BMW S1000RR Forum banner

681 - 700 of 740 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Don't get the stupid torque optimization map from BMW, it will compromise the amazing top end this bike is known for - get a Bren handheld when it goes on sale for Black Friday and load up a Stage 1 flash. Reportedly good for ~40-50 rwhp in the midrange and you can flash back to stock should you have a warranty claim

You want to experience 195 rwhp and that screaming top end

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Anyone having or had problems with their transmission? I just had mine fail at about 1700 miles. I always got tons of false neutrals on the bike. Now the bike just started falling out of gear as soon as I rolled off the gas. Now BMW is saying they are not going to warranty it because I have an Alpha quick shifter on there.

·
Vendor
3,157 Posts
Anyone having or had problems with their transmission? I just had mine fail at about 1700 miles. I always got tons of false neutrals on the bike. Now the bike just started falling out of gear as soon as I rolled off the gas. Now BMW is saying they are not going to warranty it because I have an Alpha quick shifter on there.
And you forgot to mention you have a BrenTune ECU that you have had lots of issues with the coding based on 'our' conversations.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
And you forgot to mention you have a BrenTune ECU that you have had lots of issues with the coding based on 'our' conversations.
No, I actually don't. And the Brentune has been removed since our last conversation which was some time ago. I don't need your ego right now, only known transmission problems with the bike. Thanks.

·
Vendor
3,157 Posts
The alpha QS for the K67 does not work on the BMSO ECU without coding from the RCK PRO QS sequence. That QS is designed for the BMS2M ECU, not the BMSO.
I think you better go back to your June 29th messages and there is no ego problem here. I was trying to help you for free and resolve your issues and you told BT I was involved and all the sudden they could fix your issue. Appears not however.

There are no transmission issues with the K67. That is one area that is working pretty good on the new engine platform. Try to find neutral is a matter of the clutch plates not releasing completely and BMW has worked on that issue since Sept 2019.

Reactions: A B

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
62 Posts
Don't get the stupid torque optimization map from BMW, it will compromise the amazing top end this bike is known for - get a Bren handheld when it goes on sale for Black Friday and load up a Stage 1 flash. Reportedly good for ~40-50 rwhp in the midrange and you can flash back to stock should you have a warranty claim

You want to experience 195 rwhp and that screaming top end
Is yours the race package?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've posted about this cylinder head ticking noise on other threads.. The dealership originally stated it was normal due to the shiftcam being comprised of two no friction pieces. I attached BMW's first explanation below.

I returned to the dealership for a different opinion. We turned on six other 2020 RR's, let them run and none ticked as loud as mine (most didn't tick at all). Loud enough that they are opening a Puma case to check to look further into the bike. The ticking is excessive
20200918_223327.jpg

·
Vendor
3,157 Posts
I've posted about this cylinder head ticking noise on other threads.. The dealership originally stated it was normal due to the shiftcam being comprised of two no friction pieces. I attached BMW's first explanation below.

I returned to the dealership for a different opinion. We turned on six other 2020 RR's, let them run and none ticked as loud as mine (most didn't tick at all). Loud enough that they are opening a Puma case to check to look further into the bike. The ticking is excessive
There is no fix for this. I have complained since day one of ownership which was June 6th 2020. I have 10,000 hard a$$ miles and it is still going and still ticking.

The new bikes on the floor will not tick until about 400 miles. That is when mine started. I now have 3 K67's. All 2020 with one being a EURO build version. The 900 miles engine only slightly ticks. The 1400 mile bike ticks but is less than my 10,000 mile bike.

I complained to the dealer and he told me to STFU and ride it until it blows and he will put in a new motor. @bennymx told me the same thing after I posted the same PUMA you have posted. It was released August 28 of 2019. BMW is fully aware of customer concerns.

The intention I have over the winter is to take my 10000 mile engine apart and see what is that darn ticking exactly. I have built many engines in my lifetime of mechanics and hopefully I can get some explanation and pics that brings better calm to people. At 10,000 miles the engine will still dyno 200HP at the rear tire on my XWORKS V1 code.

Your other thread on this too

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
The intention I have over the winter is to take my 10000 mile engine apart and see what is that darn ticking exactly. I have built many engines in my lifetime of mechanics and hopefully I can get some explanation and pics that brings better calm to people. At 10,000 miles the engine will still dyno 200HP at the rear tire on my XWORKS V1 code.
Very curious. Is it normal for the engines the same power level as day 1 even after 10000 miles (16000 kms!!!!) ? Wont the compression have changed due to carbon build up? What about other wear and tear?

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is no fix for this. I have complained since day one of ownership which was June 6th 2020. I have 10,000 hard a$$ miles and it is still going and still ticking.

The new bikes on the floor will not tick until about 400 miles. That is when mine started. I now have 3 K67's. All 2020 with one being a EURO build version. The 900 miles engine only slightly ticks. The 1400 mile bike ticks but is less than my 10,000 mile bike.

I complained to the dealer and he told me to STFU and ride it until it blows and he will put in a new motor. @bennymx told me the same thing after I posted the same PUMA you have posted.

I really do appreciate your posts on this ticking issue. That said, 3 of these bikes we turned on were customer bikes with mileage on them. Mine has been ticking since day one. The service manager agreed it was excessive. It would definitely give me peace of mind if they do go ahead and took a closer look.

There is always a chance something else needs to be addressed. I do look forward to what you find out about the engine. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I complained to the dealer and he told me to STFU and ride it until it blows and he will put in a new motor. @bennymx told me the same thing after I posted the same PUMA you have posted. It was released August 28 of 2019. BMW is fully aware of customer concerns.

Also normal to me would mean most k67's have this level of ticking, which evidently most are relatively quiet in comparison.

·
Vendor
3,157 Posts
Also normal to me would mean most k67's have this level of ticking, which evidently most are relatively quiet in comparison.
I gave you the MEGA link to my video. 2.72 MB file on MEGA it is far from quiet. I tease my friend at the Dragon in 2018 when I was on my 2018 S1000RR. He was on a Ducati 1199. that DUC rattled like a baby rattle. I regret teasing him now as he has rode with me on my 2020 and it rattles like a baby rattle.

You are correct in that different bike exhibit a different level of rattle. I have 3 K67's now. each is a little different. It flat does not make sense for this.

However, when you ride the K67 and you have your helmet on, zero noise can be detected and it is just miles of smiles.

·
Vendor
3,157 Posts
Very curious. Is it normal for the engines the same power level as day 1 even after 10000 miles (16000 kms!!!!) ? Wont the compression have changed due to carbon build up? What about other wear and tear?

You use to ride a GSXR? I did..

Not that Germany engineering is better, it is just better these days in build process and specifications. Today's engines with PROPER maintenance and not exceeding manufacture specifications of fan on temps ( 213F ) , IAT relocation ( air box middle upper ) , RPM not jacked to 15,000.. I think that 200HP at the rear tire is good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I gave you the MEGA link to my video. 2.72 MB file on MEGA it is far from quiet. I tease my friend at the Dragon in 2018 when I was on my 2018 S1000RR. He was on a Ducati 1199. that DUC rattled like a baby rattle. I regret teasing him now as he has rode with me on my 2020 and it rattles like a baby rattle.

You are correct in that different bike exhibit a different level of rattle. I have 3 K67's now. each is a little different. It flat does not make sense for this.

However, when you ride the K67 and you have your helmet on, zero noise can be detected and it is just miles of smiles.

Well I hear the ticking valve noise thru my helmet, it's quiet pronounced to about 6k rpm. Ear plugs definitely help..

I'll let you know what BMW does. The service manager is pushing to open the valve cover and double check everything. Perhaps it's something different all together like a loud injector. It seems to only tick on the right side of the bike.

There are many components beyond the shiftcam that can cause an audible click/ticking sound.

The motor runs smooth and strong otherwiss.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well I hear the ticking valve noise thru my helmet, it's quiet pronounced to about 6k rpm. Ear plugs definitely help..

I'll let you know what BMW does. The service manager is pushing to open the valve cover and double check everything. Perhaps it's something different all together like a loud injector. It seems to only tick on the right side of the bike.

There are many components beyond the shiftcam that can cause an audible click/ticking sound.
#mineticks I was told it’s just part of the character of the beem engine.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the 'torque optimization' software update that is available.
I had the dealer install the "Torque Optimization" map during the first service.

Having not compared it with a flashed bike, I like it. Power and torque are plenty. It wheelies in 3rd gear at 100 mph.

My K67 is an everyday bike. I commute, go to the store, ride for pleasure... not a race bike. It would be nice to have the remaining 20HP back, but even as it is, the bike is still great. On track, I am at the slower half of the B group, so I am not really limited by the bike. If you are a better rider, or like highway stunts, or can't get that nagging reminder that your bike could be even better and faster out of your head, then you know your answer...

If a tune could only fix the hp and torque curves, I probably would have flashed it by now. But in my experience, there is always a compromise. For example, I may be different than most in that I like the quiet exhaust and intake, and the smooth power buildup.

681 - 700 of 740 Posts