·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sidi
Alpinestars
Dainese
TCX

I need to get new boots. My new left ankle has made my current boots too tight. Due to my ankle I need close to maximum protection and flexibility. Range of motion is not on my side. I tried on the Alpinestars today at Cyclegear. They fit pretty good but they did feel a bit stiff as I sat there going through the up and down shifting motions. I'm sure they may loosen up a bit.

These Sidi boots look like they might be my answer. Anyone have experience with any of these boots or have recommendations? My current Dainese boots have white shift pads that turned an ugly yellowish color from the sun so my new boots will have a black shift pad.

I do aggressive street riding mostly and a few track days a year.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I need to get new boots. My new left ankle has made my current boots too tight. Due to my ankle I need close to maximum protection and flexibility.
I have the Sidi Vortice, which I think is the predecessor to the Rex you link. They are stiff, but the tensioners let you dial in how tight you want them to be at various spots. That might help with your ankle. Maybe try a 1/2 size larger than normal and really tighten the side with your good ankle? I don't really know what will work for you, but I like my Sidi boots and they've protected me in a few crashes.

One nice thing about the Vortice model (not the Rex) is that they have replaceable sole inserts for the ball of your foot. I have Attack rearsets and the aggressive pegs drill holes in my boot soles.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw that in the video but they said the vortice have slightly stiffer soles because of that and unfortunately I need as much flexibility as I can get.
I highly doubt I am anywhere close to the level of a rider you are so drilling holes in the soles may not be an issue with me.

·
4,646 Posts
I'm the >10k club president, having owned all boots you linked. The TCX is the only one that works for me street or track. The rest are good boots but not for guys with wide feet/ankles.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I saw that in the video but they said the vortice have slightly stiffer soles because of that and unfortunately I need as much flexibility as I can get.
I highly doubt I am anywhere close to the level of a rider you are so drilling holes in the soles may not be an issue with me.
In my mind I'm awesome! If I were better I probably wouldn't wear out my soles so much because I'd be carrying more weight on my outside leg.

Good luck. You might order a variety from Sportbike Track Gear or similar. Over the years STG and Revzilla have let me order all at once multiple suits or helmets in a variety of brands and sizes so I could try them all on and return what doesn't fit. They charged my card for everything and then reversed the charge for what I didn't keep. I had to pay some extra shipping but it was worth it to me. Consider checking with them or similar vendor - I bet they could help you out.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have a bad left ankle from childhood injuries, A* SMX Plus work fro me well due to the internal laces - they do loosen up after a few rides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts