BMW S1000RR Forum banner

701 - 720 of 740 Posts

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Mine ticks/makes some noise. It's like a mild-ish version of the sound my other bikes make when I first start them after changing oil and filter - until the oil is circulated.

I've never heard anything like your bike. I hope they sort it out for you.

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
62 Posts
I had the dealer install the "Torque Optimization" map during the first service.

Having not compared it with a flashed bike, I like it. Power and torque are plenty. It wheelies in 3rd gear at 100 mph.

My K67 is an everyday bike. I commute, go to the store, ride for pleasure... not a race bike. It would be nice to have the remaining 20HP back, but even as it is, the bike is still great. On track, I am at the slower half of the B group, so I am not really limited by the bike. If you are a better rider, or like highway stunts, or can't get that nagging reminder that your bike could be even better and faster out of your head, then you know your answer...

If a tune could only fix the hp and torque curves, I probably would have flashed it by now. But in my experience, there is always a compromise. For example, I may be different than most in that I like the quiet exhaust and intake, and the smooth power buildup.
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Everyone who tells me their k67 ticks, ends up being normal valve train and cam chain noise. Mine is pretty distinct.

Hot damn. I have a slight ticking, but nothing this pronounced. And once my engine is warmed, the ticking sound all but disappears. This has got to be something else.

Could you measure the frequency of the tick sound? That might give you an idea of the part of the engine which is ticking (by looking at ratio of RPM:tick sound)

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
You use to ride a GSXR? I did..

Not that Germany engineering is better, it is just better these days in build process and specifications. Today's engines with PROPER maintenance and not exceeding manufacture specifications of fan on temps ( 213F ) , IAT relocation ( air box middle upper ) , RPM not jacked to 15,000.. I think that 200HP at the rear tire is good.

Thats a impressive dyno graph. Could you post the AFR section of it as well? Btw, does having the secondary air system (which injects air from the air box to the exhaust post) affect the bike's ability to use its closed loop mode to target a particular AFR? Or the bike's ECU compensates for it already?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hot damn. I have a slight ticking, but nothing this pronounced. And once my engine is warmed, the ticking sound all but disappears. This has got to be something else.

Could you measure the frequency of the tick sound? That might give you an idea of the part of the engine which is ticking (by looking at ratio of RPM:tick sound)
I think the video pics up the sound too well. The sound increases with the rpm, however more or less dissapears at 5-6k rpm. Could be the shiftcam is louder, or a valve needs adjustment or a loud injector. It gets louder the hotter the engine gets. The bike still dynod 197 whp on a dynojet 250i.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Everyone who tells me their k67 ticks, ends up being normal valve train and cam chain noise. Mine is pretty distinct.

I had the same, the engine broke out. 9246km.
I'm just waiting for a new engine

And I wrote to BMW and received an additional year of warranty and i have now 4 years

·
Registered
21 Posts

And I wrote to BMW and received an additional year of warranty and i have now 4 years
You had the same ticking noise? Though this seems to be from the top end, not sure how this would cause engine failure.

What caused your motor to go? Usually it's something do with the bottom end, or it drops a valve.

What happened?

·
Registered
21 Posts

Also it's at the dealer for the winter, they are going to check the valves, cams and followers. Give it a good lookover.

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
62 Posts
Run in service complete unlocked the bi k e installed the torque optimization map for the time being. This thing is bonkers. Crazy strong. Can't wait till my brentune. Popped a tire on my way there too. Left with new rubber.

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
62 Posts
Yeah, they gave me a little grief about the map too.. didn't get a warm fuzzy from the service guys. I'm in the automotive service industry so its easy for me be hyper critical tho. Still has crazy amount of power, but very dull from. 6-8k rpms. Got the bike back unlocked and new rubber and went straight up the mountain. Mt lemmon. Can't wait for my tune.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You had the same ticking noise? Though this seems to be from the top end, not sure how this would cause engine failure.

What caused your motor to go? Usually it's something do with the bottom end, or it drops a valve.

What happened?
Yes. I don't know what's broken with my engine. I know only that when draining the oil there is a lot of metal filings. at the beginning, the service said that this was the fault of the engine computer. But they then said that it's not
how many miles you have?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah, they gave me a little grief about the map too.. didn't get a warm fuzzy from the service guys. I'm in the automotive service industry so its easy for me be hyper critical tho. Still has crazy amount of power, but very dull from. 6-8k rpms. Got the bike back unlocked and new rubber and went straight up the mountain. Mt lemmon. Can't wait for my tune.
Yes, the 6-8K rpm the bike is held back. Some people say they dont notice it, they dont notice it because they arent twisting the throttle hard enough and giving it the beans.
The bike doesnt come with the TOM from factory. Dont know why the sevice guys would give you grief, you pay $20K for a bike and its neutered! GRRRR

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
62 Posts
Yes, the 6-8K rpm the bike is held back. Some people say they dont notice it, they dont notice it because they arent twisting the throttle hard enough and giving it the beans.
The bike doesnt come with the TOM from factory. Dont know why the sevice guys would give you grief, you pay $20K for a bike and its neutered! GRRRR
Tell me about it. That flat spot was supposed to be cured in the torque mapping.

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
62 Posts
Are you saying it is not cured with the TOM? For me I would of rather had BMW neuter the top end and not the midrange, for street riding it sucks.
I wonder if there is a way to tell if it was loaded... other than a dyno... the service that was supposed to take 3-4 hours aside from the run in and oil change. Took like 45 min. Im skeptical, I'm in the automotive service industry and it doesn't work like that. As least fro. My 20 plus years of wrenching ana managing.

701 - 720 of 740 Posts