BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Gear pattern N-1-2-3-4-5-6 would be too easy solution...

Maybe some day manufacturers will notice that.
I rode a quad that had a neutral down and i didn’t like it. Granted the bike has a gear indicator but it’s a lot easier to just keep clicking down to get to first imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Gear pattern N-1-2-3-4-5-6 would be too easy solution...
Neutral is purposely hard to select unless the bike is stationary and, only then, to be selected by gently nudging the gear shift into neutral. Normal use of the gear shift from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd down to 1st, causes neutral to be skipped.

If the gears were configured N-1-2-3-4-5-6 when shifting down through the gears the rider would have to know when he is in first so as to not go down another position into neutral. Shifting unintentionally into neutral while moving and wanting to accelerate would be a problem. Of course, there can be a visual gear display but this would mean the rider would have to take his eyes off of the road to verify what gear he is in to avoid neutral.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Neutral is purposely hard to select unless the bike is stationary and, only then, to be selected by gently nudging the gear shift into neutral. Normal use of the gear shift from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd down to 1st, causes neutral to be skipped.

If the gears were configured N-1-2-3-4-5-6 when shifting down through the gears the rider would have to know when he is in first so as to not go down another position into neutral. Shifting unintentionally into neutral while moving and wanting to accelerate would be a problem. Of course, there can be a visual gear display but this would mean the rider would have to take his eyes off of the road to verify what gear he is in to avoid neutral.
If gear pattern is 1-N-2-3-4-5-6, Neutral can not be selected while bike is moving.

If gear pattern is N-1-2-3-4-5-6, Neutral can not be selected while bike is moving.

Where is the problem...?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Both.

I know you love to argue, but this is silly. Neutral is designed to be skipped, but this does not mean one cannot select it when the bike is moving.

Are you unable to shift into neutral when the bike is moving? If not, you need to work on being more sensitive to what the bike is telling you. As I noted above, you need to be gentle.

The issue, which you are ignoring, is why your suggestion of N-1-2-3-4-5-6 is a bad idea. See, click.

·
4,587 Posts
motoGP bikes solved this, N 1 2 3 ..... shift patter makes sense, have a safety button on handlebar to allows gear to go into N when it's pressed. Should not be that more expensive to have on production bikes, would work safer and better than N between 1st and 2nd.

I have seen false neutral cause so many crashes.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Both.

I know you love to argue, but this is silly. Neutral is designed to be skipped, but this does not mean one cannot select it when the bike is moving.

Are you unable to shift into neutral when the bike is moving? If not, you need to work on being more sensitive to what the bike is telling you. As I noted above, you need to be gentle.

The issue, which you are ignoring, is why your suggestion of N-1-2-3-4-5-6 is a bad idea. See, click.
How about if we jump to a solution where we have a N-1-2-3-4-5-6 gear pattern and Neutral can not be selected while bike is moving.

Is it then a good idea?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Either pattern is fine if there is a true neutral lockout like cars have locking out reverse if the car is moving.

I would however miss being able to put the bike into neutral when it is moving.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Adding something like the positive neutral finders on Kawasaki's wouldn't be a bad idea either

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone with neutral issues actually adjusted the clutch cable? I have no issues finding neutral. I’ll admit from mile 2 to 150ish it wasn’t perfect, but it wasn’t an ISSUE, more of a nuisance. I installed GB racing covers at 150ish miles and adjusted the clutch cable during install. Smooth as butter now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
No. Its not a recall. Only if you have a problem finding neutral and all else has been checked.
My neutral has become easier to find as I've put miles on it. I now rarely miss neutral though usually let out the clutch a bit, immediately put it in along with the neutral shift. The tiny bit of engine load puts the gearbox in a better place.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently took delivery of a S1000RR manufactured in late Sept. I can very easily (and repeatedly) find the neutral.

Its impossible to find the neutral on the demo bike at the dealership (manufactured in 03/19)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts