describing the solenoids.

·
Super Moderator
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Call me crazy, but I think the pin is creating that ticking noise, as shown on the video.
The pin in the video is only clicking because it is resting on the shift gate on the cam. Normally the solenoid has 2 pins (only 1 at a time) that push out to slide the cam across and then get pushed back in. The noise in the video though is the pin going up and down. Not how it works in actual operation though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, I am new to both this forum and BMW but we got a 2020 1000rr in and I was lucky enough to get to work on it. It is from California Super Bike School and has complaints inline with what @bmw_338 has described as well as others. I did a lot of web searching and landed on this forum, which i think will be my main focus for collaborative info. I've taken notes on all the points and opinions given so far and am going to try and talk to the rider from CSS tomorrow to see if things match up. This is a very intriguing issue dealing with cutting edge tech. Ill try and post my personal findings and opinions over the next week.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This topic about engine ticking is all over the S1000 forums. All models have threads about the same “impression”

I had a R and a XR and it has been similar feedback etc but BMW has done nothing because there is nothing to be done.
After many years of the s1000 platform it should now be clear that the ticking (more or less of it) is part of the attributes of the engine platform.

When you own a Desmo from Ducati same thing the mechanical sound is heavy and different.

Just my 2cts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
760 Posts
Lightness and noise comes from not having anything to block noise. Youtube any actual GT3 racing car they are loud as heck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts