BMW S1000RR Forum banner

2020 M Recent Delivery? (2nd Wave?)

13K views 55 replies 21 participants last post by  Valhalla64 
#1 ·
I'm in Central Texas and I've had a 2020 M on order since the beginning of June. I'm 'first' in line and have been since the beginning of June. I don't have a production number or 7 of the VIN yet. When contacted, the dealer has no new information for me. There was the rumor about supplier issues and factory shutdown on this forum, but I haven't seen anything official, or about them restarting or still down etc.

What are any of you hearing? Have you received your M bike post June/July/August (2nd wave essentially)? Do you have a production number assigned?

It's 100 degree days in Texas right now, so not missing out on much, but the silence is irking me.

Thanks!

#7 ·
Mine was going to be due late Aug to early Sept following the resumption of production, but one came in a couple of weeks ago for me. Mine had a build date in May, so apparently they had stock they needed to examine for the fault that caused the production halt and then released the ones that passed inspection.

#10 ·
I heard production started again, some members from the German RR forum have got theirs just now with production dates on their bikes of mid-August. My dealer told me it is open again and I should see mine coming soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I heard production started again, some members from the German RR forum have got theirs just now with production dates on their bikes of mid-August. My dealer told me it is open again and I should see mine coming soon!
I heard from my dealer yesterday and he said, the district manager for BMW told him there will be a limited number of bikes that will be going into production in September. He can not tell me who will be getting this limited amount. He also said that BMW will be emailing [me] direct in the near future. [They] gave them everyone's info who had ordered the S 1000 RR as per their request.

I also rode a 2020 at CotA last weekend, and wow is the 2nd/3rd gear restriction real. My 2015 S1000RR and '15 R1 pulled so much harder out of corners in that 4-8k rpm range. A 2020 will have to have the flash without question.

#14 ·
Well, I got a letter from BMW Motorrad today saying they were sorry for the delay, next production is in late Sept and gave me a credit to use towards accessories for the bike once it does show up. This means a lot seeing as in 2015 after the R1's transmission issue the bike sat for 3 months then they tore it apart and gave it back. Yamaha did not say sorry or offer any sort of compensation. Makes me happy to be a BMW customer.

#16 ·
Agreed on BMW's after sales support. I've had good experiences also.

I ordered my new bike in March and is currently due for October production and December delivery at best I'm advised after dealer looked up the portal and build number. Just bought a 2015 model to tie me over until then. The delivery date keeps getting moved back all the time and I couldn't wait anymore to get back on the road.

#22 ·
I currently have ASAP access and AIR. Just thought I would dig at a few VIN's

ZJ28125 this one was just made August 30th. It appears to be USA option'ed out.

I programmed ZJ28017 just a few days ago with XWORKS. It is in Canada. The build date on it was July 4th.

So there are not many sitting in Germany waiting to get on the boat or cargo plane at this time. I would think they try to ship at least 200 at a time.

#30 ·
Well the usual protection :

DONE engine cases,
DONE race stand spools,
DONE tft protector
frame slider,

Rideability :

New levers
New Rearsets
DONE Tankpads from Stompgrip

Sound:
probably will go with tune and the open valves hopefully sound good enough for me with this sexy SC project shorty on it.

And then there will be some vanity bits like carbon fibre passenger seat cover, race track cover set ..

I think that's really all I need to make it my track and canyon weapon .. crash protection , ecu flash and some pieces to hold on to :D

Attachments

#31 ·
Well the usual protection :
DONE engine cases,
DONE race stand spools,
DONE tft protector
frame slider,

Ride-ability :
New levers
New Rearsets
DONE Tankpads from Stompgrip

Sound:
probably will go with tune and the open valves hopefully sound good enough for me with this sexy SC project shorty on it.

And then there will be some vanity bits like carbon fibre passenger seat cover, race track cover set ..
I think that's really all I need to make it my track and canyon weapon .. crash protection , ecu flash and some pieces to hold on to :D
Sounds like a great build. After riding a 2020 at CotA a couple weeks ago, the tune is at the top of list for me. Thought about an RCS19 instead of the levers?

#38 ·
I just learned that mine is scheduled for production. Not sure what that means for delivery date. Hopefully in time to do break in and make whatever mods I think it needs before spring riding and track days.

Time to start collecting parts I already know I need!

I'm glad for that - otherwise I'd wind up with socks for Christmas.

#39 ·
I just learned that mine is scheduled for production. Not sure what that means for delivery date. Hopefully in time to do break in and make whatever mods I think it needs before spring riding and track days.

Time to start collecting parts I already know I need!

I'm glad for that - otherwise I'd wind up with socks for Christmas.

Ok then that means oil coolers are finally available in the plant.

#41 ·
Yeah I wonder what that means for people who have their bikes in the warehouse on hold? They are saying the recall is to start on the 27th does that mean sales will start up that day too?
There seem to be three constituencies for the new batch of oil coolers. If I had to guess the priority, it would be:

1. Those waiting for delivery in warehouses
  2. Those in the factory awaiting completion
  3. Recall replacements for existing owners

If BMW feels there is real legal liability, then they would push #3 up. I haven't heard from my dealer on the recall part availability, so my guess is that the risks are small in their eyes.

#48 ·
Anyone getting any information from their dealers about their bikes if they are being shipped. I was told they normally get a carrier information on the bikes and eta but it seems like my bike has no Information except the fact that it is in transit. Although it has been in transit for 2 months now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#49 ·
My guess is that "in transit" may have meant in transit to the warehouse- where the bikes would've been kept as they waited for the new oiler coolers to come in. "In transit to warehouse" and "shipped"-meaning the bike is floating- are two different codes in BMWs system from what I understand. Mine was in that warehouse phase for about two months as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.