BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put quite a few mods on the bike so far, and I'm sure there are plenty of people out there making their own choices for mods. Thought I'd share some pics and help you decide what you do or don't want or like. Information with these bikes is still just so limited.

LINK TO IMGUR HERE: MOD PICTURES

Puig Windscreen - Personally prefer to the M Race/MRA
M Race Windscreen - Tried (have for sale)

BMW Solo Cowl - Came as a bunch of pieces, BMW cracks me up with that. Looks nice though

Bestem Carbon Fiber - Probably what I've seen least on the forum. Aesthetic of these are great, had very minimal fitment issues. They cost half of what Ilumberger does.
Bestem CF Tank Panels - Losing the painted piece on the tank panels was a questionable move. Ilumberger makes one that retains that. After having them on with all the black added to the bike I've come to like it
Bestem CF Underlay on the tail and Nose Piece - I group these two because they both have that silver mesh screen. I may pull this off and paint the screen black. Otherwise I'm a fan of these pieces.
Bestem CF Side panels - These were the toughest to fit actually. They use posts held by rubber grommets on the bike and without some flex it was a bit of a pain to install.

Akrapovic Evo Full Ti system - Seen plenty on here. On my 12 and 15 I ran the shorty Arrow, but I do not know what they were thinking for the 2020 model. Akra sounds and looks great. Needs a full belly pan though to complete the look.
Akrapovic Over priced CF Heat Shield - Classic Akrapovic

Driven Halo Gas Tank Lid - Hadnt used this before, impressed with it

Gilles Rearsets - Looong story on these, careful when you install them. That said they are nice. The footrest doesn't have as much bite as I'd hoped. Wish Attack would hurry up with their version.
Gilles Spools - These have a sticker for the logo over the screw. Not a huge fan of that design, but overall they look nice and handle the bevel in the swingarm.

GB Covers - Not much to say here. Sad to cover some of the color on the bike but worth it.

Evo Fender Elim Kit - Better than stock, but outdone by the coming NRC one imo

More to come with OZ Cattiva WSBK wheels, Ilumberger Belly Pan, Lightech Chain adjusters, NRC Tailight, 520 Conversion and RCS19

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've put quite a few mods on the bike so far, and I'm sure there are plenty of people out there making their own choices for mods. Thought I'd share some pics and help you decide what you do or don't want or like. Information with these bikes is still just so limited.

LINK TO IMGUR HERE: MOD PICTURES

Puig Windscreen - Personally prefer to the M Race/MRA
M Race Windscreen - Tried (have for sale)

BMW Solo Cowl - Came as a bunch of pieces, BMW cracks me up with that. Looks nice though

Bestem Carbon Fiber - Probably what I've seen least on the forum. Aesthetic of these are great, had very minimal fitment issues. They cost half of what Ilumberger does.
Bestem CF Tank Panels - Losing the painted piece on the tank panels was a questionable move. Ilumberger makes one that retains that. After having them on with all the black added to the bike I've come to like it
Bestem CF Underlay on the tail and Nose Piece - I group these two because they both have that silver mesh screen. I may pull this off and paint the screen black. Otherwise I'm a fan of these pieces.
Bestem CF Side panels - These were the toughest to fit actually. They use posts held by rubber grommets on the bike and without some flex it was a bit of a pain to install.

Akrapovic Evo Full Ti system - Seen plenty on here. On my 12 and 15 I ran the shorty Arrow, but I do not know what they were thinking for the 2020 model. Akra sounds and looks great. Needs a full belly pan though to complete the look.
Akrapovic Over priced CF Heat Shield - Classic Akrapovic

Driven Halo Gas Tank Lid - Hadnt used this before, impressed with it

Gilles Rearsets - Looong story on these, careful when you install them. That said they are nice. The footrest doesn't have as much bite as I'd hoped. Wish Attack would hurry up with their version.
Gilles Spools - These have a sticker for the logo over the screw. Not a huge fan of that design, but overall they look nice and handle the bevel in the swingarm.

GB Covers - Not much to say here. Sad to cover some of the color on the bike but worth it.

Evo Fender Elim Kit - Better than stock, but outdone by the coming NRC one imo

More to come with OZ Cattiva WSBK wheels, Ilumberger Belly Pan, Lightech Chain adjusters, NRC Tailight, 520 Conversion and RCS19
What happened to the wheels in that photo album?

·
Vendor
2,071 Posts
What happened to the wheels in that photo album?
He had a slight install issue with the rearsets.

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bmw-s1000rr-general-discussion/241606-2020-s1krr-gilles-rearsets-rear-brake-components-cf-wheel-failure-debris.html

I had this same issue on a GSXR I had purchased from someone back in 2012. Seller had put aftermarket rearsets on and for whatever reason within 500 miles of me getting it and riding it, the rear caliper master decided to apply slightly and melted the pads to the rotor. Thankfully it was a cast wheel and only the caliper and pads were destroyed.

·
Vendor
2,071 Posts
I am not sure if you are looking for people to add on to your posting on mod'ed 2020... but, I will run with you on this...

Puig Windscreen - I like this unit because it has the wind channels in it. Also I have this same windscreen on my 15 and 18. My 17 is still in the rebuilding stages.

Akrapovic Evo Full Ti system - On my 15 and 18 I have the shorty Arrow also.

Driven Halo Gas Tank Lid - I have the blue lid option

EVOTECH radiator guards

XWORKS new tail tidy

GB Covers - When you remove the left side stator GB cover you are going to be disappointed in that the cover vibrates so bad it digs into the stator cover paint and really messes it up.

Lightech cobalt blue adjusters

Air tract funnel door delete

2D front suspension sensor

2D HP DataLogger

Brembo GP4 calipers

Brembo Z04 pads

Brembo CNC MotoGP Master 19x18 front

ASV Brembo Master Lever

Alpha 6mm front rotors

BMW ///M Clutch lever

Vortex 15T front sprocket

Carbonin Avio Fiber WSBK Bodywork ( track days and CMRA racing )

XWORKS ECU

XWORKS HandHeld for going from Stock, XWORKS-1, XWORKS-2, XWORKS-3 ECU code ( all these are in development and PM for details )

Steve Weir Racing DTC coding adjustments ( future mod release with XWORKS code ) https://www.instagram.com/weireverywhereracing/?hl=en

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am not sure if you are looking for people to add on to your posting on mod'ed 2020... but, I will run with you on this...

Puig Windscreen - I like this unit because it has the wind channels in it. Also I have this same windscreen on my 15 and 18. My 17 is still in the rebuilding stages.

Akrapovic Evo Full Ti system - On my 15 and 18 I have the shorty Arrow also.

Driven Halo Gas Tank Lid - I have the blue lid option

GB Covers - When you remove the left side stator GB cover you are going to be disappointed in that the cover vibrates so bad it digs into the stator cover paint and really messes it up.

Lightech cobalt blue adjusters

Air tract funnel door delete

2D front suspension sensor

2D HP DataLogger

Brembo GP4 calipers

Brembo Z04 pads

Brembo CNC MotoGP Master 19x18 front

ASV Brembo Master Lever

Alpha 6mm front rotors

BMW ///M Clutch lever

Vortex 15T front sprocket

Carbonin Avio Fiber WSBK Bodywork ( track days and CMRA racing )

XWORKS ECU

XWORKS HandHeld for going from Stock, XWORKS-1, XWORKS-2, XWORKS-3 ECU code ( all these are in development and PM for details )

Steve Weir Racing DTC coding adjustments ( future mod release with XWORKS code ) https://www.instagram.com/weireverywhereracing/?hl=en
I don't do any of the blingy stuff like CF. I just don't care. So far I have purely vanilla functional stuff like:
  • Brentuning handheld ///M+, which seems better suited to my use than their Stage 1.
  • Stompgrips Super Volcano clear tank grips. I first ordered the R&G, but they were cut wrong. I also got some horse-riding saddle stickum spray, which works great.
  • Dual USB outlets on the triple-tree and a center-column RAM X-Grip for my phone.
  • R&G frame sliders
  • GB Racing cover set (ordered, not yet installed)
  • BMW spools. Put Bull rear stand and paddock front stand.
I'll probably get radiator and oil cooler guards along with bar ends for protection.

Please tell me about the Puig screen. I'm 6'2" and would like higher/more deflection. I don't like the way the MRA fits from videos I've seen.

I hate super loud noise and thus am keeping the stock exhaust unless I get the new XR and turn the RR into a pure track bike. I might then get a full system and fairing replacements.

Speaking of a full exhaust system, did you see the Austin Racing setup here? It's pretty cool, but too effing loud for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Please tell me about the Puig screen. I'm 6'2" and would like higher/more deflection. I don't like the way the MRA fits from videos I've seen.
I have the Puig 3571F Dark Smoke. I love it. It's only like 2 inches higher than stock, but gained a ton of wind deflation due to its design. I as well am 6'2" and this screen is awesome for me. The dark smoke is very very dark. Looks really awesome.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have the Puig 3571F Dark Smoke. I love it. It's only like 2 inches higher than stock, but gained a ton of wind deflation due to its design. I as well am 6'2" and this screen is awesome for me. The dark smoke is very very dark. Looks really awesome.
Thanks, this is helpful. I would get the clear instead of smoke for both better vision and video purposes, but I want better wind deflection. Is the aerodynamic flow smooth at very high speed, or would you recommend putting back the stock screen for track days? I'm thinking about the long back straight at COTA where speeds get ridiculously high (over 185 mph).

·
Vendor
2,071 Posts
Thanks, this is helpful. I would get the clear instead of smoke for both better vision and video purposes, but I want better wind deflection. Is the aerodynamic flow smooth at very high speed, or would you recommend putting back the stock screen for track days? I'm thinking about the long back straight at COTA where speeds get ridiculously high (over 185 mph).
I have the Puig Light Smoke for my street riding. The light smoke is not near as dark as the full dark version. Then I have the Carbonin Race body with the stock clear windscreen on it. It took 2 weeks for that Puig to ship to me from Italy. At the time I didnt see anyone stocking it in the USA.

The back straight at COTA I have hit 196 on my 2015. Have not had my K67 there yet. Waiting on the weather forecast for the Nov 30th date to make my full decision to go there. I have my spot in Level 3, but, I can sell it pretty easy too if I decide it is just too cold and damp to be there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is the aerodynamic flow smooth at very high speed, or would you recommend putting back the stock screen for track days? I'm thinking about the long back straight at COTA where speeds get ridiculously high (over 185 mph).
I wouldn't consider the stock one for anything after the Puig replacement. It's perfectly tall enough for a really solid tuck. My eye line is right at the very top of the screen. You can get lower but your chin would bounce off the tank lol. Get it. You'll be happy.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have the Puig Light Smoke for my street riding. The light smoke is not near as dark as the full dark version. Then I have the Carbonin Race body with the stock clear windscreen on it. It took 2 weeks for that Puig to ship to me from Italy. At the time I didnt see anyone stocking it in the USA.

The back straight at COTA I have hit 196 on my 2015. Have not had my K67 there yet. Waiting on the weather forecast for the Nov 30th date to make my full decision to go there. I have my spot in Level 3, but, I can sell it pretty easy too if I decide it is just too cold and damp to be there.
You'll hit 200 on your tuned 2020 RR. Man that's scary fast.

This is my first time at COTA on a bike and so I'm starting in 2b, which is probably a good place for me. I'm praying for good weather. I'm preparing by watching some videos to get to know the track some, though the real thing will be quite different. I've only been on slower technical tracks like Willow Springs (The Streets track) and Vegas (Outside Road Course) via CSS. COTA will be very different.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys, and yeah @BMW_388 just thought we'd get some dialog and picture share going on mods. Mods are personal for everyone and for different applications. Always great to hear from someone that actually has the one you're considering for your bike.

When you bought the rotors BMW_388 I was looking at the Alpha Rotors, would you recommend Brembo over them? Fitment issues at all? I'm trying to setup a 2nd set of wheels with the OZ WSBK ones. ABS rings, Rotors and all front and back.

@xKtF - Serious mishap with brake drag and lots of heat.

Puig - Good to hear on so many others liking the Puig windscreen. I go clear for visibility these days. Used to always use a Zero Gravity, but they are so slow with R&D.

LighTech Chain Adjusters - Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but the old ones definitely don't fit well on the 2020, had to order new model ones.

@Tom Bernhardt - understood on the CF. The matte plastic being so big bothers me, and Bestem is so much cheaper than Ilm had to give it a shot. Knowing BMW the Bestem CF is cheaper than the plastic BMW replacement.

I did see that Austin Racing setup, looks nice! It sounded like they gave it to Motonosity. Agree on crazy loud though. After the shorty arrow wanted a little more reduced noise.

If we all end up at CotA we'll have to introduce ourselves. Not sure my bike is going to be ready in time though...or like Tom fears the weather may be terrible.

Have any of you tried the AIM Solo 2 DL with the 2020 and a smartycam? Been considering that

·
Registered
256 Posts
Have any of you tried the AIM Solo 2 DL with the 2020 and a smartycam? Been considering that
I looked at their website, but I don't want yet another display. I don't see how their camera/video overlay integration works from their material. While I see a photo of the 2020 RR, it only mentions support through 2019. In some places this is the K67, not others, so it is unclear whether it supports our bike. I do know that as of early Sept a couple of months ago, CSS still hadn't found a good solution for their 2020 RR camera bikes. Unlike the 2018s where they had full telemetry data overlay, they only have raw video now and are waiting for someone to solve the issue.

Ideally I would like a simpler and more flexible solution, e.g., a small module placed under the seat, connected to the OBDII port, and that streams the data to your phone via Bluetooth or Wifi for data storage and maybe an app for display. A plug-in for Adobe Premier Pro would be a plus in producing the video overlay in various forms/subsets.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I looked at their website, but I don't want yet another display. I don't see how their camera/video overlay integration works from their material. While I see a photo of the 2020 RR, it only mentions support through 2019. In some places this is the K67, not others, so it is unclear whether it supports our bike. I do know that as of early Sept a couple of months ago, CSS still hadn't found a good solution for their 2020 RR camera bikes. Unlike the 2018s where they had full telemetry data overlay, they only have raw video now and are waiting for someone to solve the issue.

Ideally I would like a simpler and more flexible solution, e.g., a small module placed under the seat, connected to the OBDII port, and that streams the data to your phone via Bluetooth or Wifi for data storage and maybe an app for display. A plug-in for Adobe Premier Pro would be a plus in producing the video overlay in various forms/subsets.
Oh, one more thing. I am pursuing the purchase and mounting of an Insta360 One X for the COTA track day. Positioned near the front of the tank, it will provide:
  • Front view (through windscreen) and angles (e.g., turn-in views)
  • TFT console (Sport console) showing speed, RPM, lean, braking, DTC intervention, lap timer.
  • Head and upper body position/orientation. Maybe lower body on one side if mounted offset a bit.
  • Both hands showing throttle and braking, any stiffness/tension, etc.
This should provide more than enough information for me (and others) to analyze all of the ways my riding sucks and needs to be improved.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, one more thing. I am pursuing the purchase and mounting of an Insta360 One X for the COTA track day. Positioned near the front of the tank, it will provide:
  • Front view (through windscreen) and angles (e.g., turn-in views)
  • TFT console (Sport console) showing speed, RPM, lean, braking, DTC intervention, lap timer.
  • Head and upper body position/orientation. Maybe lower body on one side if mounted offset a bit.
  • Both hands showing throttle and braking, any stiffness/tension, etc.
This should provide more than enough information for me (and others) to analyze all of the ways my riding sucks and needs to be improved.
The features of that camera look pretty great. For tank mount do you think it will be in your way of getting down on the tank? Looks pretty tall. Randy(Ridesmart instructor forever) gave me a hard time about my tank mount go pro a long time ago for that reason.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Insta360 One X placement

The features of that camera look pretty great. For tank mount do you think it will be in your way of getting down on the tank? Looks pretty tall. Randy(Ridesmart instructor forever) gave me a hard time about my tank mount go pro a long time ago for that reason.
I'm getting the Insta360 One X in a couple of days and will experiment some. I doubt it will actually go on the tank front for the reason you cite. After all, to get to 200 mph on the back straight will require a full tuck before crashing into the gravel in turn 12. I've decided to be pretty conservative in my first COTA sojourn.

I have a RAM ball mount in my steering column that I can use along with an extension arm that can go in any direction. I also ordered a very narrow handlebar clamp where I could use the bar gap next to the clutch lever for mounting to get the left side body position, though the TFT console view would be pretty angled from there. I figure that the left-side view is better for COTA given it's a counter-clockwise route and thus has 360" more left than right total turn.

I should have a more informed perspective on the optimal placement in a week or two following experimentation.

In case you missed it, here is a video someone did with the GoPro Fusion mounted on the front of the tank of the 2020 RR. At 6:19 and you will see the mount and stitch line right at where the red meets the white near the tank front. I think the Insta360 One X has a bit better quality, per reviews, and certainly is far easier to use with its auto-stitching. Overlaying the TFT console view in a small window atop the main view might yield the best production quality.

https://youtu.be/mryabmW8_9g

Weather gods permitting, I'll see you at COTA in a few weeks. We'll recognize each other by our new MSport 2020 RRs.

·
Vendor
2,071 Posts

·
Vendor
2,071 Posts
I got some new and my old pics to share on my mods now.

helps I own all these too

2020 K67 ///M Programmed XWORKS ECU by me
2018 K46 RCK3 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
2017 K46 RCK3 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
2015 K46 RCK3 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
2014 K46 RCK2 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me

all these have their place in use, but I really enjoy the K67 overall on the track. You just got to have a ECU resolution to really enjoy the power.

·
Registered
256 Posts
From the picture at least that's not it.

https://www.motovationusa.com/racing-windscreen-by-puig-best-bmw-s1000rr-3571.html

These guys are actually in Austin too
Thanks. Please help me a bit.

The product description says it is 40mm taller than the OEM, but it doesn't look that way in the linked photo. Is the photo wrong relative to what you have? My OEM clear extends about 6.5 cm beyond the white corner of the fairing where it attaches.

The curve of my standard M windscreen goes about 14 cm perpendicular to the straight line connecting the edges. The linked photo doesn't appear to have a greater/steeper curve, though the Revzilla linked photo looks much steeper. I assume that a larger/steeper curve, especially with a longer windscreen, will yield more/higher wind deflection, but I can't reconcile this with the photo. Is the product way different/better than the photo would indicate? I guess I hoping for some confirmation before I press Buy and am later disappointed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts